Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 review with OC'd 6990 - First Results UP!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by polyzp, Jan 6, 2012.

1. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    So your telling me out of the box the qx9775 will overclock to 4 ghz absolutely every single time with a stock cooler? This is the case for all FX processors which stick turbo to high clocks. In the end, the clocks are so off that its not comparable clock per clock, but on the basis of max oc vs max oc.

2. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    PCMark 7 comparison between my FX 8150 @ 4.8 Ghz and a QX9775 @ 4.0 Ghz

QX9775 @ 4.0 Ghz

[​IMG]

AMD FX 8150 @ 4.8 Ghz

[​IMG]

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^^^:wanker: your not paying attention. I said qx9650 and q9650. why are we talking stock coolers now, you are not making any sense. any true overclocker has h20 or high end air to keep temps down. you mean to tell me you can run p95 for 8 hours on the 8150 stock cooler?

4. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    well then with the same argument, any true overclocker will oc their chips to their maximum potential while maintaining stability. So naturally, if your going to compare CPUs, it must be at the maximum OC. The PCmark7 score for an OCd QX is pretty pathetic in my opinion, easily doubled by newer gen chips.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    yeah your bd at 4.8 vs an old school quad at 4ghz.
    people on here like me and several others post in this thread because we know what BD is truthfully and do not want any newbie pc builders looking at these "tests" you have posted in 15 threads mind you, and buying into your hoopla and actually buying that cpu.

6. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Your the one that originally brought up this comparison, not me. I have yet to see anyone prove that my tests are some how flawed in any way, maybe FX isnt so bad after all and you still wont accept it haha.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I never said post up a 4.8ghz bd vs a n old quad at 4ghz, I wanted a comparison clock for clock at 4ghz. and you cannot turn off turbo on bd?

8. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    Again, i cant do anything now without a rig, but as soon as i do i will test at 4.0 ghz across some tests we can agree on, if you also agree to do the same with your qx9650, so we can have some first hand comparisons. Wouldnt you agree this would be generally a good thing for the community?

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    dude I do not have a qx9775 or whatever its called. never claimed too. ninja edit, paying attention now. I already told you why I am not benching for your. look forward to seeing if that 8150 at 4ghz can keep up with a 5 socket old intel cpu at 4ghz though:cheers:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    :3eyes:

I dont see why you wont benchmark this to compare with me.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Because it's pointless. A more than four year old CPU practically tying with bulldozer is sad as hell.

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Cuz he will be proven wrong.

Look BD isn't anything like the i7 2600K for example.

But it has been proven to exchange blows with the i5 2500K. I didn't say it was faster all around, I said "EXCHANGE BLOWS" just to make that clear before people start "EXCHANGING BLOWS" with me over me saying "EXCHANGING BLOWS" making it seem as if I meant it was faster in everything. Man....that got me tongue tied.

Guys really stop arguing with polyzp, if you can't take the time to compare benches with the hardware you claim you have, then you have no right to talk.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
  15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    OP already stated the qx9650 clocked the same would have better single threaded performance than a similarily clocked 8150, and trade blows with it in other things like the benches linked earlier. if you want to see some qx9650 benches use the search button here in the benchmarking section and search tommyk2005 at hwbot, think I have some old benches there. I already stated why I will not bench already, read the thread if you want. another reason is the chip is quite old and I have 0 interest benchmarking it

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

16. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    I never said at the same clock an fx 8150 beats a qx9650 at the same clock because that is obviously wrong. Don't put words in my mouth. I said a max oc fx processor will generally have higher single core performance than a max oc qx9650 but not by much, the scaling is nearly double however, more like 90 percent higher.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, it takes almost a 1ghz difference for Bulldozer to compete?

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I, for one, would LOVE to see some side-by-side benchmarks from our members and compare them to the same exact benchmarks from polyzp.

What's the harm? Decide on 5 benchmarks, decide on any specific settings, decide on a single clock speed and run the tests.
    Bring the 2500k, 2600k and any other Intel offering to the "battle" and at least see what our brethren come up with - THAT'S unbiased and doesn't require much effort at all.

I've seen some of what polyzp has mentioned and shown in my business, but I also agree that when comparing, you HAVE to compare oranges to oranges (i.e. identical benchmarks on systems with identical clock speeds) - only this way can one clearly see what's going on...

So what's the harm in getting a few local brothers to offer up their own personal benchmarks to compare to polyzp's on some new, pre-determined benchmarks? Honestly, I'm completely SICK of "professional media" benchmarks from most sites anyway and would love to see some raw data from real people.

Psychlone

19. polyzp

polyzp Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990
    I would like this as well, and encourage anyone to benchmark their rigs to compare with mine! This would be deeply appreciated.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I will @4Ghz. Name the apps.