Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Last thread now too big:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357068

Start again here.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Considering the price i paid for Windows 8 (£25), it isn't bad at all. You could say the metro UI is purely aimed at the tablet market, maybe it is. But it gives you something else other than looking at boring desktop screen. you can add news, sport to keep up to date. Add a couple of free games. Then when you need to do something PC related, you switch back to desktop mode.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    will install it on my main machine this weekend on a new SSD.
    after testing it in a VBox i learned how to get around Metro and get things done
    two things i have to solve..
    1 migratin Steam folder
    2 fix the Virtual Box ..it seems that after installing it in W 8 you get errors.like ..please enable VT...and you need to restore at a earlier time.

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    For steam I just moved the folder back to C:/Program Files/Steam etc.. where it was originally installed, downloaded steam from the website and installed it to the directory saving me hours of redownloading lol.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    strongly agree.

W8 is Best OS so far.

6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I agree with both Big and Ghostly here. It requires some adaption, but after a while it's quite easy to use. Using it on all my systems.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    It's not even really a matter of "after a while". Like i've been saying all this time... before Win8 was released, i usually installed the Consumer Preview's or the Developer Preview's and whatever they released... but that's about as far as it went... be it because i either didn't know how i felt with "Metro", or because i still had all my apps and stuff installed on a different partition with Windows 7. But once it was released, i kinda started thinking that i had a perfectly good copy of Windows Vista lying around not getting used, and said "what the hell" on the upgrade. Haven't looked back at Windows 7 since. Didn't even take a day to get used to "Metro". Actually.... can't even say that. Didn't even take a day to realize that whether you "Get used to it" or not, it's not something that i find myself using very frequently, if at all during a given day.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    finished the install and tweaking W8
    about to test some games
    until now everything seems stable and fast
    ps installed Clasic shell just in case...

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    About steam

You can move its whole folder to any disk/folder, just reinstall steam installer and pinpoint it to that moved folder, that's it.

I moved my steam from another disk or after i re-installed Windows and never had any issues like that.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    thanks -Tj-,worked like a charm.
    and all games,so far .
    amazingly enough,Virtual Box runs and runs well.i need some time to fully test all scenarios,but for now ,seems ok.
    i have to create a image for the disaster plan,and clone the instalation on a spare partition.
    more,added DataRam disk to the mix,everything is fast.
    now,i am pleased.

ps. Maybe i imagine things,but my speakers are sounding ..better.
    Idk,but seems that something improves sound quality.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Interface rage and issues aside... it is better then Windows 7.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I reinstalled Win7 last weekend.....will be back on Win8 in the next couple days....

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have broken Windows 8 four times now since it's retail release.. hohohoho..

All my fault though..

OTL

14. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Ran it for about a week, really dug deep into it. The good: it's crazy fast! The bad: the interface is a ridiculous bi-polar beta-feeling mess.

All in all, i had to go back to 7. It's zippy enough on my rig and i don't feel like being brainwashed and pressured into nonsense dumbed-down "Apps"... i have a kindle fire for those and it does them just fine thanks. The whole thing just felt like an insult to itself.... as the OS underneath seems to be so slick... a shame.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    ja I broke it many times. and the interface is ugly, even tried hacked themes, but still not as good as windows 7 interface.

I understand they wanted to make everything the same for tablet and pc, but they shouldnt have changed the interface.

what happened to asking people what they thought.

I actually cant decide which system I want to use, I go back and forth between windows 7 and windows 8.

16. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Its really simple, if you cant make up your mind, stick with windows 7, it has far less compatibility issues and really 0 benefit from switching to windows 8, that includes the biased boot times and gaming performance.
    I have bought win8 pro, havent used ever since i bought it as i already had experience with it and im by no means interested into a win phone 8 interface running on my x64 desktop with compatibility issues, i rather stick to a working proven OS, the good news for me as a programmer is that the adoption of windows 8 is so small that it wont matter if i skip it entirely, 2.26% is nothing compared to 44.48% of win7.
    As for win8 beying the new win vista, thats a very good possibility as vista has a 5.24% userbase, which in other words means, it is more than twice as used as win8.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i wouldn't waste my time naggging about Windows 8.
    Any operating sistem has its own quirks,and people are very hard to please nowadays.
    fixing computers,it is my ''duty'' to deal with Windows 8,sooner or later i will have to give solutions,so better to be prepared.
    more to it,each time a OS is released,camps divide and argue about it,nothing really new.
    progress,in its various forms,meets resistance.
    at the end of the day,we shut down our machines and it doesn't really matter what OS was running.
    productivity can be achieved in many ways,and for each task ahead,a suitable OS is found.
    compare,try,learn and spread the tips.

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I did notice something else. it seems the refresh bug in windows explorer seems to be fix in windows 8. that files size change show without having to hit F5

I maybe late on this discovery

19. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    How were you able to reproduce this bug? i changed a txt file and saved it without refreshing the windows explorer (win7x64) and it still updated its changed size.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Legendary: Yet again you seem to only prove that you base your entire opinion on Windows 8 on the fact that you've never used it. "Oh... i don't want to use it, especially when the market share is so low". How many f*cking copies of Windows 8 are you expecting them to sell worldwide instantaneously? Windows 7 was still below a 10% market share 6 months after it's release. Yes, Windows 7 has 44% market share... but i'd sure as hell HOPE it would after 3.25 years of being on the market. Probably the main reason Windows Vista's market share is so low at this point is because if i remember correctly, they also had a quite cheap upgrade offer for Windows 7 when it first came out. As far as i'm aware, Windows 7's market share didn't pass Windows XP's until this past August.

I'm really just getting bored with reading what you post. No interest in a Windows Phone 8 interface? I'm sorry.... but this doesn't look like any phone to me...

[​IMG]

You say it's a Windows Phone 8 interface.... anyone looking to gather their own opinion through USE of the OS, says it's Windows with a full-screen start menu. You only have to see it as often as you use your standard Start Menu... which, i seriously don't see you clicking that every minute or two.

Compatibility issues? I'm sorry... i must have been distracted by my desktop running 24/7 without a single hiccup. And.... now that i think about it.... i don't recall having an issue with my Auzentech Prelude audio output dropping out after a pop and hiss fit ever since i started using Windows 8. Even if i had a movie paused in PowerDVD or Windows Media Center, and was watching a different video clip on Youtube or something like that, which almost ALWAYS resulted in me having to switch audio modes in the Auzentech Control Panel in order to get sound back.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013