MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Beta 4 with alternate OSD rendering mode for Halo Wars 2 is available. I've done initial porting of OSD renderer to pure D3D12 instead of D3D11on12. This alternate mode is enabled at profile level for HW2 only, it is incomplete yet, only Vector3D rendering mode is implemented and it doesn't support explicit mGPU in D3D12 yet. But at least it will allow us to see if D3D11on12 compatibility was the issue with HW2.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup670Beta4.rar

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Unwinder

BTW in one of the recent betas I also added text formatting tags support to OSD, which means that any application using RTSS to render OSD (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo or MSI AB itself) can customize OSD appearance a bit more. Here is an example of format tags usage from RTSS SDK sample:

[​IMG]

3. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    I will test it (but a bit later today) :)

Perhaps it would be interessting to see, on wich Windows 10 Version we are. Perhaps MS made here some changes on the UWP or DX12 Level?

I'm on the Insider Fast Ring so Build 15042

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So the good news is that the crash I've been having is fixed with this beta =) Tried multiple times with different combinations of OSD enabled and disabled and it doesn't happen anymore.

The bad news is that this beta is doing something funky to the game's window resizing with Alt-Enter (fullscreen->windowed and vice versa). Sometimes mouse clicks do not register in windowed mode and sometimes when you go from fullscreen to windowed you get this:

[​IMG]

This also affects game's resolution scale - when you try to scale it up in the video options to, say, 150%, you get this: http://i.picpar.com/2loc.jpg

It also looks like the Beta4 OSD is preventing the game to go fullscreen on startup and you have to do it manually each time.

But the crash is fixed =)

5. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    I can confirm the results from dr_rus, the only differnce is that for me the Game start normal in Fullscreen.

No more crashes :)

6. Unwinder

Glad that the crash is finally gone for you. Facepalm, Microsoft D3D11on12 really conflicted with Microsoft D3D12 API in own Microsoft game engine. LOL.
    On window resizing related issues: it is result of currently early and incomplete implementation of new D3D12 OSD renderer. The renderer was not releasing references to render target views on window resize yet, causing old frame buffer dimensions to be used. Try beta 5, hope I fixed it now:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup670Beta5.rar

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yep, this version fixed all the issues with HW2. Great job =)

8. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Yes, this version fixed all the Problems for me. Special Thanks, great Job :)

9. Unwinder

Thanks for good news and testing everyone. Hehe, the last 4 days were tough. :)

10. Unwinder

New beta is available. There are so many changes that I decided to rename 6.7.0 branch to 7.0.0. Full changes list includes:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta1.rar

• Added initial Microsoft UWP applications support. Now RivaTuner Statistics Server provides full On-Screen Display, framerate/frametime statistics collection and framerate limiting support for sandboxed Windows 10 store applications. Screencapture and videocapture are currently not supported in UWP environment
    • New default Metro interface styled skin designed by 00pontiac
    • Improved default On-Screen Display rendering configuration provides better default On-Screen Display appearance on modern mainstream PC display resolution. Now raster 3D rendering mode with Unispace font and shadow rendering are enabled and zooming ratio is set to 3 by default
    • Framerate is now displayed as integer value, however you may return back to floating point framerate representation with configuration file switch if necessary
    • Fixed bug in Vulkan On-Screen Display cleanup code causing The Talos Principle to crash to desktop on changing video settings
    • Fixed bug is skin engine causing part of the profiles window to be rendered in solid black color when using layered skin composition mode with alpha channel
    • On-Screen Display shadow in now rendered in proper RGB colors instead of BGR in On-Screen Display preview window
    • New On-Screen Display shadow rendering for raster 3D mode provides improved shadow rendering quality for some combinations of fonts and low On-Screen Display zooming ratios. The previous mode can be also enabled via profile if necessary
    • Now delete profile button is unlocked when “Hide pre-created profiles” option is enabled and template based profile is selected
    • Updated SDK:
    o Improved shared memory layout. Now each running 3D application entry contains x64/UWP application architecture usage flags in addition to previously available 3D API usage flags
    o Added text formatting tags support for On-Screen Display text. Now the client applications using RivaTuner Statistics Server to render a text in On-Screen Display (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo or MSI Afterburner itself) can apply custom text colors, alignment, size and position to some parts of displayed text. Format tags are fully supported for raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode only, some tags are ignored for vector On-Screen display rendering modes
    o Improved On-Screen Display text macro translator. To provide more flexibility and customization %FRAMERATE% macro is now deprecated and replaced with new tags allowing printing application specific framerate, frametime and 3D API independently
    o Updated RTSSSharedMemorySample sample code. Now the sample demonstrates text format tags usage and shows you how to apply custom On-Screen Display color, subscript style and custom alignment to a text rendered in On-Screen Display from a client application. The sample also demonstrates framerate display via both %FRAMERATE% macro and new tags
    • Improved On-Screen Display preview window:
    o Now you may double click preview window area to toggle between standard and 2x zoomed preview window size modes. 2x zoomed mode may be useful if you prefer to adjust On-Screen Display position visually via dragging it inside the preview
    o Now you may right click preview window area and select “Capture screenshot” command from the context menu to automatically capture screenshot from currently running 3D application and use it as On-Screen Display preview background. This feature can be useful if you prefer to adjust On-Screen Display position visually via dragging it inside the preview. Original On-Screen Display preview window background can be restored with “Clear” command from the context menu
    • Improved dynamic Direct3D12 presentation command queue detection algorithm
    • Added On-Screen Display support for Direct3D11 applications using alternate frames presentation technique (e.g. Halo Wars Definitive Edition)
    • Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting, allowing enabling alternate VTable based hooking for Direct3D1x applications concurrently presenting frames from multiple threads (e. g. Forza Horizon 3 or Halo Wars 2)
    • Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting, allowing enabling pure Direct3D12 On-Screen Display renderer for some Direct3D12 applications conflicting with D3D11on12 interop layer (e.g. Halo Wars 2)
    • Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting for OpenGL applications rendering from forward compatible 3.x+ context with disabled deprecated immediate OpenGL mode functionality. The switch allows the server to fall back to rendering path using a separate legacy OpenGL context
    • Added On-Screen Display profile for Citra Nintendo 3DS emulator
    • Added On-Screen Display profile for CEMU Wii U emulator
    • Revamped internal benchmarking engine
    • Updated profiles list

