Not sure if my GPU is preforming correctly?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Logavian, Jan 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
    Hello everyone! For awhile now I've had a Visiontek 7970, and it always seems like it's under-preforming. I don't exactly know how it should be preforming but on Arma 3 I get about 12 FPS multi-player 19 in SP. I'd average about 40 on BF3 on ultra. Now I know that may be correct but I'm not sure if something I own is bottlenecking it. My PSU also clicks when under a heavy load so I'm wondering if that plays into it. Either way sorry for the wall of text. Here are my specs. I really appreciate any help or advice offered.

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Ram: Hyper X Red 16GB (four each)

Mobo: MSI 970A-G46

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well the CPU might be struggling a bit......but tbh ARMA III would run poorly on a NASA supercomputer. That's how BIS roll.

Even so...12fps is pretty bad. What make/model PSU have you got? Whatever the brand I'm guessing it was cheap lol

3. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V

I just had to look because it was given to me by a friend after I was dumb enough to buy an OCS SSD that malfunctioned and fried everything almost.

4. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Do you have any kind of oc on the card or cpu?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Apevia PSU's are junk, replacing that unit with something decent should improve things.

Have you run any games other than BF3 or ArmA III?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Could not agree with that more I would replace it before it blows up or burns up!

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that psu is crap. you're most likely getting bad performance in bf3 because of that fx 4300. Your rig is terribly unbalanced. 4300 paired with a crap psu, a visiontech gpu and then 16gb ram. what a recipe for a disaster.

8. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    Any recommendations to improve my rig? It was my first build. And I won the 7970 and originally had a 650Ti. I'll admit my knowledge is seriously lacking at what makes a good build so I'd really appreciate any help :)

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Getting rid of that bomb (PSU) would be something I would do. At least that way you will not end up destroying your whole rig when it goes boom. After that I'd buy new CPU: AMD FX-8320 (if you overclock) or AMD FX-8350 (if you don't overclock) and then I'd also get some decent CPU cooler. Another pricier option is to get new mobo and intel CPU.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm not so sure that board will be OK for overclocking or even stock 8 core FX CPU's due to vrms.....

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Don't throw away money before realizing what problem is.
    PSU might be not branded but it doesn't mean it will blow your system.
    People are too sensitive with PSUs these days.

1) You mentioned you have Nvidia card before. There could be problem with drivers. I'd strongly recommend to perform fresh system install and install latest AMD drivers for videocard.

2) High temperature causes CPU and GPU to downclock. Make sure to check your CPU and GPU temperature when they underload.

To check CPU temperature, run prime95 for stress and core Temp to check temperature.
    To check GPU temperature, run furmark for stress and GPU-Z to check temperature and clock speed.

If temperatures rises above 90 degrees(C), there might be problem with cooling, which causing hardware to downclock.

Again, don't hurry with spending moneys.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  12. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    What I always tell people is to confirm all the clock speeds are correct under load. just as an example years back when i upgraded from a 4870 to a 6870 the 6870 by default was running under the 4870 clocks. so all i had to do was go into CCC and set the clocks where they were supposed to be and hit apply then I never had to touch it after that.

Also sometimes there can be problems when switching gpu camps. nvidia to amd and vice versa. So if possible I always just say F it and do a fresh OS install if i decide to switch camps. There are times when driversweeper or whatever its called and whatnot just don't get everything.

One of the upsides of having the OS and your data on separate drives. Getting back up and moving is so much faster and easier.

Also a **** psu will only really be a problem when overclocking. A ****ty power supply should still pump out the wattage it claims and run your system fine. But overclocking can introduce some wrinkles I had a spare computer with a 8800gt in it and some pos cheap no name thing i had in there and everythign ran great til i tried to overclock and no matter what oc i tried on cpu, ram, gpu didn't work instant crash. but everything stock it was fine. tested power draw from the wall at 100% load. furmark/prime95 at the same time and AIDA64 stress test by itself for every component **** was fine stock. when i got a new psu special for it i tried overclocking and i was able to overclock everything by large amounts and it was all 100% stable. Big thing to rmemeber is go single +12v rail. some people get multi rail psus and then dont run their gpus on the correct rails and **** suffers. go single just for the not having to worry about it factor.

sorry for the novel :infinity:

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The thing is that ****ty psu usually can't give the rated max power and if it can, ripple might get out of spec (not necessarily even in full load) and you end up risking your hardware. Performance issues are unlikely, I would not risk it with piece of junk.

It does have bios support but yeah. Vrms might not handle the power too well on it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I would either replace your Motherboard from a 970 chipset you currently own to a 990fx either a crosshair formula-z , Gigabyte 990 fx ud3 is a wise choise as well! But that cpu you are using is your major bottleneck if you ask me, you can either upgrade the cpu and BTW the Fx 8320 schould be going on sale this week at Micro center ( I work there ) for $99 dollars!!! Thats one hell of a deal if you ask me, grab a 8320 and try to get yourself a Bundle deal with a new Motherboard, and try to replace that Psu as soon as you can! You really are risking frying all your stuff with a cheep psu, is it worth it? ....... The 7970 you have on the other hand is a good card, you can even add another one down the line for crossfire! Either overclock the hell out of your cpu or replace it if you want my opinion. Good luck

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Remember-Arma any of the seires is VERY CPU bound! Meaning if you have a weaker cpu like urs and a strong Gpu ( like urs ) you will experience smaller Fps in game. I schould know i also have a Fx 6100 not much better then your cpu. Try running Arma on an Intel i7 3770 k with a Radeon 7970 and see what happens then. But also my 2nd rig is a i5 3570k with a Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard 12-phase power on this bad-boy, yeah it dosent get any better then this as far as motherboards go, I might just pick-up a 3770 k just to see if it makes any diffrence, but they are almost tied in gaming the i5 vs the i7!

16. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    Looking up about the 8320 it says it's a very very small fps increase on games. Is that true?

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That depends on how multi-threaded the game is. Less threads less fps increase, more threads more fps increase. :)

The 8320 overclocks very well btw.

18. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    Is it worth it while on sale for $100 though? I want to get the best I can out of my GPU and if this really will give a pretty decent boost I'm willing to upgrade.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    $100 that's a good deal, but the thing is your motherboard may not be able to handle it.....

You could get a ASUS M5A97- EVO R2 and sell your MSI board and 4300 to offset the cost. The EVO is the same chipset you have now but power-wise more suited to the 8 core FX.

Or the M5A99X which has even better VRM cooling.

What is your CPU load for each core while playing ARMA III?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. Logavian

Logavian Guest

GPU:
    Is there a way to check mid-game? Also would it be better to save up and get Intel? Or is the price difference really not worth the increase? Either way I really appreciate the help from everyone.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I have only been PC gaming for about a year.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014