Guru 3D SLI Users Guide (Part #2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Mindfold

Mindfold Active Member

GPU:
    Dual 6800 Ultra's 512mb PCIE
    Got a couple of questions. Is it better to just use the SLI predefined profiles on official SLI games? I tried that but i seem to get better performance on any game with force split frame rendering.Not sure if each one is better than the other.Also can you really make SLI profiles for non profile games? Tried tha ton Command and Conquer 3 but had no luck. Game doesnt like SLI

2. LabShark

LabShark Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Pretty much the answer to your questions is.......it does seem to depend upon the game. Some games (like NASCAR 2003) run much better with a single card setting.....especially at higher resolutions and AA.

Yes - you can make custom profiles, but the results will vary. TW 2007 for example shows no difference with SLI.

Some games to prefer slit and some alternate. Messing around with the settings is a nice way to get what you want.

Cheers! :D

3. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Mindfold , I remeber playing CnC3 with a SLI profile ,
    I think it did help a bit , I dont remember clearly since I'm constantly trying out different drivers...
    As far as I can remember SFR worked better then AFR on the game !

But I'd still like to know what the best settings are for the game...

4. ediflorianus

ediflorianus Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD7550 2G DDR3
    It's time for new Card's I had my play with ultras, one of them wil be sold (Lended with money to a friend) and the wathercooled Gainward wil go in the box unde my Bed

so, i'm ordering card's from US (I have a friend there)
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html
    I am realy Soked that the diference bitween 2x8800GTS and 2x7900GTX is so litle , and that 1x8800GTS price = 2x7900GTX ...
    so wath do you al recomand ?

2x7900GTX
    2x7800GTX 512
    2x8800GTS 640
    1x8800GTX
    or stay with the 6800Ultra

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    A quick question , how much of a speed penalty is it to have 2 8x slot instead of 2 full 16x for 2 8800GTX SLI , im planning to buy this board 650 but SLI works at 2x 8x instead of 2x 16x like in the 680i chipset?

What you guys think of this board: Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4 650i SLI for a pair of 2 8800GTX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128044

6. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    I honestly think there would be a drag effect with two 8x over a 16x PCI-E lane...

By drag I mean , like running a game on low refresh rate..
    Dont know if every one else would agree but that's what I've noticed..

Though that was with my older cards...
    So I suspect it might be a bottle neck for two 8800GTX's !
    By bottle neck I mean , even though ur games might get great FPS , U'd suffer from a low response time type feel/drag effect !
    Some people dont even notice it..
    Cant say how much a cap it might be inturms of FPS with two 8800GTX..

But nothing major generally speaking !

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In other words it is not recommended for 2 GTX a 650i chipset. I might think about it and see if i buy a 680i. Thanks for your suggestion and opinnion.
    Good Day.

8. ediflorianus

ediflorianus Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD7550 2G DDR3
    5 % diference betwen 2 GTX on 16 lens and 2 on 32 lens (i wold definitly go with the chep one) but for the future is bether 680i SLi ... bicouse grafikcards eat more and more bandwidth

9. drutort

drutort Active Member

GPU:
    AMD FirePro V5900
    i have a question... this hasnt been talked about and i dont know how it works... but back in agp days you could o/c the agp as well... now almost all cards have independent control... so nobody bothers with o/c like the pci-e even though there is quite a range... now would this do any good at all for sli? since some of us have only the ability of 8x and not 16x? this would be of a good test... and what "safe" values would be recommended?

If this is possible at all?

10. roofio86

roofio86 New Member

Is it possibe to run SLi 8800 GTX with only one PCI-X, so basically one of the card is completely connected up via molex connectors?

11. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:

OCing the PCI-E lane , results in poor performance or a degrade in performance !
    U can try it out...but its a waste of time every time I've given it a shot !

No wayYy !

12. LBC|Jester

LBC|Jester New Member

GPU:
    EVGA / XFX 8800GT
    Hi, Im looking to get another 8800GTS 640 in about a week or two and was wondering what kind of performace increase I can expect?

Also will the 640MB of memory on both cards be utilized?

Will be using SLi on 1920x1200 resolution. Just trying to do homework ahead of purchase. Thanks for input!

13. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Well first of all , you should expect a major or noticable reduction in your average minimum FPS.
    Secondly my general understanding is that what your Single card does @ 1600x1200 is achievable for a SLI set @ a resolution higher or even more !

Some games gain 30% more performance , some gain 40 to 50% more...
    But the least U can gain is around 15% !
    I could be a bit wrong with numbers but it'll be a great boost non the less..

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  14. roofio86

roofio86 New Member

I just got a new 1000w PSU, thermatake toughpower thinking this would solve all my SLi probs but when I run 3DMark06 with split frame, I get the following:

http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=slidz8.jpg

and in AFR1 I get half of my normal FPS

and AFR2 I get the same FPS as with a single GPU...

Is this normal?

15. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    So assume your using two 800GTX's , correct !

Could you please give more details , about your cards , drivers and all the other things you've tried to do for solving this problem.

Dont mess around with AFR or SFR , messing around with driver settings does cause trouble most of the time..
    Sometimes settings stay messed even after your delete custom profiles.

So make sure all your systems drivers are upto date and try making sure you've connect the power cables to your cards and your motherboard properly..

Use driver cleaner to remove your current drivers. Try a different set of drivers but make sure you dont play around with AFR or SFR this time...

To remove system drivers , go to device manager through safe mode..
    uninstalled drivers from both your cards...
    Reboot , safe mode , driver cleaner , clear 'Nvidia' .

Plus make sure your chip set drivers are all upto date..
    Check your motherboard manual for extra power connections on your board for extra SLI juice. (Auxillary Power For Graphics)

16. pman6

pman6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GT SLI 1GB DDR3
    SLI with G71 cores

Hey Guru's,

I was wondering if a BFG 7950GT 512 would run in SLI with my BFG

7950GX2 since they are all G71 cores. Any opinions are welcome. If not I

will wait for the 9XXX Series of cards.

Thanks,

pman6:ying:

17. pman6

pman6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GT SLI 1GB DDR3
    :ying: BUMP!!

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  18. pman6

pman6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GT SLI 1GB DDR3
    Bumpity bump!

19. Waylander

Waylander Guest

My understanding (having read other posts on the subject) is that although both cards will be using all their vram, because of the way sli works, ie both cards need to have the same info in ram to work correctly, the total texture memory avail to games is only 1 cards worth. ie 768mb for me, the benefit comes from the additional gpu processing power...

20. drutort

drutort Active Member

GPU:
    AMD FirePro V5900
    that cant be true, yes maybe general info but if each card is rendering different frames ie alternating then they cant have the same data in ram... they must use there own data? doesnt it make sense this way?