Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    So can someone please upload the bios? or is there any way around this problem "Adapter 0 Invalid PC BIOS image" Both my cards are Refs saphhires

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. La_Croato

La_Croato Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 7970
    Everything went fine with this GHz - BIOS but i noticed that GPU-Voltage
    goes up to 1,422v while gaming - maybe just a short peak.

Take a look at "VDDC":

[​IMG]

I will flash back to stock BIOS. It´s to risky for me.
    Could someone notice something like that, too?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    For Gods sake why don't you guys just use Afterburner to raise the clocks instead of begging for the mod BIOS.

Look see? I got a GHZ edition too....

[​IMG]

4. La_Croato

La_Croato Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 7970
    I don´t want any software to overclock my card or to have it at autostart. A modded Bios is for me a better solution. So i did last time with my Radeon HD 5850. That´s my opinion...

5. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
  6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    There are any negative feedbacks on the other forums? Nobody broke his card? :nerd:
    BTW, how is Power tune? Works correct?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    JHonestly Afterburner is such a small app you hardly know it's there.....

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Pill, this is a hardware forum. So chill, your opinion is valid and you've given it.

Thanks for it, now back on topic.

On topic, I'm losing my second screen when I try to play any vids on Youtube.

Looking in to what's occurring.

Ok looks like any switching from basic 2D clocks causes me to lose my second screen. Anyone else getting the same issues?

9. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    has anyone notice the voltages can differ despite the bios used be the same?
    for example, all the other that use this bios is saying the voltage increasing from 1.17v to 1.18v and boost 1.21v... my card was originally 1.12v at 925mhz and now is 1.13 at 1000mhz and 1.18v at 1050mhz despite the fact that i can do 1125 at 1.12v...

As for the question of why not use only afterburner and overclock it the answer is simple -> the boost gives you extra voltage to overclock above the 1.3v of MSIiafterburner for example if you put 1.3v in my card the boost will kick in and do 1.35 and that 0.05 is what i needed for my card be stable at 1300mhz, thats all.

10. leopr

leopr Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    Worth trying it on my ref 7970 (1275/1700 1.2v) ? I remember trying to hit 1300mhz but never got past 1285 no matter what ;(.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Mine to, i had my 7970 clocked to 1070/1575 24/7, all done by moving the sliders along in the Overdrive of the CCC, so why not just do that, and have it stay there, instead of your core going up and down all the time via a BIOS flash :p

12. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    i flashed mine plays great only thing im worried about is the amps have sky rocketed. Is this anything to worry about i just upgraded my psu but it only has 70 amps on the 12v rail [​IMG] my voltage actually went down

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    No there's not . Impossible to mod the bios of 7970 for now . ( it is possible with 7970M ( mobile version ), but not for the "desktop " cards .)

The only one who had pre-modded bios are overclockers who work closely with Brand as Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc .

The problem yet seems to be the bios signature who have not be cracked..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm giving this a shot asap, I'll report back on the events' conclusion.

Thanks very much for this link and information. Greatly appreciated.

15. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Flashed my MSI 7970 Ref. cards to this bios and all is well. Only issue I had was I switched the bios switch to #2 and it is write protected..Doh. Switched to the #1 bios on both cards and it flashed both cards with no issues. Also has anyone got any black/grey screens crashes with this bios and the 12.7 drivers? I have not got one since I have flashed to this bios using the 12.7 beta drivers.

Edit: The fans do spin up and make a little more noise at full load but it is not unbearable.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    no crashes the fan does speed up alot more but its not bad. Games are playing great can see the core boost in action with afterburner. : )

17. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Gaming and monitoring the voltage from GPU-Z:
    Low = 0.943 V
    High = 1.238
    Max temp I seen was 82c with a 25c ambient temp.
    Max fan speed 47%

2D- clocks seem off ?
    500 MHz gpu
    1500 Mhz memory

2nd GPU powered off in 2d mode clocks up in 3d mode.

3D- Turbo Boost stayed at 1050 Mhz and never down clocked, but you can see the voltage changing in the sensors tab. The temps are about 5 deg above prior to bios update at same clock speed.

Edit:
    Did some testing in Multi-monitor modes the 2d clocks are 500/1500 you go to one monitor and they return to the normal 2d clocks. I am guessing they are doing this for eyefinity. I noticed when you drag windows around in eyefinity they don't leave trails anymore.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  18. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    does anyone has voltage control? i don't have so i am gonna switch back to normal 7970

to many reasons to not use ghz edition bios (all this results are at 1050/1500 stock volts for 7970 and all stock for 7970ghz bios)
    1-> hotter 86ºc vs 81ºc (in a very hot day)
    2-> noisier 50% fan speed vs 47% (again hot day... about 32ºc ambient)
    3-> no voltage control for boost on any software available (at least for now) only controls the 1000mhz voltage
    4-> at the same speed the normal 7970 is faster because it never goes down on the clock of gpu (3dmark vantage drops 200 point on extreme only gpu score because of 86ºC making the card some times go even under 900mhz... dont know why)
    5-> more power consumption and you cant under-volt the boost clock despite my card can do 1125 at stock 1.112v

pros
    1-> faster than any stock gpu on the market to fill your ego (sort of)
    2-> better overclock at stock voltage (1200mhz vs 1150 but only because of higher stock voltage)

i am saying this just because i tested and this was what i got

concluding
    Stick with what you got if you are a real enthusiast of tweaking (while proper software for voltage control is not out) or flash it to test it yourself like i did... greetings from Portugal to all of you

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  19. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    It took along time for mine do downclock the fan was going pretty hard. From what ive read it will only downclock when it is getting hott so if you got an aftermarket cooler it may never clock down or rarely.

20. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    No aftermarket cooling just good airflow in my case Thermaltake Level 10 GT. I am guessing that is good that it is staying in turbo boost clocks! I am Liking this so far. I have not had one black screen and 100% fan all night fingers crossed. I will report any crashes or odd behavior.