Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Limitations, limitations and more limitations. If you want to experience many of the features that Microsoft has in store for the Xbox One console, you had better have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscript...

Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What's new? Xbox is borderline useless with Live gold.

3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    EPICFAIL , :puke2: , FACEPALM

4. Nuwidol

Nuwidol Guest

GPU:
    Titan SLI
    Hmm, Headline should read: Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members until MS realises no one is happy & then it will be free for everyone.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They said Xbox will be the new watercooler at the reveal. Will water also be held ransom for $60 p.a.?

6. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    It's sixty bucks a year, who cares... Besides half the people won't even use the feature.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Doesn't bother me. Gold subscription is not that much money plus the network is still years ahead of PSN. It costs money for them to add features like this. Sony just figured this out this generation.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    [​IMG]

You could argue that skype would be handy as an in-game voice chat service, but Xbox already had this feature so skype just seems a little redundant, and also less practical for games.

9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Can the NSA not pay for it? you know since Microsoft lets them listen

Also they tried this with the BBC iplayer too years ago

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I'm fine with that as long as they still offer a free game every two weeks.

11. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Sick of the XBOX bashing by GURU3D

I am so sick of the blatant bias GURU3D is showing for the Playstation. You guys are supposed to report the news in a UN-BIASED manner. I currently own both systems and will own both next gen systems as well so I am a fan of both. I just think it's sad and unprofessional of the writers here to continually dump on Microsoft when it is clear that although some missteps were made initially they have come out and made up for most every mistake (by listening to the customers!). Come on guys give it a rest already and judge the consoles when they're released and the games are available. Only then will any of us be able to make a proper judgement.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MS does a good enough job of making itself look bad. Blame them.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So anyone else remember the good old days of consoles? Before online was added and they fiqure they could start making more money withhold stuff.... Last i check skype is free on the pc. but console people will have to pay for it.. Still think Console are superior?

But you all love your online and cant live with out they know this so they making you pay for these things now.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Who is to say the subscription will remain $60 for the foreseeable future? After all, they believe they're "over delivering value". Suckers.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Microsoft is only offering free games until end of year if you read the fine print.

That's already an issue on XBOX 360, nearly every service requires XBOX Live Gold like YouTube, GameTrailers, Crackle, Netflix ... anything that routes Internet traffic basically. My XBOX 360 will become just a glorified media centre extender except play offline games come 2014 when I fully migrate over to Playstation Network with the PS4.

One thing that bugged me about PS3 was the lack of cross-game play chat. Like honestly, how did Sony not think about that?

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

16. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    lol This honestly just mad me face palm.

17. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Honestly it sounds like you're the one who's biased if you can't see all the bull**** Microsoft has pulled up until now.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS will do what ever they can get away with on the console side, WHich is slightly less the they can get away with in the PC side cause the monopolize the PC side cause 99% of all pc are running there OS and people have no choice but to take it. They cant pull the same stuff with the Console's with out castrating them selves, but trust me they will do what ever they cant get away with. Console people will roll over and pay they what they what they be doing it for years. Even if they didnt reverse what they did PEOPLE would bought the system.

Skype free on pc Console you will pay and people will. Multiplayer on PC is FREE console guess what we all gona pay for it now cause cause the idiots that put up with it for XBOX. A MMO game is only game we should have to sub to to play. Consoles you will have to pay to play online PC will be free. You really want to subcribe to that you have to pay for sub to play multiplayer games on servers that arnt MMO games that is right but PC has the games counter part for free. and you are the people that put everyone in the same boat of have to pay for something that is free on pc end.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  19. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I don't see he bias. The news is just news, giving us information about the limitations on the new XBOX.

About the opinions about the news here in the forum, we as forum members are free to express our opinions. Different opinions are inevitable

20. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    Gold!