Setting Up PC Hardware- A full guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rifle_Grunt, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Randonx

Randonx Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8600GT 512MB
    Here you go Grunt

Alright, so I pretty much followed this guide to the T, but I'm having problems. Got everything connected up, but when I boot up, it only goes as far as getting past the BIOS, then when the blinking cursor shows, it lasts about 5 seconds then I get a BSoD for less than a split second, can't even read anything on it, and then it restarts. I've tried several times now. Anybody have any ideas? Already took Ram out and put it back in, same with the Videocard.

2. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    BSOD is a windows problem. To my knowledge, at least in my experience, I have never seen a BSOD outside of Windows. Technically once you see the blinking cursor it should be in the process of launching whatever OS you have in place. In the case that you don't have one it should return some kind of text error or return a command prompt.

So does this hard drive have Windows on it? If not try unplugging the drive and then see if the BSOD appears. If it was a video card problem you either wouldn't be able to see anything at all or your monitor would go into standby mode when it crashed/couldn't display whatever was on screen.

While I don't think it is a memory error you could always test your memory with MemTest 86+. Just download the image from this website, burn it to a cd, set your CD-ROM as the first boot device in your BIOS, and let it do its job. It will start up as soon as it gets to the "blinking cursor" you mentioned above. Just let it run overnight while you sleep. If it doesn't list any errors then your memory is working 100% error free.

If it were a CPU issue the motherboard probably wouldn't even startup. If you can't even get into an OS you really can't test the CPU though. Again in my experience when there was a CPU problem the thing just wouldn't start up. If it got me into Windows I could then produce errors using a program like Orthos or Prime 95. These programs are intended to stress test the hell out of a processor. From what you've described I doubt it is the CPU causing the error.

The motherboard shouldn't be capable of causing an error like you described. At least I wouldn't even consider your mobo until you've exhausted testing your other hardware first. Definitely an OS or hard drive problem in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  3. Randonx

Randonx Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8600GT 512MB
    Thanks, I got it figured out thanks to the help of a lot of Gurus.

Like the dumbass I am, I was trying to use a Hard drive from my old computer with the old chipset drivers on it. Didn't have a fresh install of windows. So I got a new hard-drive and got it taken care of.

Sorry for marring this topic with a useless post (now 2), feel free to delete them if you have the ability.

4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Glad to hear you got it worked out :thumbup:

5. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    They are not useless and good to hear you are enjoying my guide + thanks for the assistance there Mulsiphix

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Anytime mate. I like your new avatar :thumbup:

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Excellent guide. :thumbup:

8. RooR

RooR New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS 256MB
    I'm upgrading my ancient system and im keeping my case, dvddrives, and harddrives. I do know how to build a computer from the ground up but Ive never upgraded a completely different motherboard before so I'm a bit weary. I'm switching from a very old AMD board to a newer Intel board.

Upgrading to e8400, p5q pro, 4850, ocz reaper hpc, to be exact, from my current.

A real quick google run got me alot of 'reinstall windows or ur outta luck' and my current system was a prebuilt that didnt come with an full XP Pro disk. The guide didnt say anything about it.

Is it really as simple as:
    1. remove drivers
    2. install new parts
    3. BIOS setup
    4. install new drivers

or am i partially screwed? (ie will have to go and buy Vista/find real unused XP Pro)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Does your case have Windows XP Professional serial sticker? If it has, then just download Windows from somewhere and use serial you got in that sticker. If not, well, then you can get Windows somewhere or buy it from somewhere. I do recommed using Vista anyways (buy it).

You need to reinstall Windows when you change your mobo. So:
    1. Back up important files.
    2. Install Mobo + other parts
    3. Install Windows
    4. Install Drivers.

You most likely dont need to go to BIOS. Only if your overclocking, or want to change boot order, or something does not work.

10. RooR

RooR New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS 256MB
    When you say install windows do you mean that 'repair' by reinstalling over the old directories or complete reformat and install?

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I would format C: first. If you repair, it leaves some stuff (programs, games, etc) to C: which usualy do not work, since there are no registry files for those and you would basicly need to install everything anyways.

It's just easier to do format first.

12. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Ok a quick question here, when moving the whole rig from one generic case to the good one(TT/Antec and so on), do I need to disassemble CPU coolers\CPU itself?

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No.

But if it's old build, it would be good idea to apply new thermal paste to cpu.

14. Aseton

Aseton Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    So the question is I'm buying new parts to my pc (ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/
    1GD5 and Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 processor) so are they compatible with my current parts: P5K motherboard and Nexus 500W powersupply? Just reply if you need any more information. Thx

15. Awesome-Tech

Awesome-Tech Member

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8200m g
    great guide

16. EaglePC

EaglePC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 5700
    yea great guide but very outdated

17. Crimson Engage

Crimson Engage Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5670
    Great thread however a lot of the images from step 7 are missing and i really need to see those. lol

18. MOAB

MOAB Guest

GPU:
    Galax GTX 950 Sniper OC
    anyone update this thread?

19. ErfanDL

ErfanDL Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 Direct CU TOP
    tnx for guide

20. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    My rig :)
    i have 12cm noctua rear exhaust, and 12cm noctua side exhaust, 1 Phanteks 14cm front intake and a 14cm thermalright front intake (+noctua d-14), all fans in case are PWM and all max speed except the thermalright, the 2500rpm is reserved for summer time.

[​IMG]

the bottom front intake is blowin cool air right up the rear of the gpus, the top front intake feeds the cpu cooler and cools ram.
    my psu fan never runs basically.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015