Are non stick pans...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by (.)(.), Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Can't beat cast iron, (good cast iron not that nasty cheap galvanized looking carp you get these days). My mum has worked as a pub chef for 14 years (she is 70 now), and she absolutely swears by them.

The only gripe I have with cast iron is that you have to oil them straight away after washing them, or they rust; no biggie.

But yeah, I'm not a big fan of non-stick coatings, I mean, if you don't know how to use oil, butter, water, or sauces to stop food from sticking / burning, you shouldn't be in the kitchen in the first place lol.

Besides, that's what woman are for lol :p.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't you put the oil, butter, and sauces on the woman?!

Cheap non-stick is no good. One of the issues with non-stick up until a couple of years ago was the glue used to hold the teflon to the pan. Afterall, making something stick to non-stick isn't easy! that glue wasn't the most ideal thing to have on a hot cooking surface... (I believe they've changed it now, but you never know with cheap imports).

Hard-anodised non-stick is what you want, use plastic (a type of nylon I believe) utensils on it, and still use some oil. I don't think something like a schnitzel would come out very nice without the use of oil! I think the best oil for cooking is sunflower oil. It doesn't have a fatty taste, and makes things nice an crisp :)

On a completely separate topic about oil... I boguht some Pringles for the first time in a couple of year the other week, they were utter crap compared to what they used to be. The previous Pringles I had were made in Belgium, these were made in the USA. All I could taste was a horrible lardy fatty taste. I looked at the ingredients, and saw they now used a cheapskates blend of 'vegetable oil' (you know, the cheapest stuff from the shop) and it had 4? different oils in it. I believe the soybean and cottonseed (two dirt cheap crappy food oils) were adding to the fowl fatty taste. They are still a little addictive though due to the couple of different flavour enhancers in it. Anyone notice this? from memory I think it was just used to be the much better canola oil used.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Only during kinkey time :D

Yeah, the only cooking oil I use is "extra virgin olive oil."

And yeah, chippies have taken a drop in quality since manufactures started using crap ingredients. No amount of "flavor enhancers" can make up for that.

4. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Poeple have also been known to give thier parrots avacado (extremely toxic to parrots) and have them for years. I have also known people to have killed theri parrots after cooking ona gifted set of pans and forgetting about the danger of teflon. NOT all coated pans are teflon so maybe your relatives aren't as careless as you make them aout to be. Do a little research on teflon pans and parrots then tell me what's what.
    What's with all the jackassery in this thread any way?? School out early this year?