Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Glad to hear you got the ISO...that card should kick pretty good with those speakers..enjoy.
    @Vole, if your willing to spend money on a video card to have nice graphics for your games why wouldn't you spend money on a soundcard/speakers to have great sound for your games. I fell sorry for people using onboards they never know what they are missing in terms of gaming sound...your games come to life...

2. Vole

Vole Master Guru

GPU:
    6800PCI-E/256mb/464:895
    Yes, well as I was saying if you have the money look at my system not the greatest it still gets the job done and I do have a creative live soundblaster, butt it takes up a slot that I use for a fan to cool my video card so I have to take a hit.

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yeah the 5500s kick ass, there bass sound is so deep, its really good, i also swapped my front two speakers with my speakers from my sony HIFI, each speaker has 2x100W 9 inch, and two tweaters, this just blew me away of how good it sounds by just changing the front speakers, the little speakers are REaly realy good but i wanted to see what the AMP in this set could do, and im impressed, ive had it for abour half a year now, i would never replace them :p

4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    just did, I have the A2 ZS ISO and the A4 ISO tucked away..I was using all the apps for the A4..recently I followed your thread..I am using those drivers for now..

6. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    yeah rob..im still unsure..do help me over this..im getting this card today..its on your opinion btw..audigy 4 retail or audigy 2 zs OEM which the shop at my place doesnt have the ISO cd...

7. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  8. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    any special drivers for xfi extreme music edition?
    and if so what do they improve upon?
    btw good info you are giving

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    No not "special drivers", there is probly a pack out there that just installs the driver, and some tweaks with no programs, to let your computer run a bit faster

10. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    well robscix and sniper thanks for the help..i went to the shop that's selling the A2ZS and i ask them to take out the card..he took it out and the first thing i saw was the lack of the gold plated jacks and no firewire..but then on the pcb it was stamped Audigy 2 zs..but just couldnt trust those guys coz maybe they rebranded Au2 value..yeah it looks similiar to the A2Value..well i just let it go went to another shop and order the Audigy 4 instead.The reason i couldnt find another shop that's selling the ZS is becoz the ZS is nearly obsolete in my country - Malaysia, i guess that's because Creative(Singaporean) stopped shipping Audigy 2 ZS and the first to feel the impact would be my country which is their neighbour..btw i'll leave the conclusion to you guys(the xpert) whether its okay or not to take the Audigy 4.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Ok, so how does the Audigy SE rank compared to these other cards?

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    NO AUDIGY SE's they are not desireable. I see you have one. -it is better than onboard in terms of sound quality but it still hits the CPU for processing-which is bad.. As far as the A2ZS goes it is probably just a OEM version.. It is just a A2 Zs...BUT if something is telling you not to buy it..then Don't...did you ask him what the return policy is?

13. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
  14. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    hmm..didnt ask him that one..but he does state clearly its one year warranty as normal retail..the only thing that bugs me the most is the card doesnt have firewire and they jacks are not gold plates as ive seen in pictures of zs and its using the color coded one as of audigy 2/4.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Sirlink, if you can return then do it. the card does not contain a Dedicated 10KX processor -these chips are included in almost ALL other Creative labs cards. So this Audigy SE performs like a onboard -meaning it does not take any load off the CPU. See with most add in cards they have a dedicated DSP chips that take care of audio task so the CPU can do other things. THat is not the case with these cards. Ok I looked through the links you posted and I want to ask which one looks good to you? as features you want? -they are ALL better choices than the Audigy SE... I am not trying to bad mouth your hardware I am just telling you the way it is. That card is not what you want.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006

16. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    robscix..bout audigy 4..what do u think bout it..does it use the same dsp with audigy 2 ?

17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I say get it, that audigy 2 you were looking at sounds dodgy, You will be happy with it

18. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Ok cool! Thanks... :)

Well the Audigy4 is the best value of the 3, it would only be $40 after rebate. They all state they will run 5.1, which is my major requirement. But is that X-Fi really worth that much more? What are some of those features they are talking about mean and are they worth the extra cost?

The other difference I see is support for EAXHD5 vers. EAXHD4 on the Audigy4 card. Is that really a tie breaker? Is there any support for the newer EAX standard?

What are these features on the X-FI?
    X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer™
    X-Fi CMSS®-3D

19. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    thanx sniper..ive ordered the card :)..will be getting it on friday..

im going to pair it with edifier s4.1..well its quite cheap at my place..

20. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    if i knew what a edifer was i would say good stuff but i dont..

is it some kind of Transfuctionor??