PC sales in free fall

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ghosty, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I bought a nexus 7 for xmas and its been patched with Custom roms etc.
    I have not turned it on in around 3 months, its sitting under my monitor.

How people can play games seriously on one of these is beyond me.

As for consoles ill never buy another except for maybe MGS5 then resell after.Oh wait a minute my brother has a PS3 so ill just borrow his:)

PC for gaming is KING at it will be for alongtime yet!

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    They appear to be doing a good job of it lately. What with the rumors of the 720 being always on internet connection, and Windows 8 being disappointing. And the best news of all, Office to appear on Linux.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its not over yet, just wait more to come i bet my life on it and it wont be pretty.

4. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Desktop PC is and will remain a league of its own.

- The main reason the sales are in free-fall is the fact that the majority of people want a PC for nothing other than internet/office usage and the desktop PC technology is such that you can easily do such kind of usage even with a quality 10-year old unit. Lots of people are happy with their 2GB XP 32-bit system with a simple dual core CPU. They don't plan to buy a new PC unless it brings them measurable benefits. These people are the majority and dominate the market.

- The secondary reason is the lack research development. AMD is out of the race. Intel has slowed down the pace. NVIDIA & ATI are running out of steam and Microsoft avoids releasing a new Vista-like OS (meaning one that will bring low-end and mainstreams down to their knees) and Windows 8 is a joke for desktops. Personally I refresh my desktop hardware often, even if it is of little real usage to me, as I just like the idea of having a high-performance PC. Even so, after Intel Nehalem nothing had my attention.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Not a surprise given two things. For one - the economy still sucks and computers are a luxury. And two - most computers out there can do basically everything but gaming acceptably, so the impulse to upgrade for the average user is expiring, especially since mobile devices can do that stuff too.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, it looked like you were boohooing those who are worried :)
    Shrinking market will end up with fewer companies and higher prices in the long term unless mfring costs can be substantially reduced.

Its a transition that shouldnt be happening so quickly.
    MS have screwed over so many companies and faithful users.
    They could have made all their products desirable and let the market decide when a shift should take place, all the while selling tons of everything.
    Instead they tried to force it with things few people want to buy, resulting in reduced interest in all their portfolio and as a consequence sinking the PC market faster.
    Bill Gates must be livid surely, look what they are doing to his company and the market he created.
    Either that or he is behind it and has changed in his later years.
    Does he get much say these days?

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nonsense.

Windows 8 is exactly what the market is looking for right now. The big issue is that they didn't change the interface enough and completely take away the classic desktop option. They also didn't make it 64-bit only, which wouldn't have been a big issue since ARM is soon coming out with its 64-bit implementation and Intel (whom Microsoft is using in the tablet that really mattes, the Surface Pro) is already 64-bit.

Windows RT was their only mistake, one they seem to be aiming to rectify in "Windows Blue".

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    So its not exactly what the market is looking for.
    lol

Price of fish?

Really, their only mistake.
    You either dont read much or have a very selective filter.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, in my opinion they didn't push the change far enough. But the change that they did do was enough to make Windows usable on a tablet, which is what the market was/is looking for.

So what other mistakes did they make with Windows 8? So far the [shrinking] market is loving it as much as it loved any other version of Windows.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You completely missed the point, this is about PCs.
    Check the title of the first post, its usually quite helpful.

They made it harder to use, forced the use of gestures, much longer methods of doing age old functions, forced the use of the windows App store with a replacement for the start button that is a very bad replacement that most people do not want.
    Also the start button is much liked and missed.

Really, the shrinking market loves Windows 8? :)
    You must be living under a rock.
    I can link you many articles if you like.
    But seeing as you must not have read any of them, I doubt you actually want to.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The market did decide a shift, it's the reason why you see plummeting PC sales. I don't know a single person that has a tablet that use a PC as well anymore, aside from work. Microsoft needed to push a product that is competitive on the next generation of devices and they did just that with Windows 8. And it's more than capable of being used on a desktop. I have no problem using it. The 15 people who run it at my office now have had no problem using it. It seems like the only people with problems with it are people that haven't tried it for longer than a couple hours.

And Bill Gates is probably completely for it. He's been touting natural input (speech, touch, etc) for decades now.

PC's in the traditional sense are a dying breed. The gamers and people that require dedicated hardware will probably be the last ones to cling onto it. Eventually you'll be streaming all your processing power from the cloud.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Functions that most people didn't use in the first place. It's a relief that those functions are harder to get to, it makes it harder for people to by accident or even on purpose screw up their computer.

When my parents had Windows (everything, 3.1 through 7), I spent countless hours...days, fixing the problems they had. A lot of time the problems were caused by accidentally clicking on something and changing a setting that they had no idea how to fix.

I have since gotten them a Mac OSX based laptop. Do you know how many problems I've had since then? One, when they couldn't figure on how to connect to the wireless internet.

Again, you are looking at Windows through the eyes of an enthusiast, which is fine. But realize that you are the 0.1% (if not 0.01%) of PC users out there. If you are unhappy with the amount of tinkering you can do in Windows, whether now or in the future, you are always free to switch to Linux. Microsoft doesn't need to cater to enthusiasts.

You know the reason why Microsoft survived with MS-DOS (and Windows) and IBM crashed with OS/2? It's because Bill Gates understood that the money was in the software, not the hardware like IBM thought.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There is no "forced use of the windows app store" at all.... and this line of bull**** is getting old.

In case you missed it....IDC has been predicting the death of PCs for a few years now....and sales have been dropping for a few years now.....even before anyone saw Windows8 and Metro. So, exactly how is this all the fault of Windows8?

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Did you read my previous posts?
    The market hasnt got a choice but to shift if you dont like windows 8 on PC, unless you can get hold of and are happy with Windows 7.
    Once people are on tablets, thats another thing entirely, thats not what this is about.
    Its the pushing of people away from PCs thats at issue.

The market didnt make the decision on its own, MS pushed users away from the PC, and not toward their own tablets either in the most case.
    Windows 8 (and their ridiculous pricing) pushed people away from Windows tablets as well, it looks awful.
    The point of this discussion is not about Windows 8 in general, its about the effect the PC version of Window 8 had on the PC.
    MS didnt need to make PCs version so bad, we could have all had our cake.

What has Bill Gates liking natural input (speech, touch, etc) got to do with this?
    They are not exclusive to Windows 8 on PC.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Your line of reasoning gets old.
    Have you seen what happens when you boot the PC version of Windows 8?

Yes PC sales are in decline, but in case you havent been able to read previous posts, it neednt be forced into happening so fast.
    Where does it say this is all the fault of Windows 8?
    You make a bad argument.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I, and the market, fail to see how Windows 8 is pushing anyone from the PC. It boots and shuts down faster, has a terrific looking new interface that's still fully controlled by a mouse and keyboard. In addition, you can use touch if you have a touch compatible screen.

What's not to like?

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats quite the idiotic statement lol.

Price of fish?

Good for you/them.
    Again, price of fish?

Again, read the tech news.
    This isnt an enthusiast phenomenon.

You'd think they would pay a bit more attention then lol.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    http://youtu.be/45z99MTsig8?t=28s
    http://youtu.be/aHig7qRasE4

Yeah, it boots a hell of a lot faster than Windows 7.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My word.
    You think that booting and shutting down faster defines how good an OS is.
    It does not have a terrific new look, its bloody horrible.
    Thats part of the problem.

Touch is a good feature on a small handheld device.
    It has very limited use on a vertical screen that you are not even necessarily close to.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme