Overclock your SSD - Intel makes a promise

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Now who doubts, just like me, that this is going to be popular ? Tweaking an SSD for performance, whilst your most precious data is stored on it ? Yeah, me neither.*As it appears, it is also possib...

Overclock your SSD - Intel makes a promise

2. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Oh dear...I'm soooo looking forward to reading about drive crashes, drives been wiped and drives that don't boot anymore. ;-)

3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    After reading this am really happy that my i7 3930K is out of picture because am pretty sure that I would have want to try this and most probably would lose data :) Thanks Intel. bring on Haswell-E!!

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If there is anything i wouldn't wanna f**k with it's this.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Couldn't agree more.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    :wanker:Data is much more valuable than any hardware prices out there...if you don't backup your data playing with this kind of oc it's like pointing a gun at your head

7. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Although important data should be backed up anyway, I still wouldn't overclock a storage device. Reinstalling an operating system due to corruption can be a pain.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    it's ok, hardcore overclockers will throw their money in the name of e-peen

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I dream of the day i can overclock everthing, even the case. It will be a glorious day.:infinity:

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Even overclocking a case sounds like a better idea than overclocking a harddrive.....lol

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Overclock then check for reliability? 24 hour stress tests don't bode well for SSD's.

The idea isn't a complete loss though. Conceptually, you could have 'standard' mode, for normal operation, and a pre-configured 'overclocked' modes (maybe a 'safe' mode and one that pushes things to the limits) that is still within the upper drive limits, but with the downside of greater power usage. Standard systems would use the standard mode, those enthusiasts wanting a little extra can try the 'safe' overclock mode without overtly risking their data, and then the 'stupidly' risky mode could warn you upon each time applying, and upon boot etc (if you can set it in the drive firmware).

Simply being able to change the drive's controller speed, timings etc would be pointless as most people wouldn't know where to start, it would vary drastically from model to model, and just creates too much risk. The preconfigured modes (pretested) is the only realistic way this could be done without getting a massive backlash from all those users who get carried away with their tweaking.

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Sooooo what real performance would you actually see? I mean SSD's are already crazy fast I don't think risking complete data loss and hours of reinstalling software for 1 or 2 seconds of boot time is a viable option.

But then i suppose there are those who do simply because they can..

13. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I don't dream it i know it is coming soon after reading this i can see Intel introducing (NITRO BOOST®) on future cpu's..:eek3:Dont you dare steal my tm r ...:chainsaw:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    someone at Intel's seems to smoke to much stuff

15. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I think otherwise they are very smart while introducing oc on their ssd they will make a very large profit from enthusiasts overclockers (who knows how many they will destroy to try and achieve the highest possible oc) while in the meantime introducing a new feature that other ssd manufacturers might have to pay them to integrate oc ... Conclusion it always comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I think this case comes as close as possible for now.. With those flipping sides and stuff.. :D

[​IMG]