HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I completely agree with you. I cap all my games at 60 fps, so the latency issue hasn't been noticeable to me but knowing that I can't play some of my favorite games without these serious artifacts that resemble a bad overclock or faulty hardware is beyond frustrating.

2. orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Guest

GPU:
    HD7660D + HD7850
    Sapphire 7850 OC 1GB GDR5 Problems?

Recently joined the Circle of PAIN [Trouble] when I splurged and bought this card to mainly play World of Tanks........I have had NO problems to speak of with any other games but my game of choice is unplayable.....I get a "GHOST" tank form right in the middle of my screen, right where your aiming reticle is located. It starts smallish and then gets bigger. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of this but have given up.
    When installed I was using the 12.10 drivers and sure hoped that the new 13.1 drivers would have solved this and made me a happy gamedr,,,,,but NO, I still have this TERRIBLE problem......have written ATI\AMD Driver Dept. and reported it and wrote Sapphire......I guess from their response, there mujst not be a "fix", because they said to send a copy of saled receipt to their RMA Dept.
    Don't see here where anyone else is reporting similar problems with WoT????

3. Sepultor

Sepultor Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
    Same for me.

I have artifacts in skyrim ( very little but i see the artifacts)., Farcry 3 same, chivalry.

in batman arkham city, DayZ, War Z, Natural selection 2, Sleeping Dogs, i dont see that.

Sorry for my english.

4. D3lta

D3lta Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2
    I agree.

I don't have artifacts with my 7970 DCU2 TOP.

5. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    You enter this thread, quoting someone from September and offering no details about the specific games you play...very helpful. :puke2:

6. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker but I decided to create an account after starting to experience this corruption recently.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 and I have a reference 7970 from Sapphire, bought on 7970 launch day.

After I bought it I used Windows 7 x64 and did not notice any corruption. When I switched to Windows 8 I played a lot of BF3 and Saints Row the Third (both DX 11) and also haven't noticed any corruption.

More recently after installing 12.11 beta 11 I started playing DotA 2 and Tropico 4 and I noticed the very same corruption as shown in the linked videos: black triangles/lines poping-up for one or two frames. After cleaning up 12.11 beta 11 and installing 13.1 and later 13.2 leaked beta the corruption not only persisted but also appeared in BF3 (w/ 13.2) and on the desktop (both 13.1 and 13.2). The corruption in BF3 and on the desktop is much less pronounced than that in DotA 2 and Tropico 4 but it is there.

I can not pinpoint the exact moment it showed up, I started noticing it after buying Tropico 4 on the Steam sale and around the same time in DotA 2.

I'm gonna try to revert to some older drivers, but meanwhile I can confirm the corruption is definitely there, even with a reference 7970 running at stock frequencies and voltage.

7. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Catalyst 13.2 beta is only unofficial test version which was leaked and not intended to be released. Uninstall it and restore 13.1.

Ok Some results on 13.1 testing:

Skyrim on standard Multisampling AA.
    Random gaming = no flickering observed.
    Flickerspot = Game flickers one and then its ok.
    Skin flickerring = still present

Skyrim on Supersampling AA:
    Random gaming = minor flickering
    New flickerspot on different place (one of the towers near Whiterun)
    Skin flickering = still present

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition:
    Random gaming = not visible
    Flickerspot = Again one flicker and not anymore

Witcher 2 Enhanced edition with Ubersampling:
    flickering on all spots slightly increased.

Starcraft II:
    With this catalyst I can finally confirm presence of flickering even in this game.

Generally the flickering became more predictable and currently shows some minor connection with sampling mode.

8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Unfortunately... I even try on TechReport, on those articles about the memory latency issues, but they completely ignore all of my comments. Not a single mentioning... Meanwhile, they're testing excessively Skyrim -one game that the issue is clearly present.

Maybe because it's more serious than it seems... I really don't know what to say. Catalyst 13.2... Our last hope. If the problem remain ( the most likely ), I really hope Guru3d will write an analytical article, at least.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  9. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Just finished a rebuild of my system (new m/b cpu/ PSU) totally fresh install win7 x64 with cat 13.1 (+ latest CAP) on my 7970 (stock clocks) still have the same issues that were showing before the rebuild

First title i fire up and test (portal 2) i get the checker boarding

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skyrim - Shows White flickering polys and z-fighting on alpha blended rocks/moss/dirt

Transformers FOC -No flashing/glitches or checker boarding at all

2D Desktop still has an odd glitch when using Aero or firefox with H/W accel

Ive only owned the 7970 for about 2 weeks (since ATI/AMD card since 4870) and i have to say im impressed with the hardware (fast/cool) but totally disgusted with the state of the drivers.

I held off buying for the first a year waiting for AMD to get the kinks worked out but it seems they still haven't gotten there act together...looks like the 7970 will be going the same way as my 4870....that is returned to be replaced with nVidia

Maybe we should start a AMD driver issues/error screenshot/video thread to help highlight the issue for them as they seem totally blind to it ATM

10. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    For now I would rather wait for official 13.2Beta. I am really curious about new memory management.

And screenshots from Portal surely shows issue which seems to be related to graphical memory.

11. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Did anyone happen to try 13.2 Unofficial?
    I am on 13.1 right now and have seen increased flickering in Train Simulator 2013, and no flickering in Civ (DX10/11)

12. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    In short: same ****.

@Gizmo

Sorry, but this looks like a defective Vram. But on the other side with the ****ty drivers AMD provide you can't be 100% sure.

13. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I see some improvement with the flickering issue. its still there, but its getting better this time.

Edit:
    Please set Catalyst to Adaptive Antialiasing and re-test everything again.

14. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Well for me it only happens in "Web Review Benchmark" titles so far haven't seen it in any titles Ive tried that aren't the usual suspects for card/driver reviews

Tile's ive seen it in

Res 5 (dx9 only)
    Portal II
    SkyRim
    Batman AC
    BF3
    BF2BC

titles Ive not seen it in

Binary Domain
    Transformers FOC/WFC
    Alice Madness Returns
    DarkSiders II

Like other users here have stated i cant believe that not one review site has picked up on these rendering errors and asked AMD WTF is going on and why they haven't been fixed,Ive been reading posts and watching video's of the skyrim glitches that date back well over a year!

15. Tanquen

Tanquen Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7970 - R7970-2PMD3G
    I still have it.

Remember to tell them:

Report Form for Catalyst 13.1. www.amd.com/report.

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hey guys, ill just went to SweetFX 2.0A software, and with it, and 12.11b4 installed(and downsampling, playin 2560*1600 atm dowsnampled to 1920*1200 on my 2412M) i cant see flickering in Skyrim(tried 20 mins, same loc as b4 that gave me flickering) and WoT, or WT.

I know it is workaround, but u can try.

17. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    I have tried the 9.00-120612a-140545E-ATI driver on Windows 7 x64 (the very first 9.00 driver) and the intermittent corruption is still there in Tropico 4.

In the next days I will try a driver from the 8.982 branch. Since I don't recall having this issue in the first half of 2012 maybe the corruption started when the drivers went from the 8 branch to the 9 branch.

18. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I have not seen flickering in Skyrim since the 12.11 beta 11s.
    I have only played Skyrim an hour at a time.

So I do not know if it is a time span thing.

EDIT:-
    Played the game for a couple of hours and found one instance of image corruption with the 13.1 drivers.

Not quite the same corruption as i had experienced before.
    This time it was a smatter of green and red polys in the center of the screen for less than a second otherwise I have not come across anything as severe as what I had encountered in the 12.10 and early 12.11 betas.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Hey guys.

did some more tests.

Select Supersampling in CCC, and set at least Antialiasing 2x in the game/3d engine.

with this settings i was able to supress most of the flickering.

Edit:
    For me this workaround fixed following issues...

- "battle starts" flashing in Wot, and flickering in game
    - White flickering in Skyrim
    - Flickering in Witcher 2

more tests to come.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  20. Morgemil

Morgemil Active Member

GPU:
    ati 5770 Vapor x
    After a couple of days of pure gpu stability bliss I can confirm that the 2d flickering issue is still present with 13.1 (even with hardware acceleration off on the web browser).