Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, fabulous game.

You can tell it was updated with love and admiration for both the original game and the Mickey Mouse character. The way he moves, talks and walks is spot on, the levels are beautifully designed and fun to explore and the whole game is just a joy to play. It's very slick and would be perfect if not for some punishing checkpoints that send you right back to the start of a level if you die. True, the levels aren't huge but it can get a teensy-weensy bit irritating if you're careless. It isn't a hard game as such but getting every gem can be challenging.

The only gripe I have with this game is the 30 fps cap which makes the scrolling look jerky and less smooth than it should be. I don't mind the animation running at that framerate but the screen update would be better at 60 fps or 120 fps in my opinion.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It seems you can force 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSA without an AA flag for this game. Here's the profile I'm using and I'm 99.9% sure that it is working:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Someone on the Steam Discussions Forum for Castle of Illusion has apparently removed the 30 fps from the game but unfortunately the link no longer works so I cannot verify it although there are posts that say it does work.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/227600/discussions/0/864978109881207305/

If I can find an alternative source and get hold of it then I'll post the link here.

4. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    I am getting this, darren you are a very bad man, your posts make me spend money looool

5. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I have downloaded new link (from MEGA) in Steam forum but I can't run due to error - application unabled (0xc142). :confused:

6. prodigalson1

prodigalson1 Guest

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    works great thank you

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Can run due to no error!?!?!??! Wow?! :( But I can't run running Win 7 x64 because maybe Microsoft Security Essentials is fault.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Stupid question but where does that Mega beta link download to because it isn't in either of my Download folder, either the default Windows one or the one I use with Firefox, G:\Downloads.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    To the Firefox folder if that's the browser you are using, it works by "caching" offline copy which you then open and thus access that way. :)

Anyways the files should be here. ->
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\PROFILENAME.default\indexedDB\https+++mega.co.nz\

Somewhere in there.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Jonas. How unintuitive is that? How about allowing the user to select where they want to download the files? :bang:

And, nope, there's no file there at: C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\BFTE6RRS.default\IndexedDB\https+++mega.co.nz

It doesn't work with Firefox 23.0.1 that's why. I used Chrome and it downloaded it, no problem, to my G:\Download folder.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's really strange?

Did the Mega download helper start at all?

Basically it'll send a query to Firefox about allowing offline storage which you must accept which marks the website as trusted.

Then the download begins (The "cloud" bar moves to 100%) and the cached file is retried which you'll see in the browser as a download for COI.exe in this case.

Saving that file should store it either where you choose to if you have that set or it'll be send to your default download location. :)

If it's not in either of those locations it's probably due to the download not starting since Firefox is blocking offline storage since it hasn't been accepted and thus the website hasn't been listed as trusted yet.

Sorry for the cumbersome explanation, I hope this works but maybe someone else could explain it better.
    (I don't know the technical details on how the download "manager" on Mega works but I know the basics on how it's set up in functionality.)

EDIT: Looks like you edited the post while I wrote this reply and got it to work via a different browser. :)

EDIT: I compared the exe to the original, there's only one change so I guess it's a one byte adjustment which simply uncaps the framerate, unsure if it'll have any adverse effects like slow motion at low framerates and super speed at high ones, hopefully there's nothing. :)

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sorry about the last minute edit, Jonas! I never thought to try a different browser until then.

The 60 FPS executable works perfectly and at a flawless 60 fps so it's a mystery why the game was even capped at 30 fps in the first place. I didn't notice any animation glitches or bugs from the game running at twice the framerate. The game now runs much smoother and, while I wouldn't swear to it, Mickey feels more responsive to me, especially when jumping.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That good to hear, maybe they just didn't bother with removing the cap when the game was ported over?
    (Otherwise there's no reason to keep it if there's no adverse effects.)

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The custom exe from that link only unlocks fps to 50 for me. Tried using d3doverider to see if that helped... but nay.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Works at 60 fps for me and never dips, plus I have 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA forced as well.

I read that this game is supposed to be upscaled from 1280x720 to higher resolutions but if that is true then I certainly cannot tell. It's one of the most visually charming games I've seen on the PC and it's nice that it doesn't conform to the boring Mario template of having a forest, ice and lava world! The levels have been fairly inventive and fun to explore. Even the bosses have been entertaining, although a couple of them have been mildy challenging!

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks Darren, might try FRAPS instead of MSIab and see if it gives me a different reading.

Also, im running it at 2556x1440, so maybe a perf hit, doubt it though as this is what i run Splintercell BL at with no drop in fps.