PC won't post

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 14, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, this is weird. I was browsing the net this morning, checking up on latest news etc. Then I had to go to work, so I went to shut down the PC via start/shut down. Off i go to brush my teeth. When I came back to my room, the pc was still running, but the monitor was in standby. Thought it was weird, never happened before. So I hold down the power button on the case to shut it down. Held it for about 20 seconds, nothing. So I flicked the switch on the psu, also unplugged the psu. Left it for 5 minutes. Then I plugged it back in and flicked the psu on. PC started booting straight away, without me touching the power on button on the case.

It didn't post though. Just a black screen, monitor in standby. All the fans are spinning etc. Neither of my monitors came on. Tried to power it all off via the power switch on the case, nothing.

I'm thinking the power button is stuck open? Would that prevent it from posting? Can someone try to power on their pc and keep holding down the power button and see if it posts? I hope it's nothing serious :(

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I've had this issue before once or twice. You tried resetting CMOS?

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not yet, had to go to work. I'll try that later. Did that fix it for you? My rig has been rock solid until this happened. Do I just take the battery out for a few minutes?

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    turn off PSU switch and unplug cable. Leave it for 10 seconds.
    stick cable back, turn PSU switch on. See if PC starts by itself.

If yes, you might want to unplug power button from mobo "SWT" pins.
    Try again with button disabled.

(real man starts his PC with screwier driver)

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I already tried that sverek, it started booting as soon as a flicked the psu switch. Could be the motherboard piwer switch circuit, that means I will have to live with turning on the pc via psu switch or get a new motherboard. :(

6. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Well I guess thats your punishment for being such a good person in my thread the other day.

Anyway CMOS reset did the trick for me when it happened once before, it was like the system is hanging, and my research pointed me out to OC'ing not "posting" as it should have.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I was nice just wanted proof lol. Karma is a b1tch I guess lol. I hate being at work when I should be troubleshooting my PC!

8. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Goto BIOS set everything to stock settings and try once again before pulling battery out.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Can't get to bios at all.

10. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Try CMOS if it doesnt work, unplug everything and plug it back if its still fighting you then test components one by one.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's the latest 13.2 drivers doing it, the PC goes into standby and won't wake up.

Same thing happens to me - used to be an issue with 13.1 and now it's back.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm using 13.4 mate. Did it boot for you? I can't even get into Windows so can't change drivers. I'm also beginning to suspect usb ports

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh sorry I misread your post.

Pull out the power on/reset connectors from the motherboard then jump it with a screwdriver, if it boots normally the PSU is faulty.

If it still happens unplug the 4/8pin CPU plug from the board - if it only boots when CPU power plug is unplugged your vrm's are fried (remember what I said to you the other day...?).

Most likely the PSU is bad.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If it boots with power/reset headers pulled off how is it a psu issue? Shouldn't that mean the motherboard is bad?

15. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If disconnecting the case switch and starting it by shorting the pins doesn't solve it I'd have to agree with Pill probably power supply.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    He said that if it does jump starts without power/reset plugged in then it's the psu, which didn't make sense to me. Because if that works it's clearly a motherboard/pin issue.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not at all. It means the PSU power switch is stuck on.

In fact if it only boots when you turn the PSU off then on again that's exactly what the problem is.
    Those Corsair's aren't what they used to be, I've seen a few fail...prob 3 or 4 in the last 6mths....dunno if they have a new OEM or what...?

Maybe it was just a bad batch...seems to be the TX series mostly.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Mine is 3 years old. Couldn't it be the power connector on the motherboard being stuck open rather than the psu? And it does boot via power button on the case, but the monitor is in standby. I also can't power it off via the power on button on the case.

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Not looking good, probably PSU or MB, I hope it's PSU because it's less pain in the a$$ to change it with some other to do a test. So try with some other PSU. You can use some "normal" 400-500W PSU for that but first remove Radeon 7950 and use integrated graphic.

Try this to determine if maybe MB is causing a problem... Turn off PSU on it's switch, remove all RAM's and then turn on PSU and try to start that rig: if you hear some beep codes from MB about RAM error (if case beeper is connected to MB) then there is a chance that MB is alive but if there is no error sounds from MB maybe MB is dead.

I said maybe so try this also... Remove graphic card, all RAM's and other stuff from PCIEx & PCI slots, clean their contacts and then reseat it in their slots. Try to turn on rig now... If that doesn't help then remove graphic card and try to start rig using MB's integrated graphic card (HDMI, DVI or D-Sub on MB). If that doesn't help then probably that MB is dead.

20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Maybe +3.3V or +5V rail on that PSU is dead. In that case all fans (case fans, CPU fan, GPU fan... on +12V rail) will be spining but you're not going to see any POST.
    All rails on PSU can be easily tested with some analog or digital PSU ATX tester.