Other applications control color settings vs use Nvidia settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HonoredShadow, May 11, 2013.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    A couple of Guru's recently told me to put this on Nvidia settings but did not explain why.

My monitor is calibrated correctly via the OSD. Gamma is correct as well as colours already.

In Windows colour management there is a .icc that was created by me running the Windows 'Calibrate display' but the tick box 'Use my settings for this device' is not ticked. I did not actually change anything in the 'Calibrate display' wizard any way.

So I have a few questions then.

Do I tick that box and/or use the Nvidia setting also? Or do I just use the 'application controlled' in NV driver and/or click tick box in Windows colour management.

To many combinations and I have no clue as to what is correct.

Another thing is that 'Use Nvidia settings' does not stick when restarting the PC.

Why would I use one or the other in NV panel?

Thanks for clearing any of this up. It's been bugging me a while and other Guru's could benefit greatly from the answers!

Thanks in advance,

Sy.

2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I am having the same problem. After searching the internet about it this is what i find.

1.If you want to use nvidia colors from the driver, they will work, but as soon as you restart your PC the colors will reset, and you will have to start again, and so on. This issue is from many years, and is happening only on nvidia GPU's, on AMD GPU's the desktop colors from their drivers work after restarting your PC. There is no fix for the nvidia desktop colors to remain after restarting your PC, i think they enter some how in conflict with the OS and they reset.

2. If you want to use the windows calibrate screen, the calibration will work after you restart your PC, and will work in 3D fullscreen games too. BUT if you choice calibrate your screen using the windows calibration, you will damage your windows photo viewer, basically after the calibration is finished when you open photos in windows photo viewer the photos will open very slow, and the performance will be very slow, like on a very old PC.

My conclusion is to forget about the nvidia desktop colors and the windows screen calibration because they are both broken.

Use only your mointor OSD settings.

I have a Samsung TN monitor, i have calibrated to my desire my screen, but i need just a bit lower gamma, and when i use the windows calibrate screen to lower the gamma until i am satisfied, i broke my windows photo viewer. This is a bug from Windows, and they don't want to fix it.

PS: Don't use both nvidia desktop colors, and windows screen calibration at the same time, use only one. As i said the nvidia colors reset after restart and the windows calibration broke the windows photo viewer, BUT at least they work after restarting your OS.

3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I use the Nvidia settings,and they stay as set. No problem after PC restart etc. I think it's related to drivers. As a matter of fact, I'm SURE it's drivers.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Many people have the problem with this issue. Mine don't set.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And I have noticed after switching to "Other applications..." that movies became more natural looking, my games loose veil. So I think that drivers do add some passes of color shader(s) (just like SweetFX) when setting is on "NVidia settings".

Edit: ... and all games look kinda the same in color sense.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If you use the nvidia thing, after restart you need to open the control panel and tick again the use nvidia settings to re-apply your color profile to work again, and then if you want to color profile to work on movies and games too, you need to touch the digital vibrance slider and your screen will change.

7. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    The settings from the calibration will STICK on reboot as soon as you run windows color management and assign the

"sRGB display profile w/ display hardware configuration derived from calibration" to the device (monitor) and make it default. Each time you calibrate your monitor, it creates such a profile.

In NV control panel you tick "Other applications control color settings"

EDIT:

The calibration settings also stick after reboot w/ your calibrated profile without assigning a profile to your device in color management if have "use my settings" unticked.

Color management is confusing for me, but I think it's something like that any time you do a Windows calibration it creates this profile and assigns it *automatically*. (Without you having to do anything). The problem might be if you then tick "use my settings" in color managements but by mistake use another profile or have an old profile still set as "default". Because then, after reboot, it would still take the old profile and not the one you just made with the calibration.

(For having this less confusing I just deleted all my custom color profiles and UN-CHECKED "use my settings", basically leave windows color management alone since it is my understanding that a "normal" person really does not need it. Then do a new calibration, a new "sRGBG derived from hardware" profile is automatically being created..and it definitely sticks also after reboot if NV CP is set to "other applications")

Last edited: May 13, 2013