7950 or double 7850s in crossfire ??? plz help

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by hamaka, Apr 5, 2012.

1. hamaka

hamaka Guest

GPU:
    7870 Sapphire OC
    I'm planning to upgrade my VGA card, I play all FPS games in 1900X1080P (Samsung S27A950D monitor) and I plan to do HD3D as well, confused which way to go...Sapphire 7950 OC OR 2 Sapphire 7850 OC in crossfire, can't fine any benchmarking for crossfire of 7850, plz help

2. ralphjayson

ralphjayson Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 3GB 7950 OE
    I just got the same monitor yesterday for 579.99 and its awesome.
    I got he sapphire 7950 OE and I played bf3 and crysis 2 in 3d(dx9 since dx11 ruined 3d) and both runs great with no lag but I haven't checked my min/max fps since both were too awesome to play. Just get the 7950 since most people get crossfire issues with most of the drivers that amd has released. If you just want to play without worrying about anything, just get the 7950, I don't know about crossfire 7850 but if you are willing to try out lots of different drivers to get a stable crossfire in most of your games then get the 7850s. The price of the 7950 would go down soon since I just saw them go on sale for 50$ less in most places in the past few weeks due to the release of the gtx 680.
    7950 on sale will cost you between 450-500$ or 400-450$ once they all go on sale. the 7850 crossfire will cost you 500-600$ now or 400-500$ in the future.
    If you want to be future ready then get the 7950 for 400-450$ now and get them at a lower price in the future for crossfire since you might want to max out games in 3d and maybe try out eyefinity 2.0 with hd3d

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    @ hamaka, with the processor in your profile you will be to CPU limited to see any meaningful difference in performance between Xfire 7850 and single 7950. I would vote with ralph to just get the 7950 and not have to worry about speedy AMD and its xfire support for new games.
    I believe that a single 7850 feed by an i5 will out performance 7850 xfire feed by a core 2 duo processor. You need a good quad core processor to really benefit from upgrading. My suggestion would be to buy one 7850 and use the saving with additional fund to upgrade your processor and mobo.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Buy 1 7850 and get a 2500k decent MB ram. That will give you the best experience imo

5. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Any time you can avoid crossfire you'll be better off. Avoid the issues, and go with a single card.

6. hamaka

hamaka Guest

GPU:
    7870 Sapphire OC
    @ralphjayson: I'm leaning towards your opinion mostly due to that drivers issue, i know AMD is a little bit lazy with drivers release compared to nvidia, especialy i'm a boyhood nvidia fan and that's my first switch to the other side.
    @Icanium: I know that my cpu will bottleneck either choices, and i've got I5 2500K in my sight anyway, the plan was either i go with one 7850 and a new processor and mobo right now then later crossfire the GPU (when have additional funds), or I go now for single 7950 and postpone the CPU upgrade a couple of months, so actually i hope to know 7950 vs 7850 crossfire provided that both are run by an I5 2500K
    @TK , do u mean that i get the 7850 with a cpu upgrade right now and then crossfire later? would it be better than 7950 (with cpu upgrade) from ur POV ?
    @dirthhurts: I'm really worried about the crossfire issues , but that marvellous framerates i'm seeing on the charts combined with all the advantages with the 28nm new GPUs (power, temp, etc) make me wonder would it be the time for the crossfire ?

7. hamaka

hamaka Guest

GPU:
    7870 Sapphire OC
    @ralphjayson: and btw congratulations for the new monitor :), I'd like to ask u about the 3d experience u had using that monitor coupled with a decent HD3D capable AMD card, is it "awesome" or just "good", thx in advance for ur help, buddy :)

8. angmar

angmar Guest

def buy one card and a new cpu and motherboard....your cpu couldnt even use two cards properly right now it would be a waste of money.