ASUS ROG ARES II Gets tested and reviewed [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Two of them are just starting to show Teeth at 3x 1080p displays.
    I would like to see results and comparison for 3x 1600p displays or 6x 1080p which would be 12.288M and 12.4416M pixels.

And I would like to see AvP 2010 Benchmark, since that game do not get CPU bottlenecked even on lowly i3's.

btw. totally delicious with exception of Power Draw.

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    OK boys.. Spill it.. Who's getting the card? :eyebrows: Send me your address and I will come and celebrate with you... :D

P.S: Hilbert, you have done it again! For once again, you have provided me with about +/-20min of unadulterated reading pleasure.. If I could I would shake your hand and give you a big hug. You deserve some love for this! :mhp::kiss::kissin:

We appreciate your hard work. Thank you! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There is very limited availability and these are custom made, only a thousand pieces!

The very next sentence was omitted in an effort to quell the jealous rage of a thousand gurus:

And this is why I have to make do with only two. :cry:

Good stuff, Hilbert.

4. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Awesome review.

5. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Not bad at all, temps are crazy for a single 120mm rad quite decent, not sure id fork out for it though this close to a refresh of GCN. Although for just having 1/1000 id have one.

6. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Awesome review !! Thank you boss !!

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I was waiting to see what rich people put in their computers
    Good review boss

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    haha, i didn't like the card much, what are you gonna use it for, Crysis 3? By that time the Titan will be here and i'll bet more than a few hundred knocking around. I much prefer some of the older ROG cards to this. Why even make it if it's basically not gonna be available? AMD wasting money at a time like this ain't gonna earn them any sympathy.

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the review.

These are beasts. And CPU limitation at 2560x1600 looks really funny :]
    Too bad that the most of these games are console ports. I'd like to see one targeted specifically at PC's, capable of using wide range of cards and CPUs including these ones.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier would be a good game for your reviews, it's very demanding, you gotta install around five patches before it's up and running though. But perhaps a candidate to replace BFBC2?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is just to much, what a beast! :D

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Great review, Hilbert.

The card's overclocking potential might be limited by the 525watt maximum power available. Clearly this card is not for power conscious consumers.

13. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    what's the point on keep reviewing this type of monsters on 1920x1200 as the main resolution? it should be 2560x1600, and include multimonitoring. it's a nonsense

edit: I did not finish reading the whole review. finally you get some multimonitoring tests :D

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    There's a 25x16 benchmark result of every game... But since you said "main resolution" I guess you mean the charts with the cards below the first graph.

Well, 19x12 is used for the sake of comparison with the rest of the cards. If 25x16 was used more than half the cards wouldn't be on the charts. :D

What I would have liked to see below that 19x12 chart, is a chart with all the available SLI/CF results for each game.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Great Review!

i wish more sites would include more than 2 generations of cards in their reviews...

16. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    2000 for the card from what i saw at vr zone, holy poop.:nerd:

17. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  19. toivonen

toivonen Member

Ok, 1st things 1st...

Congratulations, as always, for the great review.

Now...talking about this card is really a mix of feelings, one surelly must be amazed by the technological achivment the guys ASUS/ROG achieved, and yes it's faster (altough less stable) than the 690..but this propt us for the important question, when we say what's the faster generic mainstream card in existance, one can't say it's the ARES II, cause the truth is that this is NOT a mainstream/generic card!...it's a tuned version of a deadborn child AMD never gave birth, ence if we talk about GPU manufaturers, the crown still belongs to Nvidia, and the fastest graphic card (generic/mainstream) is the 690GTX..periood!

I can understand reviews comparing "normal" cards with tecnological excentricites like this one, for the sake of amusment, but not as term inlightning people of what is the current market standards...
    ...using a very apropriate comparison with cars...it's like if someone was making a comparison between a Ferrari 458 vs Porsche 911, (usually the "normal" 458 is faster than the 911) and had choosen to do so, picking a out of the box/factory standard Ferrari 458, vs a special tuned 911 (like the 9ff TR-1000) wich some german special tune company had made....of course the tuned, exclusivist special made for 10 people, Porsche would have won it!...and surelly that car will be effectivlly measured as the fastes of both, but seriouly people that wouldn't be a "truth" test and not been very correct/serious on the part of the testers, would it?!?...

...besides not hiding the fact that, the Ferrari 458 was in truth the fastest out of the box car!

Truth is, Nvidia knows it made also a tecnological achivment in the 690GTX, and better still, without having the kneed to use special divisions on outside companies to build what themeselves couldn't make it work, and by means of make it absolutly unafordable to the bystandard user, either by the price itself, as for other system requirments like special PSU's, and so on...

I agree that ROG/ASUS put together a magnificent product, but IMHO the technological achievment prize goes to Nvidia, because it made an almost equal performant card, using less sophisticated/exclusivist cooling, (LOT) less use of energy power, and at a price (in some cases) almost half of the cost of the so called WONDER ARES II....if you don't agree with me fine, but what would you call a normal 690GTX user who spent 700Eur, and with just a few cliks on GPU tweak, would outperform the new 1400Eur "golden boy" ARES II, using the same or less amount of energy power and a 850 PSU?!?...a superb engineer, or a SUPER WONDER piece of tecnological?!?lol...i think not, do you?!:3eyes:

Oh before someone starts a RED/Green bashing, i have to reveal that i'm a happy ATI customer by the way!lol What i'm also, is a non-biased person that see things in a broader spectrum and likes to compare things..that are comparable...THANKS

PS-Oh, not to mention that the 10-15% margin of win ARES II had, was almost destroyed a few hours later when Nvidia released Beta drivers 313.96 wich improoves particullary the 690GTX model....call that a coincidence?!?Lol

20. Archonic

Archonic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    Amazing stuff, It's really interesting to see all the dual gpu solutions the vendors have come up with so far. I'ts also nice to see them filling in where AMD left off, but as cool as this is, I really hope this doesn't have to happen again.