F___ me Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 No SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kvkx71, Jan 10, 2009.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unless I misunderstood something....there should be an extra chip for SLI...the nForce200 chip. If I understood that correctly, the lack of SLI would mean that simply flashing the bios or installing any specific driver wouldn't change whether or not SLI works. Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong....eventually I'm gonna have to know whether I am or not...lol

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i don't think that's true with x58....that was something nvidia did that wasn't highly applauded if i can remember correctly and they don't do that anymore

3. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    the chip is if you want the board to run all three pci slots at x16 instead of x16 and the others at x8. no difference other than that. may i suggest the evga board. lifetime warranty and good customer service.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Nope SLI is a separately licensed chip which board manufacturers must pay an additional fee to get.

Crossfire on the other hand doesn't need this and that is why most boards are Crossfire supported, but may not be SLI.

Sounds like you are screwed if you expect to run SLI cards in a CF board. You can't just jumper and flash your way out of this, it's a hardware conflict, not software.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009

5. Freakazoid81

Freakazoid81 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Not on X58. The manufacturers have to pay only for the SLI license, not for a chip, they can, if they want, buy the nForce200 chip, which utilizes x amount of pci-express connections so they can offer 3 true x16 pci-e slots...

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    You can always look on the bright side. This has saved you the price of another video card which you can proceed to spend on hookers and booze... *khm* education :p

7. kvkx71

kvkx71 Active Member

GPU:
    3x BFG Geforce 280GTX
    nvm.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

That's incorrect. Only if the vendor wants full x16 PCIe lanes the NF200 chip is needed.

The motherboard manufacturer has to certify the motherboard through NVIDIA. Once approved in botht the SBIOS and GeForce driver a key is placed, these need to handshake after which SLI functionality will open up, that and a 5 dollar license fee per mobo for NVIDIA.

That said, I'm astounded that Gigabyte did not certify this motherboard.

9. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Cant you sue?

10. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Did you just say 260's are limited by it's memeory bus???:stewpid: Most ridiculous thing i've heard all morning.

11. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue :DDDDDD :) :D ;D ;)
    BUT
    only you will find an * with 4 size font on the bottom with something like "We are not responsible for any mistakes on spec ...."

12. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    no reason to sue. They handled the matter professionally.

when I'm buying an x58 board, I'll need to watch out for this.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Guess there is a good reason to stick to buying X58 boards that Hilbert reviews. Thanks for the extra info about SLI on X58.

14. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    Agreed

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  15. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    I think he means..

2x285 = 648 clock / 1476mem / 512bit / 2*1024 (2048) ram
    1x295 = 576 clock / 1242mem / 448bit / 2*896 (1792) ram

295 is basically 2*260 not 2*285

16. epiquestions

epiquestions New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor/HD2600XT/512MB
    Nope. :stewpid: He meant that the 295 has 2x260 memory
    He would have liked 295 if it had 2x280specs memory (and even the core clock).

But 295 is a great card. Not a fan of the power usage of highend cards though(4870x2, 4870,280). More computational speed = more power needed..nothing we can do about that :D

17. drunkalien6

drunkalien6 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 470
  18. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Then u sir are very Misinformed

Many Boards can be flashed with there Pro counter part.....

My P5k deluxe can be flashed to a Premium
    My A8n Deluxe and be flashed to Premium
    Some number of MSI can also be done this way.

SLI on X58 is not done Via a Chip, its done Via a BIOS Setting, So there is always a chance u can do it........but there is a chance u cant.....

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i would say that's more then likely wrong... i mean, not that people can OC things to higher end motherboards, rather, if SLI was capable on this guys motherboard, i'm sure that Gigabyte would have already done it, i wouldn't know why they wouldn't do it, just wouldn't be good marketing

20. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    They will, Ive done it quite a few times when clients change there minds on things.

Newegg is one helluva good company and would rather extend there hand out to help, then to lose business.

Good luck