It's just crysis 1 that doesn't like my OC? WTF?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by vitortheone, Jul 27, 2013.

1. vitortheone

vitortheone Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    So i've been testing my brand new 7970 that you guy's have recommended me a couple mouths back, and so far i've been good. Have it with a mild OC at 1050/1500 (from stock 925/1375) and so far only crysis 1 has been giving me problems, when i recently decided to play it again. With this OC i run bf3 on max settings for long play sessions (8 hours+) crysis 3, both uniengine heaven and valley, civ 5 and everything i throw at her, even furmark. But crysis 1 starts to give artifacts near the water, and then sometimes the pc reboots. If i use 925/1375 all is well. No artifacts, no reboot. I can just use stock setings for only this game game no prob, but find it strange that only crysis 1 is giving me trouble, and crysis 3 is not....
    So i just thoght i stopped by here to tell you guy's how everything is going, and share this little curiosity. Have any of you guy's had a similar issue?
    Thx's in advance gurus!:)

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You arent stable if you get artifacts in crysis. Its a different engine and is still pretty stringent for systems.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    some games will crash while some will not. I have to lower my vram oc for borderlands 2, otherwise it'll freeze. other games I can play for hours, no problem.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What's your ASIC quality (use GPU-Z), stock voltage, and what is power limiter at?

What are your temps in Crysis (Core + VRM temps)?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I get flashing squares in FC3 from vram overclock. Any other game it's fine.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Same here I got flashing squares in The Witcher 2, Crysis 3, GRID 2, and Metro LL I found out it was my core overclock not my memory. My memory is happy sitting at 1650MHz no problems. I was pushing my core clock to 1200MHz and this is what was generating flashing squares and I also think I was pushing too much voltages through it. I was using 1.2v where as with a little testing and an hour in kombuster I got my voltage down to 1.138v and its stable at 1150/1650 no problem. Not a single hitch at all, I thought I had a problem when playing BF3 as textures on walls when blown up in the game the after math was blinking/overlapping and I thought it was my GPU again but it turns out it was the game it self and not the overclock.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. vitortheone

vitortheone Guest

GPU:
    ASIC is 68% stock voltage jumps between 1.134/1.165 tried with power limit at 0%, 10% and 20%.
    Core temps never passed 65cº (the highest i've seen them was 70 Cº on bf3 after manny hours of play)
    Vrm temps are 25cº

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    25c on the vram when playing games? Use GPU-Z and create a log file, disabled everything other than GPU temp, and VRAM1 and 2 temps and have it update every second. Make the log file save to the desktop for easy access then play a game for at least half and hour to fourty-five minutes. Then exit and check the log file.

9. vitortheone

vitortheone Guest

GPU:
    the thing is my oc i kinda low compared to yours... and i run crysis 3 and bf3 fine no artifacts... it's just crysis 1 that did this.
    But just now when i was monitoring the temps for you guy's i played around for 10 mins with the overclocking and no probs. Is it driver related? Memory leak maybe? 4 hours ago i would take only one minute, and started artifacting near the water

10. vitortheone

vitortheone Guest

GPU:
    yeah i've logged it to a file using gpu-z. the only thing i didn't do was play for a long time. Just 10 min. Don't have time to play right now, but will do it as soon as i can and report to you guy's

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    25C on the VRM? Impossible. I'd follow that one closely.

Keep power limiter at +20%. You can also add a couple of lines to MSI Afterburner's cfg file to provide realtime voltage readout rather than set voltage on the ChiL CHL8228G controller (used in the 79xx cards), but I don't remember the lines currently.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap agree, its one thing saying that "With my PC i can play Crysis for 17hrs and be fully stable at my Overclock" even though its possible to fail true stability tests.

@Op all i can advise is get back to basics.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My pc is stable in all conditions. If your stable in game x for 24 hours straight but get corruption in game y you are not truly stable.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap agree, its one thing saying that "With my PC i can play Crysis for 17hrs and be fully stable at my Overclock" even though its possible to fail true stability tests.

@Op all i can advise is get your ass back to basics, Run your gpu at stock and see how it goes in Crysis. If it works ok then your previous Oc is unstable or your cooling is not good enough for the Oc that your trying to achieve stability with.

So you either find a happy medium on oc and stability or...
    Improve your cooling which will help oc and stability or...
    both.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you sure? I found my squares were from too much vram voltage. Anything over 1.55v would make them appear.

As soon as I dropped the voltage they disappeared again but then I risk the game locking up due to low vram volts.

Just something to think about if you get any more artifacts....GDDR5 is quite sensitive to heat.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Op I would bet it's your vram overclock. Lower it to say 1400 and try again.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    ASIC 68% i very low. It means GPU has a lot of current leakages. GPU requires higher voltage to be stable and make more heat.
    As for Core temp. It's OK, try not to OC, or increase voltage way that you have temp over 80°C.

GPU-Z is for sure reading your VRM temperature wrongly. Even it you had ASIC 99% and your board had 4times more VRMs than standard. Their temp would still be no less than your GPU.

Get readings from HWiNFO64. It has very advanced capabilities in this matter.

18. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I have my videocard mildly overclocked, wont go much further either. 1125/1525.
    Well, the memory will go further but it will generate much more heat and wont score me any exra significant points in games and benches.

So with crysis 3 my previous 6950 unlocked I had black screen crashes with any oc, even 1Mhz would crash it. At default though, and power slider at max it ran great. Clock on that card are 880/1300, it's the toxic version.
    Same with my current card, any oc and crysis 3 crashes. At default clocks it runs perfect. I don't see my clocks go down either, a solid 1100/1500 all the way. With the power slider at 20% ofcourse.
    It's only crysis 3 that does this. FC3, grid2 etc all run fine maxed out and slightly overclocked.

Can't tell for crysis 1 or 2 though. To me it seems like there is something in the game that makes the screen go black with any change in default clocks. It takes about a minute or so before it kicks in.

19. vitortheone

vitortheone Guest

GPU:
    Thx's will try with the readings from that app, and go back to stock clocks for crysis 1. Been playing all day BF3 with no probs. Fired crysis 1, 45 mins into the game the pc rebooted...

20. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I was running at 1049mv for a long time, seemed stable in games such as BF3, Serious Sam 3 and would pass 3DMark/Heaven all day long. Give it Crysis/2/3 and it would lock up. Just bumping the voltage a little seemed to fix it.