MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB GAMING SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by lalaland, Oct 16, 2013.

1. lalaland

lalaland Guest

GPU:
  2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
  3. lalaland

lalaland Guest

GPU:
    That is nice! :)

I have read that 770 can´t use all of the 4gb vram, is that true? If it is so, how much can it use?

Thanks!

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you wont be able to effectively use 4gb of vram. the core isnt fast enough to keep up. you will run out of gpu power before vram

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
  6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
  7. lalaland

lalaland Guest

GPU:
    So two 770 (4gb vram each) in sli can´t use all 4gb vram? For example if Battlefield 4 uses more than 2gb vram a 770 can only use like 2gb vram? 280x have 3gb vram does it have the same problem?

Thanks all! :)

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I would not worry about it too much, overclock your cpu if you have not already and overclock your core and vram and enjoy. I been enjoying 770 sli performance for almost a year already. if your framerate suffers knock down the iq setting a little

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it could use only 2GB, why on Earth would they put 4GB of ram there in the first place? Exactly. It is bull **** and it can definitely use more than 2GB and benefit from that in games that are breaking the 2GB barrier. They do not put expensive ram there if it is not going to be used.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    they also stuck 4gb on a 760, that card is going to run out of gpu power long before vram

11. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I think those cards are specifically for going SLI and not for single use. Otherwise I would agree with you.

12. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well I think that companies take advantage of the "lesser informed" pc crowd with the whole more is better mentality. Just go into your local bestbuy or whatever is in your area/country and look at the video card section. My bestbuy has gts 450's for $150 with crazy stickers saying "ohh ahhh! 2 gig of ram for super amzing hi-def gaming experience bla bla bla". Yes slightly over exagerated but you get the point.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  14. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Now that is an interesting article. I kind of suspected though, at least for the time being. I already saw vram usage at 1.9 out of my available 2 or the BF4 beta, but I will wait for reviews and the like to see if there is an actual difference between 2 and 4gb cards in future releases.

What suprises me the most in that article is with the higher resolutions...I totally thought the higher resolutions would be favored with the 4gb cards but the most difference was 1 fps lol. Thats crazy.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Entire point of GDDR is bandwidth. You can either store textures in system ram and access it at 16/32GB/s or you can have GDDR5 and access it (based on card) at 200-360GB/s.

Therefore it may come into your mind that as you turn around in game and have no GDDR resources you have to take them for each frame from system ram or Dump resources in GDDR and load from system memory and use those. (this is standard procedure)

Now if you 2 or 4 GB graphical ram and it allows you to access resources via 10x faster bus. 4GB allows to skip resource management which itself cuts available bandwidth for rendering purposes (microfreeze/stuttering).
    Because it's not like game uses all resources in every frame.

And if game actually used 4GB of resources. And all at once in every frame, then you would see how inferior 2GB card with 360GB/s would be in comparison with 4GB+ card with 200GB/s bandwidth. Because 2GB card would still have to wait for 2GB data from system memory received at best at 32GB/s.

16. lalaland

lalaland Guest

GPU:
    So lets pretend Battlefield 4 uses more than 2gb ram, then it is better to crossfire two 280x 3GB than sli two 770 4GB?

Thank you all! :)

17. angmar

angmar Guest

You can...I wouldn't go crazy with overclocking though.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I would just grab another 770. The 280x is a refresh just like the 770

19. lalaland

lalaland Guest

GPU:
    I got my 770 4GB cheap with promotions. And if i buy a second one it will be much more expensive than buying a 770 2GB version. So if it can´t use all 4GB isn´t it better to buy a 770 2GB and sli with that?

Iam a noob, sorry :(

20. Ash

Ash Active Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI
    You can't SLI a 4GB GPU to a 2GB GPU, only 4 to 4 or 2 to 2 etc.
    As for if you need 4GB or not, it's a tough call.

BF4 benchmarks showed that With Ultra Quality settings and 4xMSAA at 1080p, the game used about 2.3GB of GPU VRAM, which means that if you use a 2GB GPU (Even SLI'ed, cause the textures need to be copied to both GPU's, so you still only have 2GB effectively) on those settings, you may experience stuttering and lower FPS due to the VRAM buffer being full.

It's important to understand that more VRAM does NOT increase the performance of the GPU.
    The only thing it dictates is how much texture data can be stored in the GPU buffer, so in this example, a GTX780 would be better due to it having 3GB of VRAM, which means the game won't cap out the VRAM buffer.