Note: I'm not sure if we'll keep the skin introduced in this beta as the final one. I think it is a good idea to make GUI Metro-styled considering that many changes in this version are related to supporting Windows 10 Store Apps (UWP). However, the skin is created by out forum member and I've not received his approval on using it in official release yet. So probably there will be something different in the same Metro style.

11. Probotector

Probotector Member

GPU:
    Crossfire 290 @ 1100/1400
    Nice work

Wow, amazing job, keep it up man.

12. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I hope a Metro-style GUI doesn't mean the current one will go away. There are still plenty of people who are using Windows 7, and the flat design (generally speaking) is really horrible.

13. Unwinder

Old one will most likely go away. But nothing prevents you from keeping old skin from the previous versions and using it.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I prefer the old one too. The new flat one looks too much as a straight redraw over the old one, and that's generally not a good idea for a flat designed version of anything.

15. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I think there is a glitch in the GUI.

I open RTSS window and see the list of my app profiles http://image.prntscr.com/image/e2b343ee8bf24efa894aee60b7ca1489.png

When I click below the last entry in the list (in the dark part), the last entry visually disappears.
    http://image.prntscr.com/image/11f83b06a73c438c864c9af4d9885582.png

It's not gone, it is just ...err... transparent?
    If I click on the spot (or even move the selection with keyboard to) where the entry has been, it reappears:
    http://image.prntscr.com/image/18efeb0304ed44b1b81a6e81f402d14f.png

Interesting fact I stumbled upon right now: When last entry is not visible, it will be visible if the window loses focus and will turn invisible again if windows gets focus.

some more false 3D applications for the default ignore list:
    AllShareAgent.exe
    BlueStacks.exe
    DesktopOK.exe
    DesktopOK_64.exe
    Ditto.exe
    HD-Agent.exe
    Lightshot.exe
    obs64.exe
    soffice.bin

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeh, I see same thing, if you click right below last entry you can't see it listed, but if you click on last entry its visible, also as you noted non focus of RTSS and it shows.

17. Unwinder

Reproduced, thanks for reporting. Item text in the profiles list is being rendered with black text color instead of color defined inside the skin in some cases, so the problem was invisible with old skin having black text mode but became visible now with black background and white text. I'll fix it in the next beta.

All
    I'd like to see new functionality reflected in the release notes stress-tested as well.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  18. Unwinder

19. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Are these spaces intended or is it because I don't have Unispace font installed?
    [​IMG]

20. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    For Metro style, this doesn't look half bad. I still wouldn't use it (even on Win10 if it's possible), but it's pretty decent.

Will the next RTSS stable version justify re-releasing the whole Afterburner package with it included btw?