Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    When win8 first came out I hated it, now I'm giving it a shot but there is far less to like about it than to dislike however Win Blue should be out by the summer it's really a service pack but not in the straight sense because it will have a price tag similar to OS X upgrade trend. Hopefully we will see an improvement jump like 7 was to Vista. Yet I still fail to see the point of touch implementation on all desktops the only way for MS to win people over is to integrate their Metro bundle into programs and features and allow users to disable it to suit their preferences and also ban Ballmer from MS as he has difficulty understanding what the majority users want.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Like How XP was for years? and still is the most used os? most people that go from XP are probably gonna go to 7 simple cause the win 8 interface

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    IPlayNaked makes a very good point. A lot of people are starting to trade their laptops and desktops for tablets and smartphones.

A guy at work asked me the other day if he could buy an iPad because he wants something portable but doesn't want a laptop. Unfortunately, I had to tell him that an iPad won't work because the websites we use are designed for IE exclusively and run a browser detection script to prevent them from loading in Safari, Chrome, FF or Opera....

Most of the people I deal with regularly would rather buy tablets or smartphones....if they didn't need their laptops/desktops for their day to day activities.

Windows has supported touch interfaces since at least Windows98. It's nothing new.... MS is just trying to create a user experience similar to what Apple has done with OSX/iOS. At least MS didn't pull a Google and create something as useless as ChromeOS.....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Windows 8 is fine for tablets, hybrid tablets and touchscreen setups.
    But It really does not belong on standard desktop computer.

Seriously, Microsoft should have just left the old Start Menu in there as an "option", as ther exists no technical reasons whatsoever for them to not have done so.

5. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I had to get W8 because my old laptop is dying, and there are no decent W7 machines left on sale that meet my requirements (new).

It isn't horrible, but I like it much less than W7.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    People have been complaining for years that Microsoft hasn't been "innovative"....but any time they make an attempt at it, people complain that MS changed something. You can't have it both ways. "Innovation" requires change....and this was a change that needed to be made.

The world is moving towards tablets and smartphones and away from desktops....as much as it sucks to say that...it's true. For MS to remain relevant, they have to prove they can develop an OS (or multiple OS's) that can support multiple devices. They also have to provide a fluid, seamless transition between all devices running "Windows"....as well as a familiar experience. That isn't possible if you're using 3 completely different UIs.

7. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Innovative lol, there is nothing innovative with the Modern UI.
    And innovation cannot be forced, it has to be encouraged.

Telling people to "use this or else" is never a good thing, and what needs to be done is to give people reasons why they should use something and how it benefits them.

But again, there exists no technical limitations for there not to be a Start Menu, and as long as there doesn't the Start Menu should be there for those who want it.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They already did that. They have a math behind all the changes up on their Building 8 blog and every time someone posts it the response usually is "I DONT CARE TI SUCKS" oh, ok.

There are a hundred different Start Menu apps for Windows 8, if you don't like the start use one of them. There is no reason that Microsoft should have to carry it's legacy features forward, that's what leads to bloat.

9. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Ooooh they did math, cool! Because everything in the world can clearly be calculated with a mathematical equation. :nerd:

Or you know, I could just use a superior OS instead like Windows 7.

No reason? lol I would have thought the outcry and poor sales telling otherwise would have been reason enough.
    It is after all the number one criticism of the OS, and by far the main reason its not selling better.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

And that is exactly my point. Instead of going and reading the blog, or about Fitt's Law and disproving it or something; you just completely ignore it.

And yeah you could use Windows 7, never said you couldn't nor do I care what OS you use, it's not superior though -- at best it's a sidegrade.

There is very little outcry, it's no where near Vista and it's funny because the only place I see complaints is on enthusiast sites. In real use, I've installed the OS on 9 varying computers of people I know and absolutely none of them had a problem using it. Most of the elderly people like it because it's easier to see what they are clicking on.

As for poor sales, they are roughly the same as Windows 7 sales. You could argue it's worse due to Windows 8 only being $40 at launch but whatever. Most windows sales are coming through OEM channels and the bottom line is no one is buying PCs anymore. I can't think of a single friend in the last 2-3 years that has bought a PC, most of them switched to iPads or similar android tablets. Or they just use their phone for computing. I'm starting to head the same way. I'm sitting here with a very expensive computer and like 4 games are worth playing, all of which can be run on a $600-700 setup.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Deleted, sorry.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    After watching a video that a fellow guru3d member posted in the OS thread in the topic Windows 7 or 8. I am happy to stick with Windows 7. I have had a stable Windows 7 install for 3 years now. If it aint broke dont fix it. When I upgrade my current setup in the Summer of 2014 I will still Use Windows 7.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No offense but I absolutely despise this line of thinking. Can you imagine if cave men sat down and were like "Well this cave is mighty fine! Why build civilizations and the wheel and stuff! If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

14. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Well, in the case of those cavemen, there wasn't much to fix. ;) But i agree, Samsung is just looking for a scapegoat for the declining PC market. Everyone is falling over the Metro UI (isn't that bad if you're used to it), but even if W8 didn't have Metro it would still get the blame.

The logical outcome of this is that PC's as we know it are slowly transforming in more portable devices.

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I agree about with the statement regarding "Windows 8 bashers" and "Enthusiast websites". They go very well together.

Whilst I'm in IT everyone I've spoken with (noobs) generally love it because it's quick, clean and modern whereas a few members in my team bash it. Heck even I bashed it at first but using it again and again I'm starting to love it.

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    And I think this is exactly the situation. Unfortunately, those who are quick to judge, bash, and recommend staying behind are slowing already slow sales due to their ignorance and incompetence.

The comparisons with Vista are invalid. Vista at launch was riddled with driver and stability issues. It wasn't polished, and changed a little too much in how the underlying framework operated. Windows 8 is a simple UI change over Windows 7. It's a matter of taste, not stability, not usability. Those who claim to be tech oriented are unfortunately pushing their knee-jerk tastes onto those less knowledgeable. It's unfortunate, and it's why you see so little innovation these days. Because those of us who are the loudest, or supposed to be the most trustworthy, don't like it, and actively attempt to shut down anything that is change.

17. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I actually read it and concluded it was complete nonsense aimed at trying to justify forcing their flawed UI on people.
    At the end of the day, their math means absolutely squat, its the customers they need to please.

Funny thing is, pretty much everyone I know dislikes Windows 8, and the vast majority of them aren't even enthusiasts, just average joe's with a computer.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They aren't forcing anything on anyone. You have to be completely brain dead to believe this line of bull****. In order for something to be "forced"...there has to be a complete lack of choice. This isn't the case. You have the choice to stick with XP, Vista, 7, etc.

However, blaming Microsoft and Windows8 for the decline in computer sales is a load of **** as well. PC sales have been declining for more than 2 years now. The economy is **** and those able to, are going mobile. Those who's day to day activities don't require a desktop or laptop, are replacing them with tablets and smartphones.....if they're replacing their current setup at all. Over the next few years, we'll see further declines in PC sales and a greater move towards AIO systems or completely mobile. Samsung can't dominate the PC market and they're looking for someone to blame for their pathetic laptops not selling.....of course, they can't blame Google for ChromeOS being a massive failure so MS has become the obvious choice...

Most of the "Average Joes" I know....are going mobile... The few staying with laptops, don't care 1 way or the other what the UI looks like, so long as it provides e-mail access and runs their games.

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I just ditched Windows and went back to Linux, I win :p

(Though I do keep my Windows partition for gaming, but everything else is on Linux now).

deltatux

20. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    If you want to take advantage of the new functionality and kernel upgrades, then yes you are forced to use the new UI if one does not want to bog down ones computer with third party programs.

And I never once said or even implied that Windows 8 was responsible for the decline of PC sales.