AMD 14.4 issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MentalParadox, Aug 3, 2014.

1. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    I have a serious problem. A few weeks ago, a program I was using recommended me to install the latest AMD display drivers. Realizing mine were indeed outdated, I obeyed. I installed 14.4.

Since then, I experienced regular blue screens of death. Every few hours or so, entirely randomly (on Facebook, and Youtube expecially). Naturally, I blamed the driver. This suspicion was comfirmed after my lastest BSOD earlier today. I had just rebooted, and got the message that my AMD driver was malfunctioning. So I tried installing 14.4 again.

No effect. Worse actually, because now my computer claimed no drivers were installed at all (or they were functioning badly, again)! I installed driver sweeper, and nuked the living bejeezus out of everything AMD-related. Then I did a clean install of 14.4. Again, no dice. The installer said everything was fine and dandy, but at the same time my computer claims no drivers are installed.

I'm at a dead end here, guys. Help?

2. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    Driver Sweeper is really obsolete and for this reason it's dangerous with latest AMD drivers. You need to try Display Driver Uninstaller. It is regularly maintained.

3. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Oh, yes, that's what I meant. I was under the impression DDU is simply the modern version of driver sweeper.

But anyway, I doubt DDU was the problem here...

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    DDU is not driver sweeper, and is the recommended driver removal app
    http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

BSODs could be through hardware acceleration of flash player, right click a flash video and goto settings > disable HWA

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

5. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    I used DDU.

And as stated in the OP, the blue screening is no longer the problem (not to mention it happened in non-flash applications like Facebook and while browsing through folders... All "coincidentally" right after installing 1.14).

The problem atm is that I can't install the display drivers, while the installer of said driver keeps saying it installed fine.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you bothered trying different drivers other than 14.4 ?

Generally when drivers cause problems, people roll back to the ones that were working, or try a different version

7. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    I don't know where to find older drivers. The official site only offers the lastest/betas from future drivers.

Tried the beta from the next version, by the way. Didn't work either.

I did see something interesting last time I tried installing 14.4 though... I got this message before installing:

I wish I could post the screenshot, but the forum won't let me. Would make things too easy I suppose. The message said "current version not installed. AMD CIM installation package."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Current and older drivers.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-13-12-whql-download.html

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Try 14.7 RC1 (9 July).

10. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Oh my, I didn't know you could download drivers on this site! Sorry, I'm new =)

Okay, nuking my driver again and installing the older ones. I'll report results soon ;-)

11. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Tried it already, didn't work sadly.

12. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
  13. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    I have had HORRIBLE issues with the AMD 14.X series on my Radeon 7880 here at work. Issues from not waking up from sleep (this morning), which if i leave it will wind up BSOD'ing on that ATIMAGblah blah.sys file, or Random BSOD's out of no where. I have a tri-monitor setup, using active MDP to DVI dongles. (Card has 6 Mini DP ports). Its VERY enfuriating. This has been the only card i have ever actually goner to the manufacturer site and reported driver issues.. TWICE. Nvidia's driver team is heads over heels better then AMD's..

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    follow these steps.

1. download 14.4 from amd site and save to hard drive
    2. open control panel go to device manager and uninstall graphics card driver.
    3. restart computer into safe mode can do this pressing f8 upon computer startup
    4. make sure in device manager amd display driver is gone and in the program and program files x86 folder on root of c drive delete all amd folders.
    5. restart computer into normal windows
    6. Install amd 14.4 drivers when it ask to install or delete all previous files choose to delete all
    7. system will reboot
    8. install amd 14.4 drivers again and this time choose to install drivers
    9. after install of drivers restart computer and all should be good.

15. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Nope, nothing worked. Tried 13.12, failed just as miserably as the 14.7 beta or 14.4 did.

The Catalyst install manager isn't even done congratulating me yet on my 100% successful install, or windows starts crying again it has no video card drivers.

I followed all steps of above poster to the letter.

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    what is your motherboard make/model?

17. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Wish I knew. But this is the computer (OEM): HP Pavilion HPE h8-1050be.
    I'd post the link, but the site won't let me.

I already tried installing the original drivers of the device from HP, but that had the same result:

Installer: "Installation success!" => Windows: "No drivers!"

18. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Can you go to the device manage and check what is the error that showing on the graphic card device?
    And also the Hardware ID.

BTW, you can just post 2 more posts to 10 posts total, then you can start posting link or picture.:)

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Its says Radeon 6800, what is the xact make/model of the GPU?

edit:nm says 6850.

20. MentalParadox

MentalParadox Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6800
    Predictably, it has a yellow callout mark - meaning "no drivers".
    The message is (translated from Dutch): "can't start device because configuration data in register is incomplete or damaged".