Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
  2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=3238&cat=272&page=1
    this should fit the bill.its a little more than the other loop your looking at but it comes with the 120mm rad and the radbox.you may even be able to find it cheaper elsewhere(and instock lol).
    edit:just ordered a ek 8800gtx block from this place aqua-pcs.co.uk ill let ya know how it goes with them Preacher.keep your fingers crossed for me lol.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  3. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    That's great, i'm hearing it's a fantastic block. It certainly looks the part, and it'll be good to finally get some temperature readings that I can trust. Make sure you post a bit on it. :thumbup:

Good luck with it mate, i'm sure it'll go well. :)

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    will do.im just hoping it will get here in a timely fashion lol.
    btw they do international shipping as well.its a bit of a pain to get it set up tho.they send you a email with a link to the product you want.with the worldwideshipping included.so far the cs has been pretty good.ive never ordered anything from overseas so im a little worried about it getting here in one piece.

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Thread stuck--decided to just go ahead and retire the old thread in favor of this one, as this is much more current. I thought I might as well migrate over some of the links from the previous thread that are not too dated:

Overclockers.com has a good article on additives, another on heatercores for those looking for the less common radiator, and here's one on common watercooling myths. THG has a good WC guide for the uninitiated and hardocp demonstrates the use of a TEC waterblock (though unfortunately in fahrenheit, the 3.69 GHz load results were 5/8/58/58/60 degrees Celsius--the TEC resulting in a 50 degree drop). Lastly, systemcooling (sadly no longer active) has a nice article on the MP-05 line of waterblocks. I find this one interesting because it comes with one of three different accelerator plates, which demonstrated both the higher higher performance that comes from higher pressure-drop designs, particularly those that use microjets like the Storm and MP-05 SP. Finally, this Xbit Labs article shows how the cheaper retail kits stack up to something more decent like the promodz or waterchill kit--rather badly--and these two kits still use parts that are a significant step down from the best available. If $200-$300 for watercooling is too rich for your blood, your best bet is probably to stick with high-end air.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    just and idea preacher , putting 3 kits in to catogories of high end , mid-range and low end kits and choose the best for each section based on a performance price ratio??

maybe pre-built kits and then your chioces??

7. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    looks good the only problem is that i might struggle to get it in my case as the 80mm version pump fitted into a 5.25" bay

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    hmm thats a tough price to beat too.pricing it out piece by piece is tough to do for that.

9. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i know it looks like a decent kit , im very tempted to try water as i never have before , but i wanted a cost effective way of doing it that fits in my case easily , i might be able to do it still , il have to do some research i think

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yeah thats a wise choice.research is always the best route to take imho.what kind of case do you have?

11. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ive got the antec nine hundred , its the best case ive ever had , the cooling performance is outstanding , the only gripe is i wish it had a little more room , i could mount the rad and fan on the back , put the pump and res might be a problem

this is my case

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-065-AN

also could i put the block under arctic silver 5 to improve my temps slightly or do i ahve to use the grease they provide??

EDIT: The res and pump both fit into a 5.25" bay , easy to install then , im very tempted ill see how my money turns out a dn might purchase , need to find somewhere thats cheap and has it in stock

12. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    tbh i believe they provide arctic silver ceramique.which is just as good as as5 but you can use whichever you prefer.you may be able to mount the pump and res near the front by the drive cages.ive seen alot of people with that set up.thats a nice case btw!love those 120s in front!

13. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    o.k , check my post above , need to sell my ram and that and then will see how the cash turns out , need a new mouse and keyboard first lol

14. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    sounds like a plan!

15. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Sounds like a plan. I'll reorganise the pre selected kit section, and maybe do a bit more research about possible high performing/budget kits. Hopefully i can reorganise it a bit over the course of the evening, then decide what to improve next take next. Everyone Please feel free to suggest anything you think will improve it at all.

It seems that most of the suggestions i've been receiving are based around adding more stuff to the guide rather than deleting stuff i've written which i'm glad about.

Btw there's been a lot of action in the thread since i've last visited. What with it being stuck (thanks G L) and the numerous posts.

16. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Sorry guys but reorganisation of the preselected kits section will have to wait until tomorrow morning due to my having excessive amounts of things to do tonight.

I'm basically going to divide it up into three groups, kits costing up to £110, then kits from £110-160, then kits from £160+. I only have a few great kits to recommend in any catagory, so if anyone has any knowledge of any very, very good kits in any of the three pricing groups please either pm me with details, or simply post them in here. If any ideas can be posted by tomorrow evening that would be great.

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    well both the Swiftech H20 80 & 120 fit into 2 of those catogories and there supposed to be really good , ive been looking at both alot recently

18. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    check out some of the innovatek,dangerden and asetek kits.im not sure about pricing but they compare quite well to most kits.

19. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    ok I've just finished reorganising the pre selected kits section. As i mentioned the lists missing a few good manufacturers atm, but i'll correct that after i get a bit more time.

Feel free to say if i've made the guide better or worse (I still have the old version saved in word i think) and also any other opinions ect...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Great guide preacher. I like what you said about all in one kits. Alot of ppl around here have misconceptions that a lame Thermaltake solution will give them amazing results. U only get decent results if u pay for it with water, otherwise u may aswell stick with air and save some cash - glad u made that point.

Agree with pretty much all your recommendations tbh! BTW, the first link to XS (presume it was meant to be their thread on modded pump tops?) only links to the front page, not to the actual thread.