FX-8350 or FX-6300

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DarkReign, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I'm excited to know if you will get better results in games.

Run 3dmark11 with and without overclock and post link please, i want to compare my cpu score versus yours.

2. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    I can certainly do that for you.

I'm really excited to see what the performance difference is. With my current setup, Batman: AC dips down to 8 fps in the bench. :( The game itself can get somewhat choppy at times.

3. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Also interested as I currently have an fx4100 at roughly the same clocks you had it at. Hope it goes well mate.

4. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    I'll get a bench of my current setup, a bench of the stock FX-8320, and a bench of the OC'd FX-8320 and post later tonight. I may need help with postings pics though. I haven't attempted on this forum before. :)

5. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Nice one, look forward to it :)

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You can use imgur.com or photobucket.com, etc

Btw Batman AC is a bad example, that game is buggy no matter what especially that benchmark - Inefficient physx code.

7. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Thanks for that! I wasn't aware. I'll base it off my 3dmark score. I'll get some cpu-z screenies as well.

8. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Well I'm hoping this works, as my current 3dmark account won't let me store multiple results.

[​IMG]

Here is the FX-4100 @ 4.6GHz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5506311

Here is the FX-8320 @ stock:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5506636?key=q69d73C5_ZGH5MIdcVvjRQ

Edit*

Currently oc'd at 4.2GHz. I haven't pushed it further because I was getting temperatures around 61 C using OCCT. I think I need to re-seat the Antec Kuhler 920 I'm using. I was getting temps of 54 C on load with my FX-4100 @ 4.6GHz @ 1.43 V.

[​IMG]

Well here's the 3dmark score
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5506799?key=qFwF1HkeTHWbrYl8MRa2cQ

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Okay, so I ran OCCT again, and used AMD OD to monitor the core temps. They are maxing at 50C, but the CPU temp, which I assume is the socket temp, jumped as high as 68C. Which temp should I go by? Pretty noob question, I know, but I'd rather be safe than fear sound like an idiot. :)

10. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    Okay, sorry to all for posting like crazy. But after searching google last night, I've managed to figure out that the Core Temp is what I need to keep an eye. This morning I cleaned (really well this time) and re-seated the cpu and heatsink. This is what I've come up with so far. I'm not sure why Cpu-ID is reading my vcore at 1.536 v, but I've checked in bios and it is actually at 1.3875 with no offset. Asus Ai is doing the same for me as well. AMD Over Drive seems to read it correctly though.

[​IMG]

So far so good. Temps are stable at 48 C. I have some head room in there, so I'm going to push it a little further when I get the chance to. Also, as you can see this is done with lower than stock voltage! I'm really happy with this chip. It's batch 1237, in case any of you are curious. Also, I'm using Arcitic Cooling MX-4, Antec Kuhler 920 with two Scythe GT's (1800 rpm).

And here is the 3dmark score. A little bit better.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5511975?key=800B1sMNpza5yxXkXLKSxw

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

11. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Awesome, thanks for the update :) Looks a nice upgrade :eyes:Could you try a few CPU limited games? I don't know what you have but maybe GTAIV, Assassins Creed, Skyrim, StarCraft II....anyone else want to chip in with games that rely on cpu speed?

12. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    I have Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Crysis 2, Batman:AC, Witcher 2, and a few others. If you'd like I can get a screenie of Skyrim with Fraps and post back. Also, I just realized that Overdrive was reporting 1.3875 as the VID, and the Vcore is ~1.423. The odd thing is that under full load the Vcore jumps to 1.5. I haven't set any offsets, and LLC is on. I didn't turn off turbo core though, could that be causing it to jump? I'm going to attempt 4.8GHz later on tonight.

13. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    What LLC does it have on that board, if it is like Auto/regular/high/ultra high/extreme, etc The highest one can sometimes take it way above the normal running vcore when under load,as can auto. Personally on my M5A99X Evo, I have it set to ultra high as it keeps the vcore rock solid to my bios setting (1.32v) Try one in the middle, see what happens under load and then adjust until happy.

Don't rush the overclock, install a few games and bench them when the machine is fully stable (ie no weird pauses, stutters etc)

Look forward to seeing the results. Congrats, I am officially jelly lol :) Only have to wait a month though until I'm getting one with a nice RoG board.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  14. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    It's very basic. Options are Auto, Always Enabled, and disabled. I'm not entirely sure if there is a way to select the fifth option, which would be Extreme.

I'm going to go back to running a few stability tests for now. I'll try Skyrim in a bit as well. :)

Well I'm jealous of the ROG board! I was looking at the Sabertooth, but figured the upgrade wouldn't make sense, as I could just pay an extra few dollars and get an i5 will a cheaper board.

*edit:

So I'm playing around with vcore last the moment. I dropped it to 1.4v and set llc to enabled which goes up to extreme. I noticed that manually setting the core to 1.4v is limiting the jump to 1.5. I guess I have to play around until I get it to a lower vcore that's stable

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Thanks for the comparison on 3dmark11.Appreciated.

16. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Game benchmarks......please :)

17. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    I can definitely do that. But...uh....how do I do that? :)

18. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    FRAPS my friend :) Or do it on games that have their own built in benchmark.

19. DarkReign

DarkReign Guest

GPU:
    780 Classy 1287/6200
    I will do that! I can say that Borderlands 2 Was incredibly smooth compared to the FX-4100. So much so that it felt very different playing it. Batman AC still felt a little choppy, but I have a feeling it's the game itself. Skyrim was very smooth. I was topping 141 FPS at certain points. Anyway, I'll get some benchmarks and report back.

20. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Excellent, look forward to it bud.