MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreatCabbage

TheGreatCabbage Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB
    Important MSI Afterburner bug on Creator's Update

I'm not sure if anyone has reported this already, but there's a slightly serious bug that I've been encountering since upgrading to the Windows 10 Creator's Update:

MSI Afterburner prevents some programs from launching. They just show a loading cursor and don't open. There are no error messages.

Affected programs: so far, I have only discovered the issue with IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and the installer for Visual Studio 2017.
    (I spent two weeks wondering why VS 2017 wasn't updating, so I uninstalled it and decided to install from scratch but then the installer wouldn't run at all XD)

Temporary fix: close MSI Afterburner. The affected programs will then run without an issue.

This issue is affecting many IL-2 BoS players. My specs:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    i7-6700HQ
    16GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX960M 2GB

Hope this helps.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^^ this is fixed in latest AB 4.4.0 betas.

3. TheGreatCabbage

TheGreatCabbage Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB
    Awesome, thanks :)

4. alainternaute

alainternaute Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    MSI afterburner stop Handbrake running in D3D9.DLL

WIndows 10 , if MSI afterburner is running, handbrake stop with error :

Nom de l’application défaillante HandBrake.exe, version : 1.0.7.0, horodatage : 0x58ea9d2f
    Nom du module défaillant : d3d9.dll, version : 10.0.15063.0, horodatage : 0x631de416
    Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
    Décalage d’erreur : 0x000000000000fd0c
    ID du processus défaillant : 0x4c64
    Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d2d20e24a3dac8
    Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe
    Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
    ID de rapport : 690e4d03-c820-49e8-93c4-2f27ddcefba9
    Nom complet du package défaillant*:
    ID de l’application relative au package défaillant*:

If MSI not running, Handbrake works perfect.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Are you, new 1-post guys, reading the threads before posting?

6. afterburned

afterburned Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Broken GPU
    1. Add hotkey for Monitoring logs (start/stop)
    2. make option for logs to generate filenames with starting time & date.

7. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Well GPU-Z just added support for EVGA ICX Sensors so that at least confirms that other apps have access to whatever API they are using. Perhaps we can see those sensors added to Afterburner.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

EDIT: Actually just saw in another thread that Unwinder is looking into it. So that's good.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  8. Valtrius

Valtrius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    I've got a strange problem with the voltage curves. Somehow the default curve has been overwritten and has a peculiar pattern. It looks like the pattern I used when moving all the higher volted bins lower than the 1.031 bin so that they would be the same level when applying the changes. The only difference is that is seems to be the mirror of the position I placed them before hitting aplly (the tick). I can't seem to repro it though. I hope it's just a hotkey I pressed to change the default curve or something simple.

dropbox. com/s/wo8l52mvcgcj3yi/Screenshot%202017-05-25%2016.51.20.png?dl=0

9. Valtrius

Valtrius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    Well apparently any time I change a bin to a different frequency then all the other bins change slightly to. It makes it impossible to overclock using the voltage curve because some bins increase higher and are not stable at those frequencies.

10. Unwinder

Use search please and learn GPU Boost 3 clock adjustment basics.

11. Valtrius

Valtrius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    What exactly am I supposed to be searching for? When searching for voltage curves I get threads with over 40 pages long. Which thread am I supposed to be looking for? Which page? Which post?

I don't see how Boost 3.0 affects the curve I set in AB, maybe that is something everyone missed, unless you can direct me a tutorial on how Boost 3.0 alters the default curve to over 2300MHz. Did you even look at the image?

12. Unwinder

Debating this way instead of actually searching for previously documented thing will just get you into ignores list pretty soon. And yes, I did look at the image, I do read every posting here, including endless repeating questions from new forum visitors who believe that search in not intended for them.
    It was repeated a LOT of times, and it is documented in the application context help that you CANNOT expect to see static resulting clocks on the curve. The only application controllable things that remain static are clock offsets in each curve point, base curve clocks are adjusted by driver and you cannot expect them to be fixed. That's one of GPU 3.0 by design basics.

13. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    Hi!

Afterburner is the best thing to record video games, but how about making it possible to record desktop or an arbitrary rectangular area of the screen.

Desktop recording doesn't work because as soon as I start something that uses DirectX it's interrupted, and Afterburner starts to record that. For example: the Waveform seekbar for foobar2000, or just a video player in windowed mode.

Recording an area I select would be a really neat feature. It conserves resources and space and it's not as demanding on the system.
    Often the thing I want to record, can be shown on a part of the screen. Or I might just don't want to show the taskbar and other personal stuff.

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    So... what do you think is the feature all about to set detection level to none?
    Apps which should be ignored for monitoring and/or recording have to be set to "detection level: none".

If using the latest beta it is very easy:
    Open RTSS while holding Shift key, click on the "Add" button, select all running Apps you wish to exclude and hit OK

15. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I see. Though that's kind of cumbersome. It'd be nice if one could just select a "record screen" mode or something.

So, I guess there's not much chance for the feature for recording of selected screen area?

16. SickBeast

SickBeast Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 SLI
    I have found a bug in Afterburner 4.3. I'm running GTX 1070 SLI and I am undervolting my cards to reduce power consumption and temperatures while mining. In gaming everything is working perfectly, however when I GPU mine with both cards at the same time, the undervolting only applies to GPU1. Unwinder if you could look into this I would really appreciate it. It would make an enormous difference to my heat, power, and noise levels. I'm running the Claymore miner if that helps. Thanks!

*edit* I just checked and this bug is also present in version 4.4 beta 10.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  17. firion

firion Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    Is there any way to see the date versions were released? Not seeing it on the official page. If not, consider it a suggestion.

18. Unwinder

It is in the release notes supplied with application.

19. firion

firion Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    Ah thanks! Another thing, I'm using 4.40 beta 10, and when I try to set any hotkeys the key flashes on there for a split second and then disappears. Any idea what's going on?

Edit: Fixed it myself, one of my controller buttons was registered as being pressed for some reason, using the sony wireless DS4 adapter and DS4 windows. If anyone else has the same problem disconnect any controllers.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    This suggestion might be too power-user centric to be added, although I hope it's considered.

A special mode for the frame limiter where it always frame limits the game by a small amount, regardless of whether the game has reached the cap or not, would help in many games with reducing latency. For example, if that offset is configured to 1FPS, then if the current frame time was 80FPS, RTSS should behave as if a frame cap of 79FPS was set and insert a delay of 0.208ms. The normal frame cap configured in RTSS would then act as the upper frame rate limit (as it does now), but if the game falls below that cap, the special mode would still throttle the game by a small amount.

With most games, there is a latency reduction happening when the game hits the RTSS frame cap. Even if it's by a small amount. In the test example given here, there is a difference between uncapped 76.4FPS and capped 76.0FPS.

AFAIK, no other frame limiter out there is currently having such an "input lag reduction mode" option. This would be especially valuable for G-Sync and Freesync.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.