Copy protection penalising legit owner!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sketch_Dude, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketch_Dude

Sketch_Dude New Member

GPU:
    Gainward/7800GS+/512Mb
    I've just purchased half-life 2 after waiting for the hype to die down so as to get it cheaper.

I cannot play this game on my gaming rig as I require an internet connection for this steam bull****. The PC I use for the internet is located downstairs and is a basic machine for just that - web browsing. How can I get this game to work on my gaming rig which for my own reasons is stand alone disconnected from the outside world.

It seems to me that game developers are alienating game players when the truth is most of us with reasonable machines to able to play these games in the 1st place do in fact purchase legit copies of games. personally speaking I prefer the box, manuals and the original disc.

To be prevented from playing this game after buying it fair and square is a bloody outrage!!

2. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well I am affraid more game companies are leaning that way nowadays. It is stupid but it works.

3. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    Check www.steampowered.com. I remember reading a way to do it by I don't remember how, or where I saw it.

4. skyln

skyln Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX
    I'm pretty sure if you head over to www.steampowered.com you can find something. If not, send them a support ticket. They usually come back with an answer in a few days.

You could always buy a wireless router and and a wireless PCI card or USB and get some internet flowin.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005

5. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    You allready have Internet connection. How hard is it to hook up the PC for 10 minutes or so (then you can chose "offline mode" and play without NET once you validate the game).

6. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

... networking works as well...

7. keikdasneek

keikdasneek Guest

yeah steam is gay for that one.

8. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Welcome to LAST YEAR. Were you living under a rock? On a secluded island somewhere? This has been known for the beter part of a year now and still people still buy the game ignoring the fact that IT REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTION. It says so on the box, in the forums (all of them, everywhere), it comes up in all the search engines, and it is not an UNKNOWN issue. If you still, after all the ranting, b*tching, whining, and crying, go out and buy this game thinking it doesn't need an internet connection, you deserve not to be able to play it.

All the warnings are there. They have been screamed from every hill and mountain. You for what ever reason ignored them. Your loss. BOO HOO.

9. FirePhoenixCtk

FirePhoenixCtk Active Member

GPU:
    X1900xt 512mb
    well maybe some of us didnt follow the hl2 hype. I didnt, i dont know what major bugs if any there are in the game. Some of us just dont follow all the hype.

10. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Ok, here is my idea to validate and play the game without internet connection. But, you will need a DVD writer. (Its all legit!)
    Install steam and HL2 on the PC that has the internet. Load up steam, then validate the game. Let it update the lot (will take a loooot of time as there are stuff to update.)
    Then right click the HL2 entry in the steam "Games" section. Choose "Back up game files".
    Then put the DVD in, and burn the stuff. Then go to your gaming rig, install steam, don't use the HL2 disc, but use the DVD you burned instead.

Oh, and to the rest, nice going guys, helping him and all.

11. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    I think it's funny how if you buy it legit, and don't have a pretty fast Internet connection, you get punished. But it's possible to get the illegal Crack for it. And it'll work. Although I did hear that when HL2 came out, it was the longest game ever to crack to date.

12. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    He doesn't need a crack for it! Don't get the thread closed...

13. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    No, I wasn't telling him to get one, I was just saying the people who buy the software get punished and those who Steal it, seem to Have it easier. Untill They get slapped in the face with a large law suit.

14. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    It has always been established that HL2 requires and internet connection. Everything about Steam is internet based. Buy a massive cat5e cable and use that. I have a 100' one.

15. Sketch_Dude

Sketch_Dude New Member

GPU:
    Gainward/7800GS+/512Mb
    Long cable is the go!!

Yeah, I think the long cable could be the go here - thanks to all for your advice and tips except Sprecker who has a major attitude issue!!

Yeah I do live on a deserted island d$#khead and so f$#king what, it's called Australia - AND??

Chill buddy!!

16. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Best of luck to ya. Have fun playing it unless u run into problems like me then the game is a pain in a$$ to play.

17. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    I was gonna comment but the others already beat me to it :) Guess you were one of the guys who thought, "it wouldn't happen to me" :p

Why not use the small PC as a router and connect it to your PC. Atleast you'll get updated easily that way ^_^

Actually, it got cracked before Day 2 was up after it was released. CS:Source was already cracked months before so they already had practice :p

18. alebaba

alebaba Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 gt with t240hd 24
    I think the longest uncrack game is "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory"... Well, it still hasnt been crack yet(fully), and how long have the game been out 0.o?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  19. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    It's been spammed everywhere that HL2 requires steam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.