Frame skipping nightmare!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fromd, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    No, unfortunately not and im not so sure its the GPU since i had it RMAd, and recieved a new one through the warranty.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Have you tried installing latest firmware for your SSD and BIOS, the problem may lay in those two.

If you already did, install your OS on HDD only, and not SSD, and try it out, but before you do so there is one thing that came across my mind.

Google your motherboard and seek out any information at what SATA connectors you should plug in your SSD, why am I telling you this?!

Well for example my motherboard manufacturer specifies that IF SSD is going to be installed in my system it should be connected to SATA ports 1 to 4, and any additional HDD's in that case should be from 5 to lets say 8; so they dont ''confront'' each other if it makes sense.

Also have you set your SSD in BIOS options to run in AHCI mode?

If you did, try the above, and search your mobo info online about to which SATA ports should you plug in what type of HDD/SSD.

After you've done all that run a check of your HDD/SSD health, to see if there are any bad sectors or such.

EDIT: Oh and If may I ask how old is your SSD, and what SSD do you have?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same here.
    I agree with trying the GPUm elsewhere or another GPU in his system.

I was also going to suggest making sure your system BIOS and SSD firmware are up to date.
    The other suggestions to disable the Intel Matrix storage manager, try different SATA controllers and try a windows install on a hard drive are worth a shot.

Are you testing with vsync enabled or disabled?
    What framerate are you getting?

4. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Its not possible for me, right now, to try the gpu on a different system, or replace it, but i did a test with the build in mb-gpu and i got the same stutter, so i think we can rule it out?

Also flashing the bios was the first thing i did when i got the mb via MSI update utility.

My SSD is about a year old and its a "MICRON C400-MTFDDAK128MAM 128gb" and i did update the firmware for it because a was getting some kind of BSOD related to its older firmware.

EDIT: Btw have tried both with and without v-sync, normal and adaptive. No difference. and FRAPS says im running around 90 fps most of the time. And MB manual (MSI x79ma-gd45) doesn't say anything about which sata to use, but im pretty sure they are placed like they should.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you havent tried again with vsync on since alleviating the latency issues, you may not know if you have solved the problem.
    Without vsync, it is quite often jerky, even when framerate is above the monitors refresh.

6. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Have you set it to AHCI mode?

7. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Ive tried every time both with and without vsync and AHCI mode is set on by default.

The frammeskipping is so inconsitent though. Sometimes, when i make a change, whereever(like in the BIOS, or NVIDIA CP etc.) The frame skipping disappears, but if i restart the game, just to double check, the frame skipping is back... Found out though, that if i enter an empty map in tf2, the frame skipping doesnt show up at all. So it only occurs where there AI or other players..

8. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Could it be connection related? Though I have no idea on how that would be possible, especially in every game, if that really is the case. Have you tried offline games?

9. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Impossible, its in all games, single, multiplayer, online or offline. Even unplugged the inter cabel, just to make sure something wasnt interfering with the games :p

10. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Yeah, it was a wild guess, I don't see how it could've been that anyway.
    It's just that all probable causes have kinda been tested here.

Can't you try linux to make sure it's caused by hardware?

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Follow SSD tweaking guides (well, only few things you should done, and you probably know it).

Disable indexing on SSD, Prefetcher, superfetch, disable any unnecessary background services (bloatware cr*p etc.). Also, make sure to disable windows write-caching for all drives SSD and HDD (i suggested that in another thread also) by ticking both options ON, it will put less stress on system RAM, and use drive memory for write-caching. I played NFS The Run (installed on HDD), and on some maps i got strange skipping (similar you mentioned), after doing that (for HDD also, ticking both options ON) completley gone, and works flawless without hitch, even at low FPS.

Also, i run without pagefile, not sure if have any influence, didn't tested with it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  12. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    You could try to bump up your GPU voltage a pinch with afterburner.
    Just a shot in the dark but you never know.

13. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Hi! Sorry for not having responded over the weekend, but ive been a little busy. Haven't tried Linux yet, but i did follow some SSD and HDD tweaking guides, but nothing helped unfortunatley. About the gpu voltage, should i try to force a constant voltage? or? Not really good at oc :p Thx for the great suggestions though! Really appreciate the help! ;D

Btw this is the in game graph. supposed to spike that much?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  14. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Well, I seem to have those same spikes, maybe not as much as you but it's hard to tell by just that one screenshot, I don't think that's the problem.

Edit: I'm just taking a wild guess here, but could it be something about PCIe latency/timing or something in that direction? I remember reading something about that, people had somewhat similar issues like this one and they saw improvements by bumping the PCIe frequency?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Is deafult at 32. what should i change it to?

16. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    You can change it to 64, or 96, try 64 first. It tells CPU for how "long" it will keep one device before refresh. It can solve some problems, but i seriously doubt that is your problem.

If you don't notice any difference, please, bring it back to default of 32. From my own testing, depends from PC, on some it is better to set 64, on some 32, but it is mostly the best option the default option (for example, on my last MOBO default was 64, and that was the best, on current 32, and that is the best option).

Bring back everything to stock, if anything is overclocked, make sure nothing is under/overvolted.

17. justinone

justinone Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600 GT
    I have the EXACT same problem and have had it for about 2 years now.

Like OP i've spent more time trying to fix it then gaming itself and i am so frustrated with it you cant even imagine. Luckily most of the newer games work fine like bf3, bf4 but i have to use a frame limit of 59 to not get any microstutter.

I have no idea how it came about. one day it was fine, the next unplayable.
    I have tried every trick in the book but i see some new ideas in this thread that i will try out. i've changed out pretty much every bit of hardware in my pc appart from my PSU and hard drives in an effort to kill this frame skipping bulls***.

3770k 4.2ghz
    290x
    8gb
    win7

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you installed Intel`s chipset drivers, and then Intel`s RST drivers?

And btw, when using Latencymon you can copy its report to clipboard and paste it here.

19. justinone

justinone Member

GPU:
    Geforce 7600 GT
    Yes i have chipset and RST installed.

here is my latency mon

[​IMG]

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I meant menu Edit=>Copy report text to clipboard Ctrl+C