SteamOS announced by Valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Well, OpenGL is still faster than DX if you know what are you doing (pre D11 at least).
    The thing is: I don't know how Nvidia drivers/open-source implementations runs on Linux, but in my experience AMD sucks giant cocks on it. AMD never was famous by his amazing OpenGL support, lol

I hope that change in near future, god, Gaben is truly focusing in global domination. Gotta love that fat guy.

2. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    People are so scared of new things and potential change. It's hysterical

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Except what's changing here? End of the day all it is is yet another Linux Distro, ok so it's got Valves finger prints all over it but have they really announced anything here that someone who really wanted too couldn;t already do themselves? I mean build a low powered PC running a Linux Distro hooked up to a home cinema systems that when the need arises allows you to ****** content from your more powerful Windows based gaming PC.

I'll admit I haven't tried it, I have no need to but can we honestly sit here and say that we couldn't already do pretty much everything this Steam OS / Steam box combo is promising?

4. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    It's an operating system being built specifically for PC games, they aren't saying they're shutting down your traditional steam client. We have absolutely no in depth details about SteamOS.

Sit tight, take a deep breath, nobody is forcing you to change anything so there's no need to fear, you can stay comfortably in your comfort zone.
    I, on the other hand, have been waiting for a gaming OS, so I'm excited.

5. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    O = O.S
    [O] = O.S into a box
    O+O = 2.O.S = S.O.2 = SOURCE 2

Open software, Open hardware, Open coop development.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    "Will this allow games to take advantage of more cores"

No. That's a marketing scheme, the lazier they develop and less they take advantage of, the more you want to go out and upgrade.

"Due out soon"

So judging by Valve dates of past this should get a release date of 2016?

Pardon my negativity but I don't see this going anywhere. This needed to be launched ahead of the new consoles, while ps3 and 360 were old and stagnant this could have injected some life to the market. Now what you have is a decent idea that has no chance to survive behind ps4, xboxone, hell, even wii u. You introduce something like this in the middle of a cycle when things are stale, not right at the start of a new generation, this is just suicide as far as timing goes, but again, it is valve time, so maybe by the time this actually does come out ps4 and xone will be 4 years old and stale. heh.

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Well if it does come in 2016 these "current" (barely current even now) gen consoles will be ancient already and out performed by your average barely gaming description worthy PC, so the consolitis market will be already just about past its peak. Who cares I say. If this fails so be it. If it manages to open up the market even a tiny bit more, great. We'll just go with the flow~

8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I notice you didn't actually answer my question, you did deflect it by trying to place me in the scared of change, in my comfort zone group that you have clearly placed everyone and anyone who is questioning just what the purpose and point of this direction Valve have opted to pursue.

9. DrD0ctor

DrD0ctor Master Guru

GPU:
    graphics unit
    Like I said nobody is forcing you to uninstall Windows and replace it with SteamOS. Simple as that. Show Valve what you think by not installing the OS.

10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    and you're still deflecting.

Asking what the point of something is is not the same as being scared of it taking over. In fact the very concept that Valve will some how take an OS that has less than 1% market share amongst gamers (according to the Steam HW survey) and bring it up to the level of being any serious rival to Windows is not something to be afraid of it's something to laugh at and it's that very factor that adds legitimacy to the simple question you so far have failed to answer, what is the point?

By all means be excited by all means yell from the roof tops about how wonderful you think it will be but also except that a large number of people won't be excited or even interested but a number of people WILL want to know what Valve hope to achieve and to be honest don't frankly appreciate being grouped as being afraid of change just because they don't really see the point.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's not a bad idea, just a very late one.

If this happened 10, or maybe even 5 years ago it may of had a chance, but when one of the biggest selling points a PC has over any console is the huge back catalog, asking PC gamers to give that up or replace it with a lower quality str eaming service is a huge ask.

As for non PC gamers, no one is going to pick Steambox over a PS4 or Xbox or even a WiiU.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am excited about this announcement more for what the potential shakeup than for it to be a full on PC or console OS replacement.

It will force hardware vendors to rethink their investment outside of Windows or proprietary OS. I mean there is one BIG giant example out there right now: ANDROID.

SteamOS could be the Android of x86 architecture. Free OS, some/lots/tons of game support, more people will look it it, hardware vendors starts to optimize for it, in turn more applications, in turn more users, in turn more support, rinse and repeat.

There is NO loss for nearly any consumer except to the initial long term investment by Valve and contributing hardware vendors to optimize their drivers/support software to build a sizeable user base. In fact, this may be a win-win since it dumps a lot of legacy and can allow the hardcore developer to really develop a better OS standard for games -

Native 64 bit support
    Possibly better SMP efficiency than Windows
    OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL optimizations to the metal of hardware with no or less or next to none legacy bloat
    Easier portability between hardware such as PC to Mac to Consoles if all running under *nix
    Better or just more frequent updates / patches to the OS just like the beta process of gamers testing patches prior to final/stable builds

It would/could legitimize Linux into the consumers household and take a big share over time.

We have to admit it - Games drive most consumer interest, especially initially and it in turns drive hardware/gadget/software development.

Just this cycle of optimizing for gamers could bring all the other supporting applications over to SteamOS - development software, compilers, art editors, sound editors, animation software, office type applications, and etc...

But I will sit on the sidelines while SteamOS 1.0 takes it's toll on all the early adopters. This is just coming from trying Steam 1.0 with Half Life 2 at launch. I will be cheering on while gaming in Windows until 2.0. :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The problem with the Android comparison is that the main reason Android is so because of Samsung's huge marketing budget, and most Android purists I speak to hate what Samsung has done to it.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    NI - not interested

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    True as when Samsung came out with their first 2 Galaxy's, it didn't take that much from Nokia or Apple. It was until Galaxy 3, Note 1 and etc... that really kicked off Android OS and all other android phone makers. But by that time, all the hackers, rooters, and app developers have cut their teeth on android and started to produce really great apps, fixed bugs and updates to gain mass market appeal.

Same for iOS. Once the hackers got it, they produced some really great apps, fixes and updates. Rooting the iphone gain so much more hacker involvement. Same for MacOS and how it has improved into OSX.

SteamOS is open so that barrier is already gone. :D

Hence I say SteamOS 1.0 will build up a small but sizable hardcore base which will hack,contribute,add to it, then when SteamOS 2.0 launches, it may be more refined by then for mains t r e a m users to use it.

The first version won't appeal to us, outside as a toy or hacker sandbox, but it might be good enough by 2.0.

Edit -why is the word "main s t r e a m" censored?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

16. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Give me sli support and ill move. Linux uses hardware so much better then anything that MS windows does. plus MS only care for the xbox gaming.

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    How does Linux use hardware better?

As for SteamOS, to me its going to fail.

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    What? Compatibility problem?

But I have interested SteamOS. :)

19. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    the OS will probably make your PC just behave like another console - very user friendly living room/ controller interface. So Valve is giving you the ability to have a custom console. All those people wondering why Sony/ MS/ Nin/ etc. doesn't issue hardware upgrades to consoles now has an easy avenue to get the console experience with their preferred level of hardware customization. That local network ******ing is a bonus.

I don't really know how this will play out. But it feels like it'll be significant... like way more than people realize... kind of how Steam introduced people to digital distribution.

Valve isn't stupid or lazy. They've obviously been busy on stuff even though their releases as of late have been sparse.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Incremental hardware upgrades is more possible now than ever since the new consoles went with x86 but unlikely necessary until the end of it's lifespan but it won't generate the excitement and media buzz like a new console would unless they could take notes from Apple perhaps.

I think every one of us has always wanted a pure gaming OS and likely most of us has given very little thought as to what sacrifices and changes to how we currently use our desktops. Sounds awesome on paper but in reality most enthusiasts like to push back when it comes to change. If the Windows gaming experience has less issues, more games..etc then few of us would even bother. I suspect it will be quite a few years until this really takes off outside of tinkering if it ever does.