The 7970 Thread. Post your overclocks and experiences here:

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by hallryu, Jan 6, 2012.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Good job they run cooler on the 7xxx series then !!

Ps heres what happened to the VRM's of my Gtx 570 after running OCCT
    [​IMG]
    Note the flame mark which shot out and scorched the board and the capacitor

[​IMG]

Ive had 3 Acceleros since then and would have them in future, that card was not the best re power phases

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Wow i would be looking to send the card back with 112c on the vrms.
    Mine was hot too but not that hot maybe 97c was the max i seen.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ok i think i got it working. which aa is better, msaa or cfaa?

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Can someone explain why 680 is faster than 7970?:bang:
    7970 has more transistors so more effective units, right?
    Drivers or 680 has better architecture?

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Software, but it's not faster if you OC your 7970. Only in purely Nvidia driven games with Physx will it be faster with Physx enabled.

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    IDK what to buy, seriously.

680 has FXAA, TXAA, 2xVsync, Physx and other useless sh!t, but it's cheap and has few VRAM.
    7970? F@cked up drivers, more transistors, more power consumption, less fps :bang:
    What to do? I need more VRAM on my 5970, but it's impossible.
    So, new card, but which?

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I doubt you would be unhappy with either, as long as ATI can hold the drivers together.
    Its the risk you take, I gave up on ATI a while back for many reasons that I will only go into if you ask.

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    What reasons?

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They have multiple driver teams that dont handle the same fixes and didnt appear to communicate between themselves very well.
    So something fixed in one driver may not be fixed in the next driver if a different branch is used.

Features that were supposed to come with the driver often didnt work or werent included.
    This varied from driver to driver also.
    It got so bad that one guy decided to form his own drivers and posted them for us to use.
    He has a massive thread, 155 pages!
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322616

Performance issues plagued certain games and crossfire support was very uncertain.
    It took a long time for some games to get decent performance and/or bugs fixed, some things were never fixed.
    I know NVidia also have a backlog of bugs too, but I didnt ever have so many problems when using NVidia cards.

At that time a few guys who appeared to be from ATIs driver team were posting here.
    They were so obnoxious and self possesed, I despaired.
    They used to try and convince us of things that were incorrect and when we tried to debate it, other Greek guys would pile in to support them and they werent pleasant.
    They werent interested in helping sort the issues, they were more interested in defending themselves.

Theres more, I cant remeber much of it offhand.
    This isnt a flame, its what happened to me.
    Read that thread if you want to get to the root of it.

edit:
    Another thing that plagued us was driver installation issues.
    ATI use many places to store the same information, for use by different parts of the driver or utils I suppose.
    New drivers didnt clear all this data and some would use old data that was incorrect causing annoyances.
    Trying to get rid of all the data was a chore and using driver cleaners left some users with a driver version auto installed that wouldnt update properly.
    There was much more to this.
    The guy who wrote that thread (TwL) had to write his own driver cleaner to fix the issues.

Most of the arguments with the Greek guys were in other threads, not the one linked above.
    They poked their nose into that thread a few times :)
    One guy was called perosmct

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Get whatever is cheapest in your country, performance wise the two are very similar, and for 90% of games your unlikely to even notice the difference when playing.

Either that or pick the one which runs the games, or game engines you like and use now and in the future.

Not sure what the PhysX thing above is all about though, enabling PhysX would make the 680 slower, not faster.

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Mufflore
    Interesting story about TWL moded-drivers. I remember that guy and his thread, but didn't use them and didn't discuss there :nerd:
    Agree, drivers are the main thing, support also. Now things are more-less good for AMD. Plying in new games(sometimes in 1st day) without problems.
    I was happy with 5970 but with 1GB VRAM in 2012 it seems I won't. :O
    Redemption80
    I'll wait 1-2 weeks, now it's 650$ for 680GTX and 550-600 for 7970 here :funny:
    I don't care about 50-70$ difference I must chose something.

Interesting, why a chip with more transistors(4.3B) is slower than another with less transistors(3.5B)

EDIT:
    I know that guy. Seems to be a good person. Yeah sometimes he trolls, but that it's not a trolling it's anti-trolling. This happens in AMD vs Nvidia threads :D
    Driver installation... I didn't know about multiple folders. I knew about huge amount of data which is stored in Windows registry from driver.
    BTW, when I uninstall a driver, always using Driver Sweaper :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I added some more info, not sure if you caught that.

14. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Not trolling at all here, but I recommend switching to the green team guys... I had two 6970's before and I LOVE my 680... FPS might not be as high, but smoothness and driver support is there for sure which outweighs the former...

15. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    mate, I got exactly same score as yours with my 7970 at 1300/1750MHz and 2600k at 4.0GHz...i guess our system gaming performance is on par :)

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3174641

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

16. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    You aimed, and missed the target by a mile. Read the thread title, your post is the definition of trolling...

17. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Funny this, theres at least 2 threads in the first couple of pages in Nvidia section about people with 'jittery' gameplay with a 680.
    Guess it all depends on your system/settings.

Also its well known that multi-gpu setups can suffer from microstutter or feel laggy if you dont set them up properly (eg set up a combination of frame limiter/vsync/triplebuffering/renderahead)
    - its just the same for nVidia multi gpu setups.

So id say your post is bulls***

18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    You are needed in the Nvidia section.

19. BaldManBDC

BaldManBDC Guest

GPU:
    HI Ppls, been an avid reader for a while now. thought it was about time I signed up here.

Just got my PC watercooling all sorted and want to get my 7970 O/Clocked.

I have been trying stock volts within CCC, currently cant get it to overclock much at all really.

I managed 1000mhz on the core, and have been using the OCCT GPU test. testing for 1hr.

Ill put some more details up tonight when I get hime. Hopeing I can get some more out, cause I shelled out a fair whack of cash for my new loop :)

EDIT: After some more messing around this afternoon. I find that I can get 1100mhz @ 1.175v to run for an hour on the OCCT GPU test. If I try 1125 the card drops clocks as it looks like the power control limiting is coming into play, even though I have pushed it up 20% (using MSI Afterburner with config tweaks to overclock)

Here is my new build (hope im allowed to link other forums) http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1019714&page=3

I have more than enough cooling, current temp is 48 deg MAX on the test @ 1100mhz.

Does the Afterburner power control slider work?

2nd EDIT - I forced it on in CCC first then started Afterburner, no throttleing. Just drivers stopping and hard locks now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012