Asus 7770 + 12.10 (or 12.11b11) + Starcraft 2 = Display driver stopped responding?;_;

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Renzeko, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Renzeko

Renzeko Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 1.2GB
    Hey guys, so I got this computer built:

Mobo:Asus M5A97 R.20 (up to date bios)
    RAM: 8GB Patriot 1600Mhz
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6 core 3.5ghz
    PSU: Corsair CX500, with 56A on 12v+
    GPU: Asus HD 7770 1GB http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39888
    HDD: 1TB Seagate
    OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 with all updates.

-----

Anyways, it runs great, but SCII for some reason, runs at 60fps constant at 1080p, I was surprised by that really, but the display driver keeps crashing when too many things happen at once. It's especially bad in customs where you can send waves and waves of units, the game will load 200+ units no problem, 60fps, but then the computer will freeze about 10-15 seconds, and display driver has stopped responding and has recovered...

-----------Things I've tried:

-Switching between 12.10 and the newest 12.11b11, using driver sweeper in between.

-Reformatting and using the beta drivers from scratch.

-Different graphics settings in SC2

-Stress testing the GPU in Furmark to see if it's crashing from heat (Lasted 12 hour Furmark no crash...)

-Updated DX

-------------

So... Any ideas? Card might be a dud? Or just bad drivers with the 7xxx?

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

try 11.8

3. Renzeko

Renzeko Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 1.2GB
    Exact same thing happens with 11.8 Q_Q

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    What settings are you using?
    Not even I am getting 60fps in SC2 at 1080, that is at best settings.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds like a thermal reset, what are you temps like right before it crashes?

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i get 60fps at 1920x1200 with SSAA and all the IQ cranked up...

but im using a7970

lol

7. Renzeko

Renzeko Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 570 1.2GB
    Okay, so I played a 4v4 round with some hardware logging on the right side of my screen so I could try to find a pattern to the crashing. Since I was playing Windowed, I guess that went easier on the GPU so it didn't crash as* often..

First crash:
    http://i.imgur.com/wdVU9.jpg

GPU Temp: 51C
    GPU Usage: 60%
    Fan speed: 15%
    Memory Usage: 110MB

Second Crash:
    http://i.imgur.com/UG9yA.jpg

GPU Temp: 55C
    GPU Usage 61%
    Fan speed: 15%
    Memory Usage: 416MB

:| Nothing seems to be standing out...

EDIT: I'm randomly crashing to an off black screen, can't ctrl alt dlt or anything... Have to manually restart, nothing stands out or gets logged by event viewer when this happens >.<

Going to look for some GPU diagnostic software, unless anyone knows of any good ones..

Thanks for the suggestions so far..

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. xChimp

xChimp Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 4GB
    Hey there, I'm not sure if you've found a fix yet, but I think I may have a solution that worked for me. I too have a 7770 (funnily enough also from Memory Express) and I was getting the same issue with most of my games. The card that I had bought was also an overclocked card, and what I did after having my card crash for months was lower the clocks of the card to the stock clocks of 1000/1125.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Checked board and cooling design...
    Card have decent and Powerful cooling for GPU since it is low power GPU. But It has no heat sinks at all on VRMs.

As for memories, they are rated 1250MHz, so down clocking would not do big difference since heat dissipation into board itself should be sufficient. (Other than drawing less current via VRMs.)

I would use HWiNFO64 to get actual VRMs Temperature. This board uses cheaper ones which are rated bellow 100°C instead of expensive which should survive 120°C.

So 15% of fan RPMs may be far enough for GPU, but make sure VRMs are not going to critical temperature.

I see this as general problem of any overkill GPU core cooling.
    Since GPU is not going to high temperatures, there is no need to ramp fan speed and increasing airflow around other components on board.