Diablo 3 - nVIDIA Inspector, nVIDIA Control Panel and you

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RamGuy, May 14, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I see the sparse grid supersampling and the regualr supersampling. Which one of those should I use? Also, do I need to enable to Transparancy Multisampling as well?

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been playing Diablo III with 4xMSAA/4xTrSSAA, 16xAF and Ambient Occlusion (the latter makes a huge difference to the game as it looks less washed out and 'flat') at 1920x1200 with the in-game anti-aliasing enabled. The game is extremely laggy/juddery though. So I set AF to application controlled and the game felt much smoother but still lagged and jerked when lots of enemies/effects are on screen.

The game runs at 60 fps even when it lags/judders so I'm not sure whether it's the settings I'm using or the server/engine streaming. I'll test tonight with just AO forced.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    SGSSAA is generally considered to be better as it removes jaggies more effectively but it blurs the textures somewhat unless you set a negative texture LOD. In order for SGSSAA to work, you also need to force at least 2xMSAA as well. Transparency Multisampling does not need to be enabled for SGSSAA and TrSSAA to work (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Ok. I think I got it. :nerd:

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Great comparison shots. I can see there that SGSAA offers by far the best anti-aliasing at the cost of a slightly softer-looking image.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Agreed. I can deal with that. .

8. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    how do you 2880x1620 @ 1920x1080 (DS) ??

Never figured this out! thanks in advance :)

9. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    DS = Downsampling.

just add a new custom resolution via NVCP, leave timings on auto.
    also its suggested to set scaling on GPU (instead of display) in the scaling section.
    choose the new resolution in any game, as simple as that.

if auto timings don't work for you, check the downsampling guide in this forum.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No the difference is is TrSSAA is applied ONLY to Alpha tested objects like 2d sprites, vegetation, transparencies.

SGSSAA (Real name FSSGSSAA: Full Scene Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti Aliasing) Processes the whole scene (the frame) as a whole. And that's why it tends to blur more.

How about some comparisons with in game FSSAA?
    Honestly from what i've seen, it works pretty damn well and it doesn't blur much at all. And perf cost I saw was very little (on a CPU bottlenecked PC)

Last edited: May 18, 2012

11. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    in game AA is a post processing "effect". it tampers with the already rendered frame.
    while it may look fine on screenshot, you can easily spot aliasing in movement. IMO it also introduce more blurring than SGSSAA.

SGSSAA on the other hand is "rendering multiple times to several offscreen intermediate buffers, each time it applies an offset to the sample coordinates in a different direction. Then it resolves (blends) the buffers post-processing."
    although it can somewhat soften the image, you get way better image quality than post process (FXAA/MLAA), both in movement and stills.

this time no AO:

no AA

ingame AA

4xSGSSAA

12. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    EDIT: it's working now, forgot to set it to override :)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I like the way the mod improves the texture quality but, unfortunately, when I tried it it also oversharpened the text making it look like I was using a composite lead!!!

I find forcing 4xMSAA/2xTrSSAA, 16xAF and setting Ambient Occlusion to Performance (Quality, unfortunately, makes the game stutter badly) in the driver and disabling the in-game (FXAA) Anti-aliasing gives the best overall image quality. It also gets rid of the texture blurring.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I had to revert back to the Diablo 3 default settings.

I experienced horrible stuttering/hickups. Not as as in framerate issues but the screen freezing for like a fraction of a second. A bit like Lag.

Now i went back to the ingame AA and the issue is gone. I guess you can't override the settings by default for a reason ;)

16. PcChip

PcChip Member

GPU:
    GTX680 @ 1197 MHz
    I've been playing with all these settings as well in NVidia Inspector with my GTX680. I've come to the conclusion that with the current AA Compatibility bits I'm using (0x004412C1) , the characters are getting AntiAliased against themselves, but not against the background (they must be rendered in offscreen buffers seperately from the environment)

Perhaps someone will find a better compatibility bit to make forced MSAA work better?

Also, I've been switching out between 2xMSAA+2xSGSSAA and 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA depending on my mood, I have two questions:
    1.) adjusting the LOD from between 0 and -3.000 doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever, any thoughts?
    2.) It's a bit blurry (yet nice and smooth), and after reading the description of how this mode works I understand why this is. However, isn't there simply a way to force the game to render to a double-size buffer and simply downscale it to the screen? Like REAL supersampling? Coming from a 7970 it was quite easy to force this, and the resulting image was clean crisp and sharp, and wonderfully smooth edges. It's a bit dissapointing to play with a blurred image on my GTX680... any ideas?

I've tried the downsampling ideas, but every time I try to make a custom resolution, when I click "TEST" I only get a red screen, nothing works.

17. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    "REAL" supersampling can be selected via NV inspector (was also available with the ancient nHancer) - just set "Antialiasing - setting" to one of the "XxX Supersampling (D3D Only)" modes (leave transparency supersampling off).
    you can also check the combined modes...

however, in Diablo 3, using mentioned AA flag, there are some graphical glitches (e.g: character shadow cast on top of some light effects far away, etc..)
    it has no blurring, its the best AA mode available quality wise, but we need another compatibility flag for it to be practical.

btw, using driver 301.34 I can easily downscale up to 1620p, with auto timings.
    I remember earlier drivers wouldn't allow more than 1440p for my gtx680.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I currently just use the NCP and have selected to enhance the application setting with 2x msaa works just as good.

And the hickups that were caused by the inspector settings are gone aswell.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I prefer fxaa until someone finds a well working hex value that allows super sampling.
    Sparse grid looks way to washed out, more than the games fxaa.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Last edited: May 22, 2012