NVIDIA G-Sync review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    I wouldn't want to guess the price of a module either...

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep could just make out a difference so nice vid there Hilbert.

but still a Korean for me in the new years!

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Page 2 has an error under "Are There Any Concerns?":

"You can see the first monitors and upgrade kits in Q1 2013." Change to 2014?

4. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Was loving it till I saw the price...

5. ochentay4

ochentay4 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 285 Dual-X OC
    Dissapointing review. I was hoping that you tested a game that can put many more fps, above 60. The panel is 144hz, I would have loved you to test Lef4Dead2, BF3, Call of Duty at 144hz/fps!!!!

6. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Wow, that price was unexpected. Not to be pessimistic, but I think, that this won't be the next big thing or the evolution in mass gaming, unless there's a significant price cut. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 3D Vision project the same - huge hype before release and after it... well not the expected boom...

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    True, but without having a visual representation for us to look at, I feel like it wouldn't have made any difference in the review. Besides, I figure that once you get beyond 100Hz, its physically impossible for you to notice the slight lag of v-sync. Your eyes generally can't recognize any more than 60FPS, but the thing with a 60Hz vsync monitor is the lags are slow enough that your eye can catch it. I think the reason people like the 120Hz+ monitors so much is because whenever there's a vsync lag, your eye can't see it.

So that being said, I think what would be a really interesting test is a vsync'd game playing at 60Hz, a vsync'd game playing at 144Hz, a gsync'd game playing at 60Hz, and a gsync'd game at 144Hz, all playing side by side. Don't put labels on any of the screens, and have several people (preferably with trained eyes) to identify the difference. I'm pretty sure nobody will tell the difference between vsync @ 144Hz and gsync @ 144Hz.

8. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I think that this is the future, but is a new thing and as all new thins the price is high, just wait and in 1 year we will see a the price go down.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If it wasn't proprietary nvidia would see it fly off the shelves and if it was a thing you can just add inbetween whatever monitor you have now.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Vsync doesn't have a slight lag, not even at 120Hz. It's noticeable at 120Hz but, of course, much less so than at 60Hz. Your eyes don't see in FPS, but it's been shown that people can tell even beyond 200FPS so yes, you do see beyond 60FPS.

120Hz is not only about improving lag, 120FPS feels much smoother, has less tearing, and has less lag. A game that stutters at 120FPS will not be as annoying as a game that stutters at 60FPS, too.

G-Sync at 144Hz will have less input lag than V-Sync at 144Hz, and it can be noticed particularly in FPS.

11. mannix

mannix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 ArmorOC
    The price is indeed too high but c'mon guys it's nothing new. When I bought my VG248QE I know it was overpriced. It's ASUS, that's all folks.
    If you don't like it just wait for Viewsonic, Benq, etc. With more competition the prices will get better quickly.
    And nobody noticed this is obviously official price list?
    Street price is lower, 20% lower: VG248QE official is € 300 + VAT, street price is € 231 + VAT
    Therefore we can expect around € 350 + VAT on retail, quickly dropping toward € 300 + VAT when G-SYNC DIY kit will become available. Something less when finally the competition will kick in.
    Great stuff at not-so-exaggerated price I'd say!

12. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    Alright, got to ask, what's the reference to "Korean"?

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You can order and import 2560x1440 IPS LED panels from South-Korea real cheap.

Old example -- I in the end ordered two:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=362514

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    So how does 40fps 'feel' though in an FPS game.

Is it still responsive, or is some lag detected ?

15. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I got one last week it's sitting next to my Asus VG278HE 144hz display so far I have not touched the Asus :) ah forgot use the Asus for the mini map in bf4 :)

16. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I'm really not that bothered, I've been playing PC games for 20 years and I've never noticed tearing... it's not something that is a big issue, especially one where you have to spend loads on another Monitor and own an Nvidia GPU.

If it becomes standard, then great, however it isn't something I will give any thought into.

I think Monitors are **** any ways, I bought this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W...id=1386868623&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+40+inch+tv

Amazing colours, better than any monitor I've ever had, including my old Dell IPS Monitor. I just put the TV on the wall and sit a bit further back and it's perfect, the blacks are black unlike 99% of monitors, the colours are great and the latency is low enough to where I have no ghosting.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm, you don't notice tearing? tried opening your eyes? Anyway, I wouldn't take monitor advice from someone who doesn't notice tearing and most likely a ton of input lag on that tv.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Too pricey for a cheap TN panel, including tax 520€, right..

I rather buy EIZO FG2421 120HZ VA panel for 490€. ;P

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The concept is great but there are 2 big problems:

the price, talk about a bad joke...

it´s proprietary, cmon Nvidia you should know by now that pc gamers hate proprietary stuff, just look at physx...

So how about selling that stuff at an acceptable price and share it with AMD? Cmon you can do it, it only hurts at the beginning...

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I stand by my previous statements. Just a niche product. As long as it's proprietary and vastly overpriced, it'll never be anything but a niche product.