Gigabyte overtaking ASUS in motherboard market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DigiTimes writes Gigabyte almost overtook ASUS in terms of motherboard shipments in the first quarter of this year. Gigabyte shipped 4.9 million motherboard during the quarter, only slightly behind AS...

Gigabyte overtaking ASUS in motherboard market

2. chojin996

chojin996 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5870 1GB
    Then why Gigabyte support seems dead since the end of 2012 ?
    They released only Beta BIOS for almost all their motherboards, Z77 and X79 ones as well as other chipsets. All motherboard models currently have only a Beta BIOS released in the October/November time frame.
    ASUS kept updating their motherboards BIOS adding Intel patches. The X79 Gigabyte motherboards are all stuck at Intel Management Engine 7.x and drivers 8.x can't be loaded either because the firmware is outdated and firmware version 8.x is needed for the drivers to work, ASUS updated their X79 line Management Engine firmware months ago.
    There are plenty of stability issues on Gigabyte X79 motherboards right now due to the lack of microcode patches and newer Intel Management Engine. Along with who knows how many other bugs.
    Z77 boards from Gigabyte got the Intel Management Engine firmware 8.x update but then not the latest microcode updates because it's over 6 months that those Gigabyte motherboards BIOSes have been in Beta stage.
    What is really going on at Gigabyte ?
    Did they fire all their engineers, software coders/programmers and developers or what?
    Is Gigabyte going bankrupt ?

3. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    ^ This.
    Had my old motherboard being stuck in Beta and still is. (Checked 2 weeks ago)
    I do not want to buy another Gigabyte product again after their horrible service of returning my graphics card 3 times, twice saying its fixed when it wasn't. They then said that my card was out of stock and will give me a better product but I got my card back the same with no noise. It made no sense. :S

4. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    ASUS quality has started to be very hard to beat. When i first upgraded last year i bought a gigabyte z77 ud5h along with a core i5 2500k cpu. What i didn't know is that cpu had problems, it destroyed the motherboard 4 times. After that i upgraded to a sabertooth z77 (the same issue started to apear) so i changed the cpu. What is remarkable is that the sabertooth didn't break..after replacing the 2500k with a 3570k the PC is stable as hell.
    I also can overclock higher with lower voltage.

My point is that the Gigabyte broke 4 times and ASUS mobo was and is rock solid..TUF components man..

5. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    my asus mobo only has a beta bios for adding the fx8150 , been in beta since release of the cpu . that was the last cpu for it to support , was hoping for the fx8350 to get support also lol . so it is not only gigabyte support that has slipped

6. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Yea, Gigabyte BIOS is pretty buggy. Assuming this motherboard and CPU lasts long enough I'll replace mine with a different brand once Skylake is released.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    as far as i know the difference between fx8150 and fx8350 is just the clock speed. The bios should support both cpu..

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    I have asked asus this but they did not reply to my email which was sent months ago and more than once

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm not a fan of Gigabyte's BIOSes either, but their motherboards have never died on me. My GA-P35-DS3R is still alive and kicking in a secondary rig and that thing is older than dinosaurs. This GA-X58A-UD3R is about 3 years old.

On the other hand literally every Asus (and Asrock, previously owned by Asus) mobo I had died, exploding capacitors, which I know doesn't happen anymore. But their price point isn't favourable either. My X58A from Gigabyte was something like $250 at the time, meanwhile the Asus equal was $300. Here anyway, dunno about the US.

Despite their lackluster BIOSes I'm still heavily inclined to buy a Gigabyte motherboard yet again. I'll be buying one as soon as the fixed Haswell chipsets are released. I always consider all options but for the price point Gigabyte are hard to beat and their quality standards have been above average.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Definitely not, the 8350 is not the same processor, piledriver vs bulldozer, but I would think that a motherboard that supports one would support the other. Perhaps not.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll take Asus over Gigabyte any day, had nothing but problems with all 4 Gigabyte products I've used in the past. Asus products have always been rock solid for me.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    this. will never buy anything but ASUS boards.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Myself and all my friends use gigabyte, they used to use Asus but they all had boards randomly die so won't touch Asus ever again.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There's not enough of a difference between Bull and Pile for one to be supported but not the other. At most it would require a minor BIOS update.

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Never had anything but issues with all the Gigabyte boards I've owned or dealt with. Last one I had I had bios issue where it would freeze in the bios, and updating didn't help. Needless to say after many hours of searching for a fix (and reading many threads with people having the same issue) I sent it back. Now Asus on the other hand, every board I've had has been stable, and no issues (except recently, but that was probably due to something I did). Hell, I'd even take an MSI board over Gigabyte, as the only real issues I ever had with them was one borked bios which caused a dead board.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've personally had nothing but good experiences with Gigabyte motherboards. I'll probably go with Gigabyte for my next mobo.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I love my GA :)
    It's low-cost mobo, but easily the most robust I had.

Never had a single hitch, and when I did it came to me immediately - change the CMOS battery - VOILA everything back to normal!

18. TTtimzr

TTtimzr Guest

GPU:
    Evga&Msi GTX 780 sli
    Always had excellent results with the Asus boards that I have used.
    Tried Asrock a few times with no issues but haven't used a gigabyte one yet.

Asus always been easy to overclock and stable, no problems with them.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    This.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It seems 50/50 never had any problems with either or newer asrock boards. I'll just go by the price which fits me best i guess :D asrock, gigabyte or asus.