CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Set also "Include if slot avaible" in those 2 places (On left image)
    Then restart

PS. I will update main post :)

2. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    So are there timing settings that can be adjusted if one has issues of the monitor blacking out?

3. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    so adjusting when free sync works seems to be when i black out.. If I enable it to be in a range that my FPS sits, my screen goes black. Outside of that range, I get screen tearing, but no blackouts.. So it looks like I can't do anything to get it to work..

4. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Am confused :banana:

How can Freesync work if the monitor in use doesn't have the hardware inside the DisplayPort or HDMI for talking to the GPU and changing Refresh rates on the fly?

With Freesync the GPU tells the display when and what refresh rate it should be at
    GPU = 40fps -------- Display 40hz No waiting, No lag

Without the hardware in the display how is it possible the display know when and what refresh rate to use??

Are you sure you guys aren't noticing something else making smooth frame rates? AMD recently added LFC Low Framerate Compensation
    https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

Maybe just maybe when the AMD driver detects Freesync it forces this ON? Enabled this does remove screen tear and smoother framerate!!

5. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    I've tried what I've seen here, but Radeon Settings still shows FreeSync as Not Supported.

A lot of what I've read here is confusing and only explained in broken pieces. Can someone do a detailed summary?

In my case, here's what I'm working with:
    BenQ XL2430T, 144hz monitor.
    Connected with either DisplayPort or Dual-Link DVI.

Can it be done? Or that's not compatible with the steps required to enable FreeSync through CRU?

6. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Ahhhh :bang: thanks mate. Will try when i get home.

7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    A new finding this morning...been up and could not sleep. What I found it is easy to get "a mismatch in reported refresh rate" apparently this mis match will also cause blanking or black screening in 3d apps.

What I mean for example if you use Crimson to raise your refresh rate, it is still reported to freesync as the stock rate to crimson.

You can see this in the crimson control panel by hovering over the freesync toggle switch (if you have enabled freesync through this method) it reports the freesync range.

What I had been doing half the time was just using crimson to set the custom refresh rate. Once I used CRU to set the refresh rate, I could further extend my freesync range and in the crimson control the freesync range now reported correctly.

My new freesync range is now 30-76.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  8. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Couldn't agree more. A detailed guide would be awesome.

We do appreciate what you guys are doing with this :)

9. Snow

Snow Guest

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for your awesome work, pretty amazing what you've managed to do, but I'm having some trouble getting it working on my monitor here.

I have one of those old 2560x1440 screens that only has a DVI connector (it's an unknown Chinese one as I'm living in China) and since I've read posts here of people getting it to work with DVI I figured I might as well give it a try too.

I previously have already used CRU to OC my monitor to 75 Hz (can't go higher), but it seems when I'm adding the HDMI block (standard options with DVI dual link support enabled and 600 Mhz) this refresh rate is suddenly not possible anymore.

Even the 'normal' refresh rate of 60 Hz doesn't work with the HDMI block added and the highest I can go without having my screen messed up is 40 Hz. If I do go for 40 Hz I can enable Freesync (after disconnecting/reconnecting the DVI cable), but as my Freesync range is only 30-40 Hz there's not much of a point in it. Freesync does seem to work in the AMD Demo as there's no tearing or anything.

I was wondering, however, if anyone knows why my refresh rate can't go any higher than 40 Hz when adding the HDMI block. Is there any solution to this problem or does this mean either my DVI connection or monitor is too crappy and i'm out of luck?

10. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Basically I what I did to get it working is select your resolution. change it's refresh rate to 75 hz.. (top window).. save that.. hit restart64.exe, see if your desktop is now running at 75hz.. if it is.. good .. if not.. then go to the bottom window, add HDMI, set the clock rate in that to 660 mhz.. save that. restart64.exe.. you should now see 75hz available. if so. go back into that bottom window. add freesync.. now put a range. seems most people are working 34-75 hz.. you'll have to experiment.. after you do this. restart64 again. amd crimson should show freesync under display.. turn it on. it should reflect your range..

it seems what isn't explained is for any of this to work, you need that HDMI option with 660 mhz added in the bottom window. Sorry for the poor explanation of the user interface. I've only used it for 1 day and i'm at work now.

11. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Can you please explain "how you are using crimson to set the stock refresh rate"?
    Where in Crimson is there an option like this?
    Can you show us what you're doing?

Sorry for bad questions, I'm a bit new to this.

I'm NOT using the old CCC. I'm using Crimson.
    There is no place to set refresh rates in Crimson from what I can tell?
    You have to right click the desktop and choose "screen resolution" then advanced, which isn't crimson. it's just windows display properties.

12. razorbackdb

razorbackdb Member

GPU:
    AMD R7 260x 2GB
    Guess no luck for me, any fluctuation in fps ends with a blackscreen in windmill, and setting a range of less than 50-60hz doesn't show the freesync toggle for me.

13. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Yeah doesn't seem to be a solution if your screen goes black.. At least yet..

BUT , maybe you can get 75hz (25% increase in fps if your card can push that)..

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Been playing with my setup, and I did manage to get the one led panel (Dell S2409W) that uses HDMI to go to 1080p@75Hz, which is a nice bonus. (DVI-D one cannot handle 75Hz) I guess I should look into a DP-HDMI adaptor.

As for FreeSync, my monitor likes to blank out when the rate changes, so unless someone has some advice, I'm kinda stuck. During gaming, I lose the screen for a second or more, and can get quite aggravating.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I've updated Main Page with more detailed Screens.
    It should be more 'readable' now :)

And there is no perfect solution for everyone :nerd: (YET)
    Please experiment with CRU Options, and remember that in CRU Directory is an magical Reset-All switch :)

16. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    Were you able to run Freesync with your CRT over VGA? Or did you have to use a displayport or HDMI converter?

17. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Are you still using a 7970? FreeSync requires an R9 285/290/290X or newer.

You'll need an HDMI-VGA adapter because this trick only works with HDMI.

18. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    No, I have crossfire 380x's at the moment, so I should be good to go. Was hoping to use VGA for the higher pixel clock, but I do have a HD Fury Nano which can do near 280mhz over HDMI. I'll give that a shot sometime and let you guys know how it goes.

Still wondering what adapter Onna used, or if he found a trick to enable Freesync over VGA.

19. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Why would the monitor need to talk to the GPU? The GPU controls the refresh rates. The monitor can report what refresh rates it supports in the EDID, and CRU creates EDID overrides.

How does a normal monitor know when to refresh? It's part of the video signal. FreeSync works by increasing the vertical blanking on the fly to delay the next refresh until a frame is ready. This is possible on all interfaces: VGA, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort. The only question is whether the monitor can handle variable vertical blanking and longer blanking intervals.

The problem is most LCD monitors have scalers. Special hardware like scalers actually get in the way of this. That's why many people are seeing their monitors black out when they try this. LCD monitors with scalers are less likely to work without firmware changes because the scalers are usually designed to handle a limited range of refresh rates and timing parameters. That's why the scaler chips need to be updated to support FreeSync.

LCD monitors without scalers are more likely to work. CRT monitors should also work because they are basically controlled directly by the video signal, but I haven't tested this myself because I need to get an HDMI-VGA adapter first.

20. M3xline

M3xline Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 390x
    So i will not be able to do this trick via 3d club 4k dp port to hdmi adapter ?

because i've tried many options and still not getting freesync in crimson :bang: