Where can I download D3DOverrider?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nikavelli, Oct 20, 2011.

1. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    May be a dumb question for some but does anyone know where I can download the D3DOverrider executable/files without having to download & install RivaTuner?

And a side note, does anyone even use rivatuner anymore? Would be nice if Guru3D could decouple the two programs and just put D3DOverrider up for download considering it's still relevent today.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thank you White.

4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Some of us more advanced users still use RT for its hardware monitoring features, among other things. Unwinder may resurrect RT someday with a new version, but for now he doesn't have the time for it.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey WhiteLightning. Unfortunately the file you uploaded is no longer hosted. Would you mind setting it up again please?

I wish there was a way to only install D3DOverrider when downloading the whole RivaTuner package :)

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sadly enough D3DOverrider does not work with 64-Bit Applications such as WoW 64-Bit.

Sooner or later it will be useless for everything unless someone writes a new one.

8. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX570 @ 880MHz
    As an alternative to the D3DOverrider I've gone over to forcing adaptive v-sync for most games.

The overrider was most useful for me when a game showed signs of input lag with the ingame v-sync. Even if the game clearly used triple buffering, since framerates other than 30 and 60 were possible, there was noticable mouse lag. D3DOverrider improved that lag in most cases, but a certain amount was usually still there.

While adaptive v-sync has the disadvantage of causing tearing when you get under 60fps, you can disable any triple buffering in the game itself - if the option exists. That way there is next to zero input lag, especially if you combine this with a low pre-render limit in the driver. So, while D3DOverrider often worked as a stop-gap solution, adaptive v-sync offers the best of both worlds. Zero input lag and no tearing as soon as 60fps are reached.

9. GabeA

GabeA Guest

GPU:
    550M@823/1140RAM (GF116)
    One could say triple buffering provides nearly the best of 2/3 worlds, and the best in the third, depending on your perspective. Triple buffering offers a double-swap refresh turnaround, which combined with low prerender settings and a framerate limit of 58fps in the driver settings, produces very little input lag. Not that it even matters for some games (single-player or non FPS, I'm looking at you!). Nearly the best. It also allows framerate to creep up to levels close to they are without vsync -- nearly the best of the framerate world.

But best of all it provides no screen tearing -- the best of the visual world. For a more 'realistic' experience in many games, ugly vertical screen tearing is a huge detractor.

Generally speaking, if your framerates stick around 60fps most of the time and you play competitive/FPS games, go with adaptive vsync. If not and your framerates average somewhere between 25-55, go with triple buffering or else your game will be a heavily distracting tearing jamboree -- not only will it tear more often, but the tears will last longer on the screen due to the framerate, and the difference in input lag is negligible at best. The worst of all worlds, pretty much.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  10. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Works great for metro 2033, one of my faves. had d3d overider b4 (just installed an ssd) but thanks for linking me to it this time round!

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  12. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I don't have problems running the original D3DOvedrrider on DX11 games, what is the difference in the version you posted?

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

No idea, I didn't download any of the others, just posted another link for OP

14. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    With the nature of Direct3D (some people referring to it as a "render-ahead" technique), I don't think it's uncommon for an application to yield FPS between 30 and 60 even if only "double-buffered".

The majority of input lag associated with vsync is caused by the additional frames pre-processed by the CPU, and that's why limiting FPS can also help (as GabeA mentioned).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I always thought FPS was commonly measured by buffer swaps, then render ahead shouldn't have any effect on it, I may be wrong though.

16. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    This is why NVIDIA (and ATI for that matter) only ever supported triple buffering for OpenGL applications.

Notice that they've removed pre-render limit 0 in r300 and later drivers, because it can have such a negative effect on FPS.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super