FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    To make a long story short, it was a freak accident with LN2 . if you want the full story, I have a thread started in the General Hardware sub form about it.

So far I don't have a single complaint with this rig. It does the exact same thing that my Intel rig did. It plays my games the way I want it too. I've had it for a while now and mainly used it for backup purposes. But now it has a full time job.

2. iafro89

iafro89 Member Guru

GPU:
    7900XT
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can we make this the 8350 AND 8320 thread please, and Hallryu can you add my OC to your list....?

Thx

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Why not just make it a general FX Processor thread? Just separate the list by model. :nerd:

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Ok guys I'll sort it. :thumbup:

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just noticed this from OP:

18662 - now that's some fast ram....

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Hey! That was a direct lift from AMD! :)

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    is there at all any differences between the 8350 and the 8320 besides having a higher multiplier and a higher price point? can one take alittle more oc then the other and such. getting ready to pull the trigger... but if i can save afew bucks ill get the 8320 if there are no differences at all.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No difference.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    did a run with new 3dmark dropped my FX overclock to 4400 due to log burner making the room to hot

ICE Storm
    Score 113054
    Graphics Score 201082
    Physics Score 44647

Cloud Gate
    Score 18041
    Graphics Score 39171
    Physics Score 6247

Fire Strike
    Score5074
    Graphics Score 5626
    Physics Score 8226
    Combined Score 2196

http://www.3dmark.com/is/10890

11. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Very happy to see this on Guru3d. I've been combing another "83XX" club on another forum. I'm interested to see how my fellow guru's are making out with overclocking these beasts of a chip. And looking forward to learning a thing or two.

Here's my latest stable OC. I can't seem to go any higher without throwing at least 1.5v at it. And that causes too much heat. Even with a Corsair H80i.

[​IMG]

And first run with 3dmark.

[​IMG]

Funny that it's showing my GPU core clock at 705MHz when infact the max speed is 1163MHz according to AfterBurner.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  12. Killswitch79

Killswitch79 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7970 3GB
    Nice to see this! The AMD FX series isn't too popular in another forum I'm in. Not that they don't like them, just not a lot of people own them. Seems to be quite a few around here. I'll post a screenshot of my OC when I get home.

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super

Guru3d forum is a place of commen sense we know the FX8350 is not the fastest but it definately got some good points if you already have an AM3 setup its the most cost effective option
    to be honest its nice to see AMD CPU's getting talked about again for a while it was all about Intel

14. 4chmob

4chmob Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 7950 Double D
    just ordered AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Now I cannot wait for it to arrive!!

good choice>?

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Yes mate. Price/ performance is very nice.

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i am really pleased with my FX8350 is a very nice upgrade from a X4 955 @3.6 all my games are playing really well,no regrets

17. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I have one more noobish question guys..

Ram, I know it supports up to 1866Mhz, So the question is if i get 2133 or 2400mhz that wont work at all, or the speed wont work it will just down it to 1866.. Not sure how that works, cause i have my ram oced to 2100mhz and its just fine... :stewpid:

I was going to go with intel, but then saw this motherboard online. Iv always wanted it and for some stupid reason i came across it at a stupid price that i couldnt say no.. I was just going to have it just for my 1055t and get haswell when it comes out.. But now I just cant get myself to go that way.. I can get the fx8320 for a stupid cheap price and its darn near as fast or faster in some cases then a I5.

Now here is the kicker.. I can buy this processor and when steamroller comes out i can feel all warm and fuzzy about just going and buying that cpu. I'll get even more gains (10~15%), and then get the processor that comes out after that and not care because i know that this board will support all the FX's coming out. or so iv been told it will. Also It will be a cheap upgrade only 180~200 bucks.... Anyways If you buy an Intel, its more expensive for one and for the other you always have to be updating your mobo too because its sockets are changing every other year.. So maybe I'll switch to intel when the am3+ socket is discontinued and they switch over to a whole new system.. Untill then i just, hmm, I just cant think of a reason why I would buy a whole new motherboard and cpu to have close to the same performance... I know people say Its faster and uses less power.. When in all reality its damn close in performance. Im not going to be rendering or compiling data.. Games and mixing music and just regular everyday stuff. When im not using the pc its off.. So its not wasting power lol...

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Running 4ghz on stock cooler. The cooler does make TONS of noise.

Are there any people who have Corsair H100i with fx-8320 or fx8350?
    I wish i bought the 8350 instead, it was only a little bit more.

19. Jerrix05

Jerrix05 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Hello gurus! This has been a decision-in-the-making for me over the past few months. With income tax coming to me soon, I've decided one of the biggest upgrades available to me is a new Mobo, RAM and CPU. Deffinitely looking forward to purchasing my own FX 8350 in the next month. I was wondering, however, what mobo the gurus would recommend. I would say my budget (for the mobo) is up to about $150. Any recommendations with links? I would really prefer to make a wise decision.

My current rig is in my stats, everything except the Mobo, Ram and CPU will be rebuilt onto the FX board. Thanks ahead of time for the help! :)

20. Killswitch79

Killswitch79 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7970 3GB
    I see others here are getting similar clock speeds at lower voltages so I'm going to trim it down a tad and see if mine still stays stable under Prime95.

But for now.... 4.8 jigga-watts at 1.5V!! haha

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013