MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Final is Released

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nope, hooks do not work that way. Global system hook DLL installed with SetWindowsHookEx is being automatically loaded by OS in address space of any process running in the system as soon as it perform some target activity (create and activate windows in case of WH_CBT hook used by AB and similar OSD hooking tools). You cannot selectively prevent hooks library from being loaded in context of some process neither with EnableHooking switch nor with something else (unless the process itself is purposely protected against loading hooks from outside). And what EnableHooking=0 actually does is disabling actual API hooks injection and API calls interception in context of target process, but hooks library anyway always get loaded and stay in passive state there.
    Also, after uninstalling system hooks (i.e. closing RTSS in our case) system-wide hook libraries cannot be unloaded immediately by design of OS as it is documented by Microsoft. But the injected library does get eventually freed by OS later.
    And by the way, creating profiles for ApplicationFrameHost with EnableHooking=0 makes no sense because it is a system application and it is already set to 0 for all processes residing in your Windows folder (template for such processes is stored in .\ProfileTemplates\System). So quite opposite, if you wanted ApplicationFrameHost to be really hooked, you'd need to create a profile for it with EnableHooking set to 1 (and BTW that will be really hooked that way in 6.7.0, because it is required to work with UWP).

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh I see so trying to set the hook status was useless for what I tried to use it for and just waiting a while would have made the OS unload that data on it's own eventually.
    (Something to try out next time I update this software then.)

Well I learned something new. :)

And now I can delete those profiles, looking forward to having UWP support in the upcoming 6.7.0 version of Rivatuner.
    (Win10 store has it's flaws but it's unlikely the first-party titles will ever be available elsewhere.)

3. Unwinder

Just reproduced Vulkan OSD related crash in The Talos Principle, having place on video settings change when Vulkan OSD is active in this game. The fix will be available in the next version.

4. Unwinder

I'm preparing the first beta of 6.7.0 to uploading, it will be available for download in a couple hours. So you'll be able to start testing initial implementation of OSD for UWP applications.

Stay tuned!

5. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    where can i grab the MSI:AB 4.4.0 beta 6 onward? thanks.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  7. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
  8. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @EdKiefer & @FDisk Thanks & greatly appreciated.

Where did you guys grab from & any change-log?

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Install and check readme after it.
    but you could check Unwinder post in this thread.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412822

10. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i'm using RTSS Beta 20 and all ubisoft games are either not starting or not showing RTSS OSD when a game launches

screw you UBISOFT

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah 7.0.0 is still not whitelisted by EAC if you mean Watch_Dogs 2, For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands and they've all been updated fairly recently so it's going to take some time until the next patch hits although the Easy Anti Cheat devs might just decide to wait until Afterburner 4.4.0 and Rivatuner 7.0.0 comes out of beta before they opt to white list it, I don't really know but I guess they don't generally whitelist software still in active beta development.

I could be wrong though but for now you need to remain on Rivatuner 6.6.0 if you want to use it with these games.

EDIT: The games should start however, EAC should just stop the software hooking into the game but launching said game should go without a hitch.

And if it's some other non-EAC game then that's a different issue altogether, UPlay did recently update to 30.x and yesterday to 31.x (Just three small bug fixes.) but I don't think they've changed their own overlay much but I suppose you could try to disable that and see if compatibility improves.
    (Only thing that comes to mind with UPlay at least unless it's some other software conflict.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    well i tried Assassin's creed games (unity,syndicate) and both didn't allow RTSS osd

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    removed EAC that is bundled with WD2 and now every ubisoft game won't block RTSS (i'm using beta 20 ) with the exception of WD2 that won't start unless i install EAC

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah it takes 1 to 4 weeks for EAC to update depending on the game.

However I just send them another email to ask what's going on. More UBI games should have propagated to the new RTSS for support already.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For Honor and Wildlands just updated this morning but I haven't checked yet to see if Afterburner is getting access to them.

Watch_Dogs 2 can have EAC disabled and still work albeit without MP features but Wildlands will crash and For Honor will disconnect if EAC has been toggled off so for those two it's either waiting until 4.4.0 / 7.0.0 is whitelisted or changing back down to the 4.3.0 and 6.6.0 non-beta versions of Afterburner and Rivatuner.

EDIT: Well what do you know, Watch_Dogs 2 was updated too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Small update:

Most UBI titles should get compatible this week. The guys from easyanticheat reported they've now whitelisted the MSI certificate Alex recently started using for RTSS. They've released the whitelisting update today for Watch Dogs 2. E.g. the update will go live for Ghost Recon: Wildlands and For Honor during this week.