NVIDIA Tegra 4 Will Ship from July

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA's upcoming Tegra 4 SoC chips will start shipping to device manufacturers starting in July. In the latest conference call with financial analysts it became clear that shipments will start in t...

NVIDIA Tegra 4 Will Ship from July

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Actually, the "small energy efficient core" is an underclocked A15.

3. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    I'm glad nobody is ordering this. I will never have another nvidia product in my phone or tablet because of the ****ty support they have. i guess the manufacturers are also feeling that way now.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Is this meant to be a joke?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was wondering the same thing :p

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Probably not. Most mobile developers hate the tegra platform due to all the closed source bull****. It's basically crippled development on a number of top selling products. My Nexus 7's colors still can't be calibrated because of tegra source garbage and because it takes them so long to manufacturer the damn chip it's often underpowered by the time it launches. When T3 launched it was godlike compared to the competition but by the time it found it's way into a product 6 months later it was average at best.

Nvidia needs to get their **** together.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nvidia has the reputation as the best developer support in the industry.

The Tegra 3 was more than adequate for its generation and the Tegra 4 looks to repeat that with the next generation. Tegra 5 is finally going to have unified shaders and is supposed to share the same architecture as the Kepler series.

Hell, they even have their own app store (Tegra zone) where the approve apps that specifically run/look better on Tegra.

Your arguing about semantics that don't apply to 99.9% of the population (calibrate colors on tablet screen!? Never heard anyone request that before).

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm quite obviously talking about ROM/Kernel development and not game or application development. I also never recall stating anything about it's effect on 99.9% of the population. I said that there are a number of popular devices that are crippled in the ways stated above due to it having a Tegra processor.

9. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    I have the lg g2x which still does not have ics on it because of driver source code issues from nvidia as well as lg. if they would have released source code i would not be pissed and i could have a working ****ing rom on my phone. there is no reason that a tegra 2 in a phone cannot run it.
    and you are an idiot if you think they have the best developer support. why do you think linius the father of liniux told nvidia to go **** themselves, oh yeah becuase they are not open source.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And since when did "open source" have anything to do with superior quality code?

And there sounds like there are other issues than just Nvidia in your ROM problem. My Transformer TF101 with Tegra 2 runs ICS very nicely indeed.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Where did he say anything about superior quality code? Why do you keep adding words to what we are saying?

Because Nvidia's driver source is closed 3rd party developers can't get the ION and other media drivers to work along with a whole bunch of other issues. Which means they can't port the devices to ICS when the manufacturer/operator decides to drop support.

It's the same crap on the desktop as well. Nvidia's linux support is garbage and their drivers are closed source so the community has to reverse engineer everything to get most configurations to work. Now Nvidia may have a very good reason for keeping their drivers closed, but in the mean time multiple devices have terrible support, some configurations are flat out broken and as a customer I actively avoid their products when its going to effect me.