Help 3770k OC'ing strange high temps

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by alonbl, May 24, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You should INSIST he checks out his "work" again because these temps are far from normal. They're too high.

And if you want to do it yourself, it's pretty easy.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Take it back and have them fix everything!

3. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Anyone that tells you that's normal or thinks nothing is wrong with it has no idea what they are doing. Do it yourself or take it somewhere else, do not take it back to them.

Most of these box and mom and pops stores have no clue on temp and oc setups. Rate that your going, you will be short 1 3770 pretty soon.

If you could post pictures of the inside of your case, with the fan setup we will be able to walk you through the issue.

He probably used the Noctua paste which is not that good and might have air bubbled it or messed up the bracket install. Or he kept the Noctua paste and used a generic compound on it. First thing I would do is order a good thermal compound and change that out yourself.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Agreed I would suggest Geild GC Extreme has worked great for me my water setup gets 28C idle my i5 at 4.5 gets 31C idle with a cheap Hyper 212+. Highly recommend.

5. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    What are the temps I need to look at? there are 10 different cpu temps. (this is on 4.3ghz no volt increase)
    [​IMG]

6. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    You want to look at:

Core#0-1-2-3 temps.

If the temps you're showing here are while PC is Idle, something is seriously wrong, idle temps should be 28-34 degrees celcius depending on you cooling. Even under load (100% ??) they seem a tad high even for Ivy.

If these temps are while idle, i hope you still have a money back guarantee, caus' i would simply give them the pc back and shop another place tbh.

I use Core temp myself and Prime95 for stress testing OC, but have used HWInfo also..and it have always showed same numbers as coretemp with maybe 1 degree variance..

When you show us HWinfo, tell us or show us what load you have on cores also (coretemp shows load/temp/VID all in one little window)

7. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    I wrote 4.3ghz.
    It's with IBT.with Prime95 it's 5 degree less.

8. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    4.3GHz is not the load :)

With load we mean: what are your CPU doing at the time you took the screenshot...was it doing nothing (Idle) except HWInfo or did you have a game running.

Do us favor, download Core Temp 1.0 (easily googled) and take a screenshot of that, It will show us what load (lower right corner, Load)

9. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    Doing IBT at 100% load

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  10. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    In that case, do as suggested earlier on.

1: re-seat cooler and re-apply Thermal paste (and make sure you get some quality paste)
    2: check your airflow

seems to me at 4.3 with no voltage increase those temps a high, even for Ivy CPU.

And with regards to them changing stuff from what you ordered..that is bad even if it 'only' mobo revision. But when they change that they may have changed other less easy to spot things also.

I would really consider just getting my money back and shop another place if you have that option, seems a dodgy shop at best ;)

hope you get it sorted :)

Edit: that core with 79 degress is too high imo, 69/73 degree under 100% load is kinda ok for an Ivy bridge. but still consider re-seating and new Thermal Paste.
    I would not OC/increase voltage further with your current temps.

Last edited: May 25, 2013

11. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    Ok ill see what I can do. What temps should I be getting then?

12. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    I refitted the cooler with thermal paste. Now on stock (3.9ghz) 100% load it gets to 70c.
    with 4.3ghz no volt increase it gets on IBT:
    [​IMG]

On prime 4.3ghz:
    [​IMG]

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's still high. Not dangerously high, but I wouldn't be happy with those temps.

14. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    If re-seating the cooler with new thermal compound didn't help, and you are seriously wanting a nice OC, look into this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...209054&Tpk=antec kuhler 920&IsVirtualParent=1

My load temps are in the mid 50's at 100% load after 24 hour of prime 95 with this guy. Just make sure you have room for mounting it (I had some issues, ended up mounting one fan outside the case) but it works like a charm. Best of luck!

15. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    It help on stock temp by 10c. 4.3ghz oc is fine by me don't feel the need to spend 100$ more.
    Besides I use it motly for gaming and 4.3ghz will keep the CPU alive longer then 4.8

Last edited: May 27, 2013

16. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Yes, I agree it may only be 10C at stock, but what you don't understand about water is it will help keep it down much much lower even at higher clocks. You can set custom fan speeds if you don't mind the louder fans and I can keep my idle at 30C and my load to low 40's at 100%. I also ran a benchmark at around 4.8 GHz and at 100% fan ramp up it still kept my temps at low 60's.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What is your actual vcore under load? Use cpu-z to monitor the voltage. Post back. I have a feeling it adds too much voltage on whatever you have it set up in bios.

18. alonbl

alonbl Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC 3GB
    I see u r very enthusiast water man. Its not difficult to understand how it works and I don't want it.

eclap- under load its 1.176v

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    There's something wrong with your setup. That voltage is fine. Post a pic of the inside of your case pls.

20. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    THIS. IVY is known to overheat because it has poor thermal paste inside its metal carcass