Black screenshots in Sleeping Dogs, any solution?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Pey, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Hi,

I´m writing a review for this game (yeah, i know it´s kinda old by now) and I need to take some shots but they came out black -either with steam utility or using fraps.

I tried several drivers and sli flags (with 0x0C4010F5 it plays awesome, 90-99% usage on both cards). Any ideas what might be causing this?
    I tried the game with 1 gpu and screenshots are fine, so it´s definitely a sli issue.

Regards

2. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    are u using any other third party apps to enable flags for SLI or AA?

3. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Just inspector to change the flag.

4. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I'm experiencing this problem, too. Screenshots comes out in black. Googled for a fix, no luck.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The default DX1x SLI flag doesn't allow for taking screenshots with Afterburner so use 0x080116F5 instead. I've been taking screenshots just fine with that and it improved SLI scaling too. It wasn't me who discovered this by the way but another forum user who I forget the name of (sorry!).

*EDIT*
    Disregard the above flag as it looks like my SLI flag was reset during a profile update without me realising it. I'll see if I can find the original flag and update this post. Sorry 'bout that.

Use the Battlefield 3 DX1_ SLI flag: 0x080116F5

Alternatively, you can also try: 0x084010F5 which was definitely the flag I used to take the majority of my screenshots when I played the game extensively last August.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Thanks for the update, Darren.
    I've just tried both SLI flags : 0x080116F5 and 0x084010F5.
    Unfortunately, they both resulted in black screen.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Really? Well, NVIDIA must have changed the drivers then such that the flags are no longer compatible as the last one definitely worked for me with the v306.97 drivers as I found an old post of mine from last August on another forum.

Have you tried FRAPS?

*EDIT*
    FRAPS does not work unfortunately either nor does Steam's screenshot feature.

I can assue you that it was working previously as I have over a hundred screenshots taken from the game. Unless you can get it working by changing Afterburner's settings from Framebuffer to Viewport or vice versa or by enabling modified Direct3D runtime libraries compatibility via the spanner icon then it looks like we can no longer take screenshots. Which sucks as it is a very pretty game at times. :(

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Indeed, there must have been some changes in NV drivers since v306.97. (Now drivers are different branch).

Yes, I've tried AfterBurner as well as built-in Steam screen capture thing. Let me try Fraps. Will report back shortly.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You could try pressing Alt-Enter to switch to windowed mode then using PrtScrn and finally pasting it into an art package using Ctrl-V. Clumsy, I know, but it looks like being the only way to currently take screenshots seeing as Afterburner, FRAPS and Steam no longer work.

10. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Yep. Just tried Fraps. Same.. black screen.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can you take screenshots with SLI disabled? Not ideal but it might be only an issue with SLI.

12. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Yes, Darren. I can take screenshot with SLI disabled. A single Titan handles the game fine with everything maxed except for AA = High at 2560x1600p @ 60fps.

However, Titan SLI is needed to run the game with ExtremeAA at 50~60 fps. :(

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    All I can suggest is experimenting with different DX1_ SLI flags from other games in the hope that you find an alternative that both scales well and allows for screenshots to be taken in Sleeping Dogs.

You could also ask someone on the GeForce.com SLI or 3DCenter SLI forums.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    screen shots are working fine on my end using the default flag that came with the game. im using evga precision x though if that makes any difference.

[​IMG]

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's interesting, PhazeDelta1, so EVGA Precision 4.0 works but Afterburner 3.0 doesn't? Odd as I thought both shared the same code and developer so I'd have expected either both to work or both to not work.

I may have to switch over to EVGA Precision then. What are the differences between them anyway?

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Other than the UI, nothing that I am aware of.

17. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Hmm.. that's strange and interesting.

It's my understanding that EVGA Precision X and MSI AfterBurner are the same application (just different skin) based on Unwinder's RivaTuner.

Also, Steam's built-in screen capture feature did not work with Sleeping Dogs. Fraps didn't work either. Neither did MSI AfterBurner... but essentially, AfterBurner = Precision X.

I'll try Precision X later.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm going to do the same. Precision X does have a Framerate Target option that Afterburner doesn't so am I right in assuming that it is more NVIDIA centric than MSI Afterburner?

I think I originally used Afterburner over Precision because I had a GPU monitoring gadget in Windows 7 but since I'm on Windows 8 now and gadgets are no longer supported then there is no need for me to stick with Afterburner if Precision's screenshot feature works with more games.

I wonder if it is worth mentioning this issue to Unwinder so that he can update Afterburner?

19. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    bandicam?

20. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    MSI AfterBurner has it, too.