ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (2.0) & FX 8350 (8 cores Black Edition)... OPINION ???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by asimriz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    1) Antec 300 is quite good, used to have the old version, reasonably priced, good airflow, unless anyone has any better ideas.
    2) Spend a bit of cash here, it will do you good in the long run. 650W is a good area to be nowadays. Corsair, Enermax, Coolermaster, Seasonic are good brands off the top of my head.
    3) SSDs are coming down in price and are well worth getting, your system will be so much quicker for it. Most people use a 128-256 GB SSD as a boot drive (£100-150 nowadays, sometimes cheaper), and a 1TB normal HDD for data/steam games/movies/music etc, or if you're slightly mad like me, a 512 GB SSD with 4 1 TB drives for a LOT of data :p

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ummm, the Sabertooth does not have support for IDE drives, there's no PATA support at all, you need to go fully SATA if you want to get this board.

deltatux

3. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thanks Deltatux, I'll take that into consideration but I was gng SATA anyway :D WD or Seagate ?

Also guys, before I was thinking of getting either a GTX 660 ti or a GTX 670.... However, I've decided to purchase a 7950 instead :D Which is the best 7950 to get ? I've checked reviews but how does the 670 compare to the 7950 in ur opinion ? Also, MSI or Gigabyte ?

UPDATE: my Sabertooth 990fx 2.0 is on its way !!!!! WOOHOO ! I thought of waiting for the Gen3 version but quite frankly I think that's just another money making item....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. YankeeDiver

YankeeDiver Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX790
    MSI and Gigabyte are both really good names. It comes down to two things for me. Cooling (noise) and software that comes with the card. After that all cards are almost the same thing. If you are looking reference base. If you are looking at factory overclock than make sure they have a good fan for cooling.

5. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Cheers YankeeDiver..... I have another question plz... I wana get an internal HDD 500GB@ 7200rpm. I've checked Seagate & WD. Which one should I get which is perfect for gaming ? I don't wana spend more than £60... Thanks in advance...

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Should be able to get 1TB for that money. Avoid seagate, their drives are the only ones which have ever died on me, the rest are good.

7. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I use seagate exclusively.

Otherwise i agree with BLEH!, get a 1TB drive. Either seagate or WD should be fine. WD Black maybe a little faster but i haven't seen any numbers on the 7200.14's from seagate.

Either way you will probably never notice a difference. The only difference for me was that some games load faster, but not all.

EDIT: I saw the difference when i went from a seagate drive to an SSD. Also it doesn't matter what i use Things like the heaven benchmark and 3dmark, just take a long time to load and run. It's probably unrelated to the harddrive.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    All my HDD's are Seagate, never had a problem with them....I think WD and Seagate are both good brands.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    At stock, you're looking at around 180W from an 8350 at 100% load. A comparable Intel processor uses around 80-85.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Even with a TDP of 125 W?

11. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    The facts I've read are that the 8350 has a power consumption of about 125W but 180W at stock ? DAYEM ! That makes the 8350 a bit inefficient. Na man, is that figure from ur personal experience or from the internet ?

On another note, I've decided to go with WD for HDD.... But I'll be getting a 500GB one... R there any WD sata drives that you kind people might suggest for me that r best for gaming performance ?

UPDATE: I bought a brand new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X for £200 :p Fking steal :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That 180W is probably the whole system, not just the CPU

13. YankeeDiver

YankeeDiver Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX790
    Seagate or Western Digital are both good brands. I believe they are owned by the same company. Just make sure you get on that is SATA 6.0Gb at least 7200RPM. Do not get a stupid green or blue version of anything. They do not have the duty cycle or the seek time of a black version. Plus the black version of a WD hard drive has a 5 year warranty.(which is a very nice thing to have)

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  15. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Thanks for the info Ice... Good stuff.... Guys wot PSU should I have for the following (these r the final components esp w the mobo & GPU already on the way :p):

Asus Sabertooth 990fx 2.0 mainboard
    AMD FX-8350 CPU
    WD Caviar Black Sata 500GB HDD
    Corsair Vengeance memory 8GB@1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3x GPU
    Any regular DVD burner

I'm guessing around 650W MAX ? What r ur thoughts ? I don't wana soend too much on a PSU, I just wana get a GOOD PSU without the bell & whistles... Antec or OCZ are more economical as compared to Corsair right ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  17. Heuchler

Heuchler Guest

TDP = Thermal Design Power

TDP = Thermal Design Power

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running "real applications". This ensures the computer will be able to handle essentially all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, or requiring a cooling system for the maximum theoretical power (which would cost more but in favor of extra headroom for processing power).
    In some cases the TDP has been underestimated such that in real applications (typically strenuous, such as video encoding or games) the CPU has exceeded the TDP. In this case, the CPU will either cause a system failure (a "therm-trip") or throttle its speed down.[1] Most modern CPUs will only cause a therm-trip on a catastrophic cooling failure such as a stuck fan or a loose heatsink.
    For example, a laptop's CPU cooling system may be designed for a 20 watt TDP, which means that it can dissipate up to 20 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the computer chip. It can do this using an active cooling method such as a fan or any of the three passive cooling methods, convection, thermal radiation or conduction. Typically, a combination of methods is used.
    Since safety margins and the definition of what constitutes a real application vary among manufacturers, TDP values between different manufacturers cannot be accurately compared. While a processor with a TDP of 100 W will almost certainly use more power at full load than a processor with a 10 W TDP, it may or may not use more power than a processor from a different manufacturer that has a 90 W TDP. Additionally, TDPs are often specified for families of processors, with the low-end models usually using significantly less power than those at the high end of the family.
    The dynamic power consumed by a switching circuit is approximately proportional to the square of the voltage:

[​IMG]
    (where C is capacitance, f is frequency and V is voltage).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

18. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6950XT
    S!

I am also running Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 Gen3 and a happy camper with it. Took a bit for me to figure out how to set up the 1866MHz setting for my Corsair Vengeance memory kit, the manual is not the best one explaining how to do things.

Now a stupid question. I do not intend to OC the CPU, but could use a tweak here and there to get most out of the mobo. AUTO settings sure work but manually adjusting them can be better sometimes. So the question is..which settings have an effect on performance if set manually instead of Auto? HT/NB or what?

Thanks in advance if someone could do a quick and dirty guide which settings are good :) Been a while for me to fiddle with BIOS and there's a plenty of options in there..:bang:

19. asimriz

asimriz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PE OC
    Hey buddy... How's the GEN3 ? I was waiting for this one but well I'm more than happy w 2.0 :p So anyway, I OC'ed mine to 4.4GHz stable. I only changed the multiplier if I remember correctly. And then leave the voltages at auto. That's wot I think is ur safest bet. Surely ur CPU voltage would be around 1.38-1.4V mark but leaving it at auto gave me more stability... And don't worry abt the BIOS ! Very easy. Main thing is to familiarize urself with the various screens, nothing more :) Good luck....

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Auto will send your voltages sky high when overclocking....