Should I? 3770k from 3570K

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Yes I know, the differences between the two are negligible in most situations...but a friend just upgraded to devils canyon and so has asked if I am interested in the 3770k - I haven't been given a price yet but im sure it'll be a nice price and if Im going to do this, it'll have to be a good price.

Currently running my 3570K at 4.5Ghz as it isn't stable at 4.6 - his 3770k has been rock solid at 4.6 and semi stable at 4.7...bugger all difference on that front.

I do mainly use my rig for gaming, but I also like to record games with OBS or Fraps - and then I do a bit of encoding also so the added threads may help a little there.

What do you guys reckon? I don't want to do a full upgrade just yet as I don't see the point until ddr4 and X99 is out with 6 physical cores minimum - but those extra threads and possible added overclockability might just tide me over until my next overhaul.

PS : at least my benchmarks will be higher and therefore will have a larger e-peen?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It would greatly depend on the price. 100mhz isn't a very big increase and generally not cost effective.

Now, is your friend running with or without HT enabled at 4.6ghz?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes go for it, lol not just for e-peen some games will run better by default. :)

You can sell yours later or use for another system

4. thanks for the replies guys. Yep he runs with HT enabled 24/7 - and you're right, the performance difference really is negligible for sure, but if he only wants 100 or even 200NZD for it (usually about $450- 500NZD to buy new) i'd say its worth the future proofing. Right now, yeah theres not many games that utilise even a i5 quad but what i'm thinking, or hoping..is my minimum frames might increase a tad in games like bf4 and watchdogs which are very multicore/thread aware.

Worst case scenario, I might be able to record my gaming without such a massive drop in fps with some cpu time free, and encode my videos in less time.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If it can run 4.6ghz with HT enabled, go for it.

6. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Depends on the price. If it's not a super sweet deal, then not really worth it...imo.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Since you can possibly benefit from the Hyperthreading since you record your game footage and do alot of encoding go for it if the price is right.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If you can get it at a good price then yeah definitely go for it. If it's over 200 USD, then nah, you could save for something else like maybe X97 and Broadwel later on. Over 200 USD isn't worth it for the same chip with HT.