Suggestions on a new keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ScoobyDooby, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hello all.

I just ordered myself a new mouse (kon xtd by roccat.. Came with a free mouse pad so figured what the hell.)

And then it dawned on me that id like to replace an aging logitch g11 keyboard.
    Ive had it for so long now that Im pretty out of the loop as far as what type/brand I should be looking for.

Id be interested to hear some suggestions prior to making a purchase.
    I dont really have a color scheme or anything to follow, and dont need the extra macro keys like ths g11 has (id rather it be smaller so it takes up less room on my keyboard tray)

Oh, and price is flexible. For the right keyboard, ill spend the $

2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Do you prefer mechanical switches? If not, I do suggest just a plain logitech K800 since its wireless and has a backlight (with pretty decent battery life). I use it in BF4 and haven't really experienced any jamming or delays so FPS games should in general be fine unless you have very high demands. It is really a no frills keyboard with just the basic media keys accessed through a laptop style FN + F button scheme. I can type up to ~120 WPM (my fastest) on it so, at least for me, it's a very comfortable keyboard to use. I think they also have a new one with a touchpad on the side if you also use your PC as a HTPC. I personally really dislike the looks of gaming keyboards so I steer pretty clear of them and try to look for something that's a bit more minimalist.

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't be opposed to wireless keyboard, however its not really a requirement as I won't be moving it.. it will stick by my desktop exclusively.

Also, forgot to mention, I'd like for it to have a USB port, at least one, just for quick access for a mouse or usb drive.

I wouldn't mind trying a mechanical keyboard.. it seems like there are plenty of options these days. If I did get one though, I'd like for it to be as quiet as possible. Actually, whichever keyboard I get, silence is important (as my rig is built to run VERY quiet, which is it )

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I think there aren't many options with USB ports built in, but the G710 seems to be a good fit as it does have the USB passthrough in addition to Cherry Brown switches (more quiet). Seems to have fairly good reviews on Amazon too. I personally just like the freedom wireless allows as I sometimes have to move my keyboard for books or if I'm watching a movie in the room I like to sit further back.

Razer's Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth (long name), is also quiet with Razer's own orange switches. It is however, a bit more expensive. I believe most of Razer's keyboards do have passthrough. I however, do not trust their reliability after seeing their mouse and keyboards fail relatively quickly with my friends.
    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00IG3GSQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408024225&sr=8-1&keywords=razer+blackwidow+ultimate+stealth

G710
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tactile-High-Speed/dp/B009C98NPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408024244&sr=8-1&keywords=g710

Edit: Also found Corsair makes the K70 with brown switches. Seems to look the least "gamer" themed if you care about that.
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00CD1FC6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408024481&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+k70

Also, I suggest you try to visit a hardware store or at least order from somewhere where you can easily replace the keyboards if you don't like them. This is because the switch from rubber dome to mechanical... is pretty big.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Thank you for your suggestions snip3r

6. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Please do yourself a Favor and avoid the the Corsair K70 or K95 have had to RMA each more than a couple of times.And if you look at there forums its non stop issues last time i checked.

Gigabyte Aivia Osmium have purchased 3 and the oldest one a year and some months is still going strong no issues at all.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4179#ov

Any Mechanical Keyboard by Ducky only ever had the chance to try them
    but from Friends experiences there great for the money.

My advice would be find a Mechanical Keyboard you like the looks of and do some research to see how reliable and long its lasts or any issues it has then just buy it.Its all personal preference so just go to your preferred store and look.

Hope these suggestions helped :)

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Good to hear that the gigabyte aivia is a solid option. I like the look of it as its not too flashy and is a bit smaller than the g11.

Ill read up a bit on these and see what I decide on. Thanks guys!

8. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I'm thinking about the upcoming Corsair K70 with RGB LEDs

h t t p : / / w w w . corsair.com/en-gb/landing/k70-rgb (sorry can't post link yet, silly)

Unfortunately previous versions apparently were quite faulty... I really hope they addressed the problem with this new release, well I am going to buy it anyway :)

Have a look

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What do you mean previous versions? I've had my K70R for a year now and everything is still fine. All LED's work.

10. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I am talking about their upcoming RGB version, where LEDs can be set to any color from 16.7mln palette.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I know, but I thought none of those versions were out yet. So how could they have been faulty?

12. vg24a3

vg24a3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I did write "previous versions" by which I meant the single color LED which is available.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Then what was lost in translation? That's exactly what I asked you in the first place. Since I've had the single LED version (red) for a year now with no issues. And I'm not just going off my personal example. As far as I know, only the really early batches had problems with LED's going out.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  14. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    +1 for Corsair K70. Excellent, well made keyboard that I absolutely love. Also has the USB port on it you want.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Engineering samples ?

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Logitech G710+ is the only keyboard that has everything I want from a keyboard. Worth checking out.

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I elected to go for the gigabyte aivia as NCIX has the white led/brown key version on sale WITH free shipping.

Looksy

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You sure have some specific preferences then :nerd:

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep... I wanted:

• brown switches (the dampening rings are a bonus)
    • macro keys on the left side of the keyboard (not above the F keys)
    • multiple profiles
    • multimedia buttons
    • volume rocker (redundant now I have a Aune T1, but at the time it was important)
    • wrist rest
    • ideally, it was going to be a Logitech board, as it saves me installing another piece of software on my rig (not a must, but a nice bonus)

so yeah, call me quirky, but I wanted all of the above, regardless of the price (paid £166 for my 710+). It was the only keyboard that had all of the above so it was the only option. When you pay that money for a keyboard, it would be stupid to settle for less then perfection. I'm happy with my purchase, it's a great board and I have no shame recommending it to everyone out there, especially at the sale prices they have been at recently.

I don't think there's a keyboard out there that has it all, apart from the 710+. If I needed to replace mine, I'd go 710+ again.

The Avia above would be a 100% no go for me, personally, because the macro keys would be unusable for me.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296