Microsoft Xbox One console shown

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well now, Microsoft's next-generation console will not be called Xbox 720 as previously speculated, instead the console will be named Xbox One. The device features an eight-core AMD Jaguar based proc...

Microsoft Xbox One console shown

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    im so glad they ditched the disc d-pad

doesn't look nice either, it's like they went back to the original xbox and tried to make it look modern. i'd prob grab the controller for pc use though.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. jack_rudolph

jack_rudolph Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB
    Is it me or the Console looks Ugly ???

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VCRs are ultra modern and sleek .. didn't you get the memo? :p

5. Yeah I cringed when I first saw the damn thing... ugh... oh well as long as it performs good enough, I suppose cosmetics don't really matter too much. I didn't think the original was much of a looker either.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Looks like a Mini-PC ^^

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    consoles these days practically are. xD

8. spex_2

spex_2 Guest

GPU:
    a
    if they really manage to get this graphics out of the new xbox or ps4, which will have approximately ~50% less power than an actual hi end pc and future pc ports will not work proper and don`t look that good, knowing that the next gen consoles have a very similar architecture. then :puke2:

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I like the design and the operating systems stuff.
    It appears that Windows Store apps will be able to run on Xbox too, which is great for developers. I'm also curious about that gaming OS - why haven't they used just modded Windows and if they had good performance-related reasons, perhaps the changes will be integrated in some next Windows version.

Also, it seems that hardware- and software-wise it should be able to support Steam, but I doubt MS would allow that.

Perhaps it'll be my 1st console, but I'm not sure. PC is still good.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm actually interested in it for a home media center device more than gaming. If the price is south of $300, then we might have a deal. At least this one looks likes it has value compared to the plain PS4.

That being said, there are some questionable design choices:

- 802.11n --> Why not 802.11ac seeing as how that will be the standard from this year on.
    -No Bluetooth?
    -No Miricast?
    -No mention of "lightroom"
    -No mention of 3D or frame doubling interpolation

11. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Look at the size of the damn thing :wanker: incredible. Well, it will sure look alright on top of a good ol VCR.. pity nobody has one anymore. Wonder why is it so large. ?Heating issues? Shouldn't have put an apu inside. CPU+GPU would be easier to cool down.But I guess Bill would miss them extra few dollars..

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For those who're not following the thread in the console section, the entire presentation condensed to a mere 1:40 minutes :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

You sure you want it? It still needs your cable box and the annual Xbox Live fee (which may or may not be revised upward) to work.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560619

13. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    Both Consoles appear to be nothing more than cut down PC's without ANY upgrade path. If they let the developers hit the hardware without all sorts of middleware between the games and hardware they might perform quite well, but I think I'll pass on both as we all know they will be about 350-400 when they first arrive and probably in small numbers as well.

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The console looks like a VCR from the early 90s, but with a fancy remote called kinnect.
    It's just big and ugly.

I was expecting that MS would show games, but insted we got 1 minute of Forza 5, 1 trailer for a Remedy game that shows no game, 5 minutes of a COD game and a whole hour talking about a remote a TV programming.

When they were speaking about the specs, they just raced through it, trying to hide them, because they know that the PS4 is considerably more powerfull.

Somehow they managed to hire some people to aplaud on demand, at every little worthless thing. Rather pathetic.

That was probably the worths console reveal I have ever seen. A complete failure by almost all measure.

A nice ramp by Angry Joe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0
    Good for a couple of laughs

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I bet they didnt include 802.11ac so a year down the line they can sell you an upgrade attachment. Light room will be at E3, and 3D will be based on what the devs want to do. Also I thought it was common knowledge that the controllers use bluetooth to connect to the console, just no pairing with other devices, unless that is another attachments they want to try and overcharge for.

16. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    I dont think its much more powerfull , just a higher GPU anyways yea i love angryjoes reviews

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The CPU is about the same, an 8 core Jaguar from AMD. It's a weak CPU, but for a game console, the focus is the graphics card.

The GPU on the PS4 has a 1.8Teraflops of processing power, but the Xbox One only has 1.2. That is a big diference, on a GPU from the same manufacturer, AMD.

One would expect that because of this, the Xbox One would be cheaper, but because they include kinnect on all of Xbox One's consoles, the price will end up being about the same as the PS4.

So the choice will be between a less powerfull console with a cool remote, or a more powerfull console, focused on games.

One thing that kills the Xbox One for me, is the used games fee policy. This is the kind of thing that harms gamers. Since you no longer can lend or borrow games, and can't sell them at a decent price because of the fee, on the long run, having an Xbox One, will become quite expensive.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ps4 for me once i get through the last of my new ish library of games and that beyond game from quantic devs.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, most of the complaints sound like they come from "hard core gamers", a group that completely doesn't represent the average consumer.

The average consumer doesn't care about the slight difference in video game quality that is only apparent in a side-by-side comparison.

What he does care about is an all-in-one media center. The PS3 sold well not because it was superior in gaming to the Xbox360, it sold well because it had Blu-Ray included.

I, and most people, if given a choice between a system that just plays games with a side addition of movies or a system that integrates me, my phone/tablet, my TV, my movies and internet into the living room; I know what most people would choose.

The new Kinect2 looks amazing. If they are able to get the input lag low enough, you can have some awesome virtual boxing games coming out (imagine that with electrodes :D ) and fitness programs.

I wasn't interested in any of the consoles up to this point, the last console I had was a PS2 that was mainly bought for the DVD player. But this Xbox One announcement actually has me very interested if they get the price right.

It also better be able to stream content over the local network.

P.S. - The reason I am disappointed of the lack of mention of Bluetooth 4.0 LE is that there are tons of fitness and sports hardware that use it to sync and update live, not to mention your phone. How awesome would it be to come back from a run and have your Xbox One pop up the results from the run including distance, calories burned, average pace, etc.

Not to mention bluetooth audio devices...

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    that is one ugly motha ****ar...