Simple question about SLI and Video Output

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wsarahan, Aug 1, 2013.

1. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Hi guys how are you?

Let me ask you a thing

When i have 2 boards in SLI only the one in the top send video to my monitor, if i connect the cable in the second one nothing happens, even the first one without the cable is it ok right? With SLI just the peimary one semd video to screen right?

But even when i turn on the pc with both cards installed but without the SLI bridge connected still only the top board send video to the monitor, if i connect the cable in the bottom one and leave the top without cable no video just like the same scenario, is it normal?

Second question

I have a Dell U2711 with 2560x1440 resolution

If i use the displayport cable the image looks normal, amazing, but i just tried 2 DVI cables and the image is horrible, it just stays nice at 1280x1024, DVI-D is not supossed to run 2560x1440 without problems?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    First off yea just plug it into your main primary card.
    Second the dvi-d cables you are using are probably single link not dual link just continue using display port as that's a better connection anyways.

3. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Thanks

About the cable yeah it was a single link, my mistake :nerd:

About the video signal, even with the sli bridge off the second should not send video?

Thanks

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't believe it should the only time it should is when using surround but all monitors must be plugged into the top card until surround is activated. Also could be in your BIOS your top card is set to be the display.

5. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Thanks

I'd like to be sure about the bottom card not send video even without the sli bridge but i don't have time and patiente to unplug the top one :)

6. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    So anyone knows if it`s 100% sure that even with the sli bridge the bottom card won`t send video when both cards are installed in the case?

Thanks

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I'm not sure exactly what is your point but the second card can send video with SLI enabled.
    I used that in the past with my 2xGTX295 configuration.
    My TV (HDMI) was connected to the second card.

According to the surround display guidelines it is always the case:
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

But with only one monitor connected (primary display) only the master card can be used I guess (usually in the bios you can decide with PCIE port is hosting the master card).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  8. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I thought when sli is disabled you could use a monitor on second card cause they are independent then.