Windows 8 High DPC latency Fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Jan 27, 2013.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]LatencyMon supports the following operating systems: [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 2012 Server 32-bit editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 2012 Server x64 editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 8 32-bit editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 8 x64 editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 2008 Server 32-bit editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 2008 Server x64 editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 7 32-bit editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows 7 x64 editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows Vista 32-bit editions [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Windows Vista x64 editions [/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]NOTE: Because LatencyMon relies on ETW tracing it does not support any version or edition of Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server. [/FONT]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DPC Latency
    Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

DPC Latency Checker for Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows 2000

So yes one of the toolls does work officialy and one doesnt

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Old inaccurate info is old inaccurate info:

Note This problem is resolved in the release versions of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727113

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    whats with that guy? 2 fake driver threads now this?

4. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    well looks like didn't fix mine im keeping dynamictick to off I like looking at 7 us dpc latency.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Personally, given your habits, I automatically assume whatever you post isn't credible.

6. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    I got sum extra cookies want sum? lol

7. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Zzz, please just ban for ignorance.

8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    is there anymore latency program to download? for further testing? here are some more proof that dynamic tick solves issue and improve performance this is dated 11/28/2012 which I belive is way pass the full rtm version release of windows 8

I think this is a very good credibility ;) if u play secret world try turning it off see if helps

"I was able to switch back to DX11 with Ultra settings and run at about 90% efficiency by turning on high performance and turning off dynamic ticks in Windows 8. I still have a little stutter every once in a while, but it's running much smoother with these two fixes. These were posted by someone else on page 4 of this thread, but here they are again. Give them a try and let us know if they worked for you."

Link: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60719&page=7

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Why install Win 8 on a Mac anyway? Besides, I haven't seen the dynamic tick issue being a problem since the Windows 8 pre launch 'releases' and its mostly a problem with immature graphics drivers.

10. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    heres one from secret world disabling dynamictick improves performance and solves issue. the date is 11/28/2012 which is way pass the full version released of windows 8

"I was able to switch back to DX11 with Ultra settings and run at about 90% efficiency by turning on high performance and turning off dynamic ticks in Windows 8. I still have a little stutter every once in a while, but it's running much smoother with these two fixes. These were posted by someone else on page 4 of this thread, but here they are again. Give them a try and let us know if they worked for you."

wonder why when he disable dynamictick he gets an improve performance and solves his issues now on the other hand my DPC latency drop big time so its doing both way solves issues and improve performance

you know i was thinking of reverting back to windows 7 until i found this trick now im loving windows 8 even more.

link: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60719&page=7

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Random threads on the internet are not proof of anything. I get lower DPC latency than yours just by disabling my onboard NIC.

[​IMG]

12. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    There is no proof that the person in question was running the release version of Win 8.

MS apparently fixed this issue for release:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727113

I have heard no other person reporting this issue across any of the forums I frequent.

Most of these issues seem to be something related to old hardware and some kind of incompatibility between the BIOS and the OS, usually when it does not implement HPET properly.

FYI if you have Windows 8 just put HPET to 64 bit (assuming you are running 64 bit W8) and leave it there.

13. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    i see but u have a very high pagefault resolution that's 1227 compare to 0 on mine. anyway i took another screenshots let latency mon ran for 30 seconds i got 4 for kernel and 0 for pagefault resolution and i don't have to disable any hardware lol maybe that dynamic tick oughta put that 1227 to 0? that's kinda excessive high man

[​IMG]

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Explain what you think that means. Then run the program for more than 3 seconds say, a minute or so. Then post your results.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Some times my kernel latency is less than one. You're posting random nonsense because you don't know what you're looking at.

16. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    i ran 7 seconds of next flix high definition that's pretty tasking 1080i and still stayed at 0 but my kernel went up from 4 to 5 lol and the good thing is i don't have to disable any hardware ;) come on why would u wanna disable a hardware just to get ur latency down? when u can just disable dynamic tick and u don't have to disable ur hardware and still get a nice low dpc latency now don't that sound better?

[​IMG]

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Meaning you can't explain what you were citing. Oh well I gave you an extra chance.

BTW, I don't know why you'd claim running 1080i video in a window would be taxing. LOL

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    how about running a benchmark called Unigen now that's pretty taxing hehehe well its uses my video card and my cpu yay! for 14 seconds and still get 0 pagefile resolution which is awesome and my kernel went from 4-6 and I get to keep all my hardware enabled ;) well im not going to argue with u, u can keep ur method of disabling hardware to drop ur dpc and I keep my method of keeping a nice low dpc without disabling any hardware :)

[​IMG]

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    How about just saying you don't have faintest idea about the numbers you're citing and what they mean? Hint, under load, DPC is usually lower.

20. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    but mine isn't under load its loading a program ;) and it still 0 pagefault dpc ehehhe maybe I need to disable my lan adapter so I can get even lower dpc latency to -0 lol