Battlefield 4 Recoil Stutter On NVidia Hardware

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MechWarrior, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    Hi everyone I would just like to bring some attention to a bug that effect not only battlefield 4 but BF3 and MOHW as well.

First let me list specs:
    i7 3960X @ 4.8GHz
    16GB DDR3 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI
    Windows 7 64bit

The issue is that whenever I fire a weapon in the game the game sort of stutters for a second while the weapon settles down during the recoil animation. Fraps doesn't register anything (I play with vsync on so my fps is always capped to 60). Now before you say its a problem with my system. There are many other people that experienced this in BF3 and I'm sure there probably still experiencing it now in BF4.

Here are some other threads about the issue...

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654490198831054/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

It seems this mainly affects nvidia users. The only way I have found to get rid of it is to limit the game to 30 fps. It seems like the reloading and recoil animation are stuck at 30fps or something.

To reproduce this go in to the game and set vsync to on. Then change the games settings so that you can mantain 60fps if neccesary. Now go to someplace quite and aim at a wall, start side strafing left or right and fire the gun as your strafing until you empty the clip (Keep strafing during the recoil/reload animation). Its kind of hard to notice if your not used to it but as you empty the clip and the gun settles and the reload animation starts you should notice the stutter I am talking about. It is most apparent if you look at the debris/particles coming from where your bullets are impacing the wall. The effect is more noticeable with motion blur enabled, so I suggest turning it to %100, and the stutter I am talking about becomes even more apparent. I would use the starting engineer gun (the one that looks like an ump-45, MXR4 I think its called) as the problem is easier to notice since the gun has the highest recoil out of the starting weapons.

This problem has been around for a while, I've seen it on every nvidia system I have played on. I've tried in the past to contact NVidia and EA about this to no avail. The point of this post is just to raise awareness and see if I can get anyone else with NVidia cards to confirm this. I will admit it is much less noticeable in BF4 and MOH, than it is in BF3 but it is still there none the less. Between me and all the posters in the thread I posted above, alot of different things have been tried to fix this to no avail.

Anyways if anyone is willing to do my little experiment and report back, that would be awesome. Especially windows 8 users, I am really interested to know if the problem exists in Windows 8 as well.

I would have posted this in the BF4 thread but this issue also affects other games so I figured it deserved its own thread. I posted this on the BF4 forums also but no one has responded.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've played many many hours of BF3 and just got done playing about 4 hours of BF4 and have never encountered this issue.

3. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Not seeing it either. Been pretty amazed at how well the game has played and look so far.

4. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    That's interesting, although to be honest all of the other nvidia users I have that I have talked to that had this problem had gtx 5 series cards and higher.

Also does the game keep a constant 60 fps for you? And do you use vsync.

Edit:
    Also curios what OS you guys are using?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

5. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I'm running Windows 8.1 with the most recent R331.65 driver. Everything on Ultra except AA at 2x MSAA with the Vsync set to Adaptive in the Control Panel to handle any screen tearing. Pretty much stays around 60 fps @ 1080p.

I was a bit concerned about the 680GTX 2GB before hand but its done surprisingly well.

6. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, I just tried windowws 8.1 and while the game runs better than it did on win 7, the issue I'm talking about still remains.

I know many other people have this problem, so its not only me. Every other game on my system runs fine. I just don't get it.

7. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    Win7 64bits GTX680 w/ latest driver - No problem here. The BF4 run smooth on Ultra w/ Motion Blur Off (cuz motion blur sux), and v-sync off.

8. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    I just don't get it. Is it possible you guys just aren't noticing it. Because its almost impossible to notice if you fight the recoil with the mouse. Its really only noticeable when you fire a whole clip without fighting the gun recoil.

Edit:

Odly enought it doesn't happen with a bipod. It seems directly tied to the amount of recoil.

Also maybe stutter is the wrong word to describe this. Its more like the game drops from 60fps down to 30fps for a split second when the gun is settling down from recoil (like I said before though, you cannot fight the recoil with the mouse or else it becomes impossible to notice.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  9. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    Did you make some change in the Nvidia Setting? Did you have triple buffering on? I noticed in skyrim, if I were to have AA on the game "ON", and misc setting on Nvidia Control Panel, stutter like you mention exist. May want to check your Nvidia Control Panel setting for conflict. Also, I play with V-Sync Off, so, that's probably why is not demanding my GPU as much.

10. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders

11. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    Glad you posted that. Like I said it seems to be a pretty widespread problem amongst the people I talk to with NVidia hardware. I actually PMed manuelg and he said he would have the driver QA team take a look. So at least there is some progress.

Here is a post I made on the NVidia forums with a list of other threads about the issue and a 60FPS video I took of the issue.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...tlefield-4-recoil-stutter-on-nvidia-hardware/

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I never had this in MOH or BF3. I MIGHT have it in BF4 because I seem to die MUCH more often and faster in this game and it often happend that I see the enemy, start shooting and before hitting anything I'm already dead, like instantly. It feels like there is a slight stutter in moments like that but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

And yea, I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro 64, the game ran garbage on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64...

13. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU: