Best ram for my laptop?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Druidiii, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    Hello

The reason I am asking is I bought some Corsair ram 2x4 gigs worth of ram for my laptop don't remember which type, and it is making the computer very unstable in programs that make heavy use of the ram. Have had the computer crash a few times now cause of this problem, forcing me to reboot my computer. Want to downgrade to 2x4 gigs cause I know this will be stable, just need to find the best I can get for $100 or less.

The type I am looking for advice on is to what is the best possible 2x2 gigs of ram: PC2-6400 DDR2-800 240pin SDRAM SODIMM I can buy for my laptop?

Was looking at: Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

How ever I suspect this may be the wrong type of ram and may not fit in my Hp G62-219ca laptop.

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    You need 200pin (SODIMM) for laptops with DDR2, those RAM sticks are for desktop pcs.

Did the problems start right after getting that corsair ram?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    No I bought the ram like 6 months a go, booted up my computer yesterday and got a blue screen stating a fatal memory crash has happened and shutdown. I am now running on a single 4 gig memory stick suffering some performance loss as my laptop is designed to run in pairs for best performance.

Keep in mind Hp is running a custom motherboard bios on my laptop, and has implemented restrictions as to what my laptop can handle and can not handle in regards to hardware. So this could be part of the problem as I do not have access to the bios as Hp locked it as well.

4. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction found out this is what my current ram is in my notebook: http://www.corsair.com/vs2gsds800d2.html

Found this would it be good ram to buy as I use my laptop for gaming: Kingston HyperX KHX6400S2LLK2/4G 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 200PIN SODIMM Memory Kit. I know my notebook sucks for gaming still would like to by the best ram I can find for this notebook pc. Am interested in alternative suggestions as well for what brand of ram I should buy.

5. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    As even the laptop version of the Kingston HyperX ram will not work for my latop, I am still at a loss as to what brand and model of ram to buy for best performance?

6. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    You won't see any performance gains, at least not noticeable ones with faster ram.
    It's really only for over clockers, people with too much money, some special applications and if you have integrated graphics that uses your RAM as vram.
    That ram you linked should work for your laptop, did you already buy it?
    Since your the specs on your laptop is very limited, I would suggest to buy a little slower ram just to be on the safe side. Being a random HP motherboard who knows what it does with too fast ram, maybe it won't even post.

If performance is what you are looking for in gaming, GPU is the way to go followed by your CPU.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  7. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    Fair enough, what are good brands to buy ie. Kingston, Corsair for ram? I am going to check prices at my local Hp store but I suspect ram may be expensive buying from them. Would like to buy from a company that makes reliable good quality ram even if it is not the best for speed and low latency. From what I have seen shopping on the internet the only real difference for the most part is brand name for the type of ram I am shopping for.

Upgrading the gpu and cpu on this laptop are not an option.

8. Druidiii

Druidiii Guest

GPU:
    Intel Gma 4500hdm
    Have finally narrowed it down to these three choices:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=41241&vpn=KVR800D2S6/2G&manufacture=Kingston

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=39999&vpn=KTT800D2/2G&manufacture=Kingston Branded

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=37152&vpn=VS2GSDS800D2&manufacture=Corsair

Out these three options which would you suggest I buy, all three are so similar I am not sure which one to buy? I am not so much concerned about the price, as I am about the reliability of the ram to work well under heavy loads during gaming sessions.