AV-Test downgrades Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    If you browse normal websites like this one, other forums, ebay, amazon, craigslist....what is the need for anything other than MSE?

I check email through Windows Live Mail. I get a lot of junk as I have been using the same email address for more than 10 years but I don't recall ever getting a virus through email.

2. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    I downloaded Bitdefender 2013 Internet Security trial, so far it's pretty good. Not sure how much effect on a system it has, I 3770k with 16gb of ram, ssd, and windows 8 and I don't notice a single slip with it.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Best AV is sensible browsing and staying away from dubious downloads.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunate for MS but the greatest protection is being alert and not relying only on the AV so I'm keeping MSE because it stays out of the way and doesn't affect system performance.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    True enough.

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    While I agree on that, it's sometimes not enough. There are too many remote attacks related to the browsers, PDFs etc (including flash ads). Also, some people exchange data in office/school/among friends, what can be risky. So good AV may be needed. However if someone's stupid, not even the best antivirus will protect them.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    We are smart people here, right?
    Do as hallryu says, and do a system scan every so often, Spybot/Malwarebytes are awesome scanning tools. Put someones flashdrive in, scan it. Downloaded from a site you are not sure about, scan the file.

Otherwise, I can vouch for Avast. I'm not sure what Ven0m is talking about, it's been a really good free AV software for a long time now.
    The last time I had to use it was when my father got a virus that fudged up a fully updated Norton. I installed Avast, 5 minutes later virus was gone after one restart.

8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So is Malwarebytes anti-virus as well as other things? It just does not have real time scanning?

If that's the case, i'm happy with that! Would run it once in a while and save on memory to boot! (and boot time ;))

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Not anti-virus, but scans for anything that might 'hijack' a PC or gain info from it. Virus tend to be a bit more destructive and go for system 32 files. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    on my pc i have malwarebytes anti-malware and norton 360...

that's why i feel safe and sound...i hate free protection...:pc1:

11. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    just don't click on the pop up with fake scan saying your PC is infected. lol. safe browsing is the key. doesn't matter if you have the best security. If you just click on whatever pops up or sucked into stuff ain't no security out there will save your ass

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah MSE i always new it was crap, this more ammo to think it is. Avast is up there though

Been using spybot S&D1.6 and Malwarebytes and avast for years.never had a issue really

13. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Yep. Avira is extremely light and detects all kinds of sh¡t.

It's not as "easy" to use as othe antivirus software, and the free version shows a pop-up ad every day, but it doesn't bother me that much taking into consideration that it's IMO the best AV out there.

Also it's one of the best ones in the prestigious AV-Comparatives: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_fdt_201209_en.pdf

And yes MSE does horribly on AV-Comparatives too.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Have been using it for many years. It's excellent.

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Some people here act like if it was impossible to get infected without being stupid.

I once got infected by simply clicking a link from a 2nd page google search result that looked perfectly legit.

I did not click on anything else than the link. The virus infected automatically my computer by only opening the web site (probably flash exploit dunno). From the google search result it looked like a perfectly legit web site where i could get the information i needed about a legal subject.

The virus made my computer so slow i could not remove it. I had to remove the HD and use another computer to clean it. Lost almost an entire night. Since then i always install an av.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This.
    A few more:
    Your favourite website(s) may get hacked and deliver a juicy payload.
    Or even an advert site, its happened before.

ps I use Avast and Comodo, awesome freeness

17. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Came here to post the same thing :D

Avira is good and all, but it is so damn annoying. I uninstalled it out of frustration, stupid popup came up when I was working lol.

18. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Wow, it only pops up on me like once a day. I really don't mind it, specially knowing that on the latest test (here), out of 240.000 malware sets, Avira couldn't detect 0.2%, while Avast couldn't detect 1.4% (seven times more) and MSE 5.1% (still wondering why people still use that thing).

GData does get the least undetected malware sets (0.1%), but its false positive count is way higher than tolerable... and there's no free version.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I highly recommend Bitdefender & Malware Antibytes. I've used both & find them great to use & very effective.

20. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What about if your gaming and it pops up